Thread: Resetting your cars computer.

Resetting your cars computer.

Hey guys and gals, just learned me somethin this weekend. How to reset your cars computer. Had a friend do his truck and then I did mine and man does it idle better and run better. If you are interested just crank up your car or truck and unhook the positive lead while its still running. I know it works on Blazers and Suburbans, but not sure if or how it will work on other vehicles. Just a thought for the computer minded

old news

no brainer

you just need to take out the battery for while, then connect it back

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Intimate Member
    While you are at it...understand that the battery is the load for the alternator. Normally the regulator takes care of overvoltage getting into the cars electronics...which will fry up well done on any voltage much over 16 VDC. An alternator is capable of an output of more than 20 VDC.. and the regulator is the only device between you, the alternator and disaster.

Consider you and your friend as lucky...very lucky.

Better to remove the positive battery terminal for an hour or so and let the capacitors have time to bleed off any stored up energy and reset the computer that way

Gone
    My toyota celica needed the computer changed. After I did that I reset it to put it back in "learn" mode which it defaults to after clearing it. Just like cmos on pc's but with the ability to change settings for you as needed. Anyhow you had to disconect batt. then short it by holding pos. and neg. cables together for 5 secs. Car off of course! I learned that the first time when the old comp went bad. Just like yu turned the key off but with key still on the engine woul;d cut out while driving down road. THe coil would just die. Reset and away it would go agan for a couple 100 miles. Got sick of it finaly and replaced it.

HOLY Dangerous, cutting out in middle of a Down hill roll
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Gone
    Nah it was a manual, just let the clutch out...what was bad was when my clutch master cylinder went out in a intersection during rush hour trafic Had to shut off, stuck in first, wait for clearing then crank it and go quick spinning the tires and ripping into dif gears, LOL. Thought I wasnt gonna make it home hehe. that was bad!

I have a Buick LaSabre and the engine "check light" came and stayed "on". General Motors has diagnostic center that will determine the problem. The charge is a minimum of $70.00 just to turn off the light even if there is no existing problem.

My regular mechanic (relative) stated my problem was due to not replacing the gas cap tightly. Air got into the gas tank and caused what appeared to be an emission problem. He has a high priced diagnostic unit and the high price to do a diagnostic is pay back for the expensive unit.

Apparently, then just removing the battery terminal for awhile will turn off the "check light" . That certainly makes sense as it will have a resetting affect. I hadn't thought of that! Thanks.

I believe I read somewhere it is better to unhook the negative side of the battery as there is less chance of damage to the computer.