Thread: Coolbits+ vs. Rivatuner

Coolbits+ vs. Rivatuner

Jakk. Just wanted to ask if you actually gained that much more control over your card using the Rivatuner over the the Coolbits+ reg entry? And thanks for the help. Using these tools I was able to discover that my pc was just limping along at about only half of it's capability. My initial 3dmark2001 scores have been lifted from just over 5K to over 9K with no overclocking of GPU or CPU. That might come later.

win xp
    xp2000
    512 2700 ddr
    pcchips 830/ecs ks75a

Yes he actually did.
    Once you try RivaTuner you can never go back
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Just out of interest GrowingSlowly, what did you do to add 4000 points to your 3DMark score? That's good going

Ultimate Member
    In temr sof plain old overclockign they both do the same thing no real difference, however i find the interface of Rivatuner miuch friendlier and also it centralises all of the options for generla graphics card tweaking from one menu, making it easy to adjust your graphical settings. Coolbits only does overclockign so for general setting chages you gave to wade though loads of control panel pages.

Stick to rivatuner, for a few hundred KB's its a great proggy

--Jakk

Just out of interest GrowingSlowly, what did you do to add 4000 points to your 3DMark score? That's good going

Basically I just read some of these forums about video cards, overclocking and such. There are so many good ideas. Also, since I had never ran a benchmark on the system, I had no idea how it was actually performing. Hey, it looked pretty good to me since I was comparing it to my old pc (200MMX). I discovered that I was running at only 1X on my video card. Cranking it up to 4X gave me my biggest jump. After that it was just a bunch of different settings changes. Mostly in the bios settings. They all add up. Maybe pretty soon I will try some overclocking. 10 - 20% more would seem feasable from what I have read.

Just FYI. My first score was 4973. Now it runs a 9176.

Yeah, overclocking's the way - it's feasible to expect 1500-2000 more points at least with a bit of modest card/CPU overclocking. Jakk is of course spot on about RivaTuner - his guide is well worth a look if you're starting out (a link to it's on the main SysOpt page) Good luck

Yes. It would be nice to break the 10K level. I would like to do it with just the system tweaks. There are so many setting on Riva tuner. It would be nice to have a wash list of the settings that give real performace boosts. Does anyone know right off hand if using a pc as a server will knock down its scores? I would imagine it would.

After that, I may overclock some just for the fun of it. I will have to flash the bios on this MB (830/k7s5a). I have the flash just sitting here waiting for the proper time.

Ultimate Member
    In rivatuner under the direct 3d tab you want to be sure Antialisaing is disabled, Anisotropic filtering is set to 0 and vsync is forced off, when benchamarkign in 3dmark

--Jakk

Well, they arn't off right now but I will put them there right now for this next run. Since I don't really know what these things do (I could make a guess but don't want to) I just want to know if I should leave them that way? I don't want to sacrifice video quality for the sake of bench mark numbers if you know what I mean.

Thanks Jakk.

Ultimate Member
    ALways run lowest detail and quality for benchmarks, then put em back to the levels you liek afterwards for general usage

--Jakk