Thread: cannot install w2k on soyo dragon plus with WD80 drives

cannot install w2k on soyo dragon plus with WD80 drives

I can install windows 98 just fine everytime, but I cannot install w2k at all. I am using the boot disks, and they all work fine, and then when prompted, I insert the w2k disk. It copies the files needed to install w2k, and then properly reboots. This is where the issue is. After the reboot, I get an error message "NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND". If I was able to install w98_se, why can't I get w2k to install?
    I have the Soyo Dragon Plus MB with a duron 700, and a WD80gig drive set to Cable Select. Would this be some sort of issue with the drive parameters in the BIOS (sectors, cyl, heads, ect), or maybe the LBA,Large settings? I am confused, have tried a lot of things, and need some assistance. I read a few months ago that others with the same MB/HDD combo were having the same issues, but I was never able to find out if they succeeded in installing the w2k OS.

tia, ds1919

It's because you connected the hard drive to the RAID controller, but neglected to load the drivers for it. Use the floppy with the RAID drivers by pressing F6 at the start of setup (see the screen bottom for a prompt). You will be asked for the floppy later.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hmm...the board supports SATA, but I see no RAID support. Is SATA enabled in BIOS? Make sure that you keep it disabled (unless youre using it) and the the boot sequence is correct. Win98 is much more foriving of these problems than Win2K.

If you're using SATA, you must load the drivers for it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I forgot to mention that I am not using the RAID controllers. I am using IDE-0. Hardware RAID, which is supported in the BIOS, is turned off to make sure it isnt part of the issue. This is a Soyo Dragon Plus K7V, and I dont think it supports SATA, I didnt see "any" documentation about SATA in the book. I got the board in October of 2002...
    So RAID is off. Before, when I first got the whole box put together, I wanted to have two WD80 drives mirror with RAID. I tried installing the drivers when I was trying to install the w2k OS. What a mess that was. The drivers would not install during the process (yes, I did press F6). It would give me an error on line (something, cant remember now) of the RAID drivers. So I just gave up on RAID and tried to install w2k on the HDD on IDE-0.
    Another issue is Formatting. Depending on how I set the drive in the BIOS (CHS, LBA, LARGE) it takes a different amount of time to format the drive, and after its done, I get different reports on the size of the drive. I even tried to use the WD drive software disc to get the drive ready, but it reported that the drive was ready and fine, and nothing was neccessary. I wrote 0's to the drive to start over and that did not help either.
    I am wondering if because I am using WD drives if that is what is making this difficult, I dont know. I'm kinda afraid to format the drive again because I get afraid that it wont install w98_se again...got any ideas?

thanks Bipolar!

you know, I'm wondering if the issue is with either the way the drive is formatted, or the way it is reported in BIOS (sectors, heads, ect). It seems that after reboot on the w2k install (after the w2k disc copies install files) it cannot find the files. Were they copied to the wrong inodes? were they deleted for some reason? Were they not copied to the master boot record?

First be sure that the jumpers are correct for the WD. Remove all jumpers if it's master with no slave.

Second, why are you messing with the drive configuration? Set it to Auto and leave it alone. You should really set default and start over. You'll have to format again. Don't use FDISK - use Win2K/XP setup to format.

Third, I hate Soyo. They call all of their 600 or so motherboards Dragons.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I got the jumpers on the drive set to the factory default of cable select (which I had never used till this drive). I also removed the jumper for the stand alone drive. no difference, they both are seen by the Soyo BIOS.

Now for the BIOS settings! here's a laugh. When I had the drive set to AUTO, the BIOS would see the drive, but would lock up during the BIOS post with a DMA issue. AUTO does not work. LBA and LARGE did not work. I was able to get thru the entire BIOS post with CHS (didnt matter if the Jumper was on and set to cable select or off). So I had to mess with the drive configs.

I only formatted with Fdisk when I wanted to roll back to w98_se. It took one hell of a long time to format with the w2k ntfs formatter, around 1 hour or more....is that how long it should take with a 80gig drive? With w98 formatter, it took around 7 minutes......which one is correct? this is with no other adjustments...

It does take a long time to format in setup.

Have you updated your BIOS?
    MS MCP, MCSE

yep, BIOS updated to latest release.

Gone
    Honestly it sounds like the IDE controler in that mobo sucks. If auto dont work move on. Try a pci controler. Cause somthing is not right with that mobo.

hmmm, okay, I'll try that.

Ever hear of this issue where w98 installs but w2k wont? My bet is the BIOS settings, hence the controller, I guess...

thanks