Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help building a gaming computer

help building a gaming computer

I've recently found the vast superiority of computer games (vs. console games) but lack a computer properly equipped to handle modern computer games.

After some shopping, I've decided to build my own computer.

(I've found that building a computer on your own is much, much cheaper than getting one off the shelf. (right?))

Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about anything when it comes to computer parts (what's needed, what's best, what's cheapest, where to go, etc.)

Any help on this would be great!

minimum 512 Mb of RAM

and try to get at least an ATI 9800, it well worth the extra bucks in the long run

any cpu above 1.5 Ghz and hdd space you like

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Ultimate Member
    and try to get at least an ATI 9800,
    At least... you cant get any faster, well until the FX5900 arrives

Mobo: Asus A7n8x Deluxe
    Mem: 512mb good quality PC2700 (from crucial etc)
    gfx: Radeon 9500 Pro 128mb minimum
    CPU: Amd XP2500+ barton

that should serve as a decent platform

--Jakk

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is an ATI 9800? This is all new to me. What does gfx and Mobo stand for? (I've got to start somewhere)
    Last edited by Darktoad; 05-29-2003 at 04:55 PM.

Not so sure about building one being a lot cheaper than buying a pre-built system. Add up the cost of your components and then look at the price of a comparable name-brand PC to see how you're doing. Make sure to include the cost of the operating system, monitor, and any peripherals that would come with the PC (mouse, keyboard, cables, etc.)

General component list:
    CPU
    Heat sink (if not using stock)
    Memory
    PC Case/Power Supply (don't go too cheap on this)
    Motherboard
    Video Card
    Sound Card (probably built-in is OK)
    Network Card (again, may use built-in)
    Hard Drive
    CD-ROM/CD-RW
    Case Fans
    Monitor
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Modem

Ultimate Member
    Oh dear, the ATi radeon 9800 PPRo is just about the fastest graphics card goign at the moment. Just enter the words 'radeon 9800 pro review' into google.com's search and you'll get an idea of how fast it is

--Jakk

Most of the Stuff that BOB said can be RECYCLED from the old PC

so what you really need NEW is just the

CPU
    Mobo
    RAM
    Video card

and what we said earlier is good, and will keep you going for at least year to 2 year before any other upgrade

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Invest in a good motherboard that is very upgradable. If you lack an very upgradable mobo, youll be kicking yourself. That means,

-several slots for RAM (use DDR RAM, there are different speeds of it, ask a salesman),NO SDRAM like "133"!
    -a board that can use an Intel chip with Hyper Threading (you dont need this chip but get a board that supports it for the future, and many pople here like AMD better-whatever!) some1 mentioned a decent speed beforehand that was like 1.5 or 1.8 which are okay for now and awhile longer
    -a FX nNvida card (not geforce 3 or 4) or an ATI card like these other guys said, i dont know ATI that well. There are several types of FX cards, FX"MX##" are the cheaper end. whatever you can affort thats "FX"
    -a KDS or Viewsonic monitor gets you a lot for your buck. Flat screen = antiglare but thats it and you pay plenty for that benefit
    dont get a LCD screen (its that really narrow flat panel thing). You can get KDS at walmart (i hate to say it, thats the only thing you might get at that store for your computer.
    -Get a hard drive that spins at 7200 revs per minute with a good 8 meg cache . you dont need mutiple drives and RAID or SATA. just one good, fast, drive for some1 one a budget.

If you can afford more ram above 512Mb then it is a real plus.
    Some of my demanding games already eat up 300-360megs.
    So figure that xp eats up ram (that is if you want to use that os)
    then try and aim for more.

But many people here like win 98 se for gaming. Not me. I hate the one program goes koo koo and you have to reboot because after you close the offending program you get that damm blue screen. Also XP supports more ram. I think win 2000 is also a good choice (less resource hungry).

So all in all in my opinion win 2000 with a minimum of 512MB DDR the more the better.
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

Darktoad,

1stly, welcome to Sysopt.

2ndly, I had a whole schpiel typed up for you. But then I read it and realized that *yet again* I'll confuse someone beyond repair.

What you should do is not build your own. You're not going to manage that, then you'll get turned off to pc's. My advice is that you go down to a popular custom builder of good repute in your area. Please for dog's sake do not buy a Compaq, Hewlett Packard, Packard [-]ell, Sony, or even Gateway or Dell. Actually the latter two are ok in my book. But a custom builder will still do better than any proprietary system.

http://www.totallyawesome.com/guide.htm

This is a guide for the custom builder in my area that I've used. If you know how to build it, then do it. Otherwise read this and try to follow its advice. It'll help n00bies come to terms with present day technology.

ß
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

I dont often do this.. but for gaming ure better off buying an intel chip (please hold the flaming)... operating some opengl games(quake3 ,jedi outcast) ull be better off wit the intel... 2nd, if u mess up on a heatsink install wit a P4 (yes pentium 4) u wont fry ure components it was designed to be nearly idiot proof. If u will get a pentium then i say go ahead build ure system and dont look bak.

Personally i use AMD there is noting wrong wit them. they only thing u have to worry about is cooling. however with an AMD u have to be alot more careful during the installation process. But u will save a hell lot more money goin the amd route.

3 things to remeber..

1) if ure gonna play online make shure u have a good connection
    2)Never buy LATEST AND GR8EST..... ull only waste ure money.. often a 10% increase in performance is 50% increase in price..
    3) if ure gonna build ure system read as much as possible about it.. its not that hard im an idiot (just look at my grammer) i can build a computer

If i was building a computer today,

ASUS a7n8x
    amd 2500
    2x256 of ram (pc3200)
    ati 9700 or 9500pro

I've found a reliable, eight-month old used Dell computer that should work well, it's only problems are its graphics card and its RAM, I think. It has a ATI 32 MB graphics card and 256 MB of RAM. For a graphics card, should I go to 64 MB or 128MB? (I think I'll get an nNvidea.) And do I need to upgrade to 512 MB of RAM?

Ultimate Member
    For a graphics card, should I go to 64 MB or 128MB? (I think I'll get an nNvidea.) And do I need to upgrade to 512 MB of RAM?
    128mb gfx, if you must go nvidia make sure you get a gf4 'ti' card, as for the system RAM, upping it to 512mb would be a good idea

--Jakk

What you should do is not build your own. You're not going to manage that
    I wouldnt say that personally, I didnt know a thing about comps ( no exxageration, I knew nothing ) and I've built the system i use now from scratch, and ive learnt loads by doing it.
    All that's needed is the will to learn and some1 who knows what they're doing giving you the odd helping hand along the way.
    My system is primarily for gaming, but it's not really a state of the art machine any more...

But anyway, I say build it yourself..

BiG MiKeY,

What OpenGL problems have you had with Q3 & JKII? I've run both of these on Athlon XP's, one with VIA and one with Nvidia chipset. Never even had so much as a hiccup. ?

And Darktoad, you say you've found a reliable Dell 8 month old...can you post a link to its description please. We'd like to see if it's sufficient. I'd hate to pair you up with a P4 SDRAM based system for gaming.

Windows XP needs 256 meg to run correctly. 512 is ideal. I manage with 256 myself though, but game mostly on my 98 partition.

I'm all for people building themselves, if they have the aptitude. If they don't please take no offence. I lack the aptitude for, hmmmm, well anything to do with everything-but-computers.... @ self.

How much are you willing to spend on a gaming rig? My first one I invested over $2000. Today you can build a great rig for $600, and a superior one for $1500.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell