Thread: My PC won't play DVD's any more, HELP!

My PC won't play DVD's any more, HELP!

Hi, recently, my comuter seems to have stopped playing DVD's even ones that it has played in the past. I thinkg this problem might have started when I upgraded to a newer version of windows media player, if this is my problem does anyone know of a way arround it, as I doubt Microsoft will have been kind enough to actualy let me remove whatever has ruined my computer if I try and uninstall it.

So, if anyone has experienced the same problem, or knows how to help me out please let me know, as this is realy anoying me now.

Andrew.
    Bigparsnip.

i never used W.M.P. junk

i use WinDVD, it's the best DVD player

some other likes PowerDVD, but is just a WMP plug in

now for a good and FREE alternative

get WinAMP full 2.8 or 3.x then install the DVD plug in

go here for the links http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...ght=DVD+WinAmp
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Ultimate Member
    Have you tried running the DVD in another non-media player app, like Win-DVD for example?

Also have you done anythign with your mobo drivers of late?

--Jakk

you could try

http://www.maximusdvd.com/
    then look at the details of the "download" page

what ver of windows do you have / of media player
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309321
    Last edited by dave-harper; 06-14-2003 at 03:43 PM.

I do normaly run in Win-DVD, but it has justed stopped working, so I also tried media player, and that had the same problems.

One thing I have noticed since then is that I walso installed new drivers for my graphics card, which supports a TV out, and the software doesn't like to put the video out on that without macrovision enabled, so I think this might be one problem. So, now I am trying again with some old drivers to see if that effects the playback at all.
    Bigparsnip.

RE-install WinDVD

i've seen that before, if WinDVD stops working, is cuz some other software, messed up with the DVD extension in the registry

a re-install of WinDVD will cure that

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

i managed to sort it by installing an older driver for my video card, I can only assume that the newer driverr told Win-DVD that it had no macrovision, and it didn't like it, so threw a wobbler. But, now, if I can find a coppy of the driver beofre last I wass using so I don't have to use the default windows XP one, I should be ok.
    Bigparsnip.