Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates isnt all bad afterall

Originally posted by mrt1212
    hate the game, not the player.

what would you suggest bill do to appease all his critics?

I suggest he let companies like HP and Dell put whatever OS with whatever hardware and whatever Internet Browser they want..simple really!

saying you have no choice but to use windows is not true at all. making up excuses as to why you were compelled to use windows doesnt cut it because at the end you all have freedom of choice to go to the competitors. if youre too lazy or if the alternates dont support what you want to do, or it costs too much, thats just the way it is.

Ok, so I'm too lazy to fight a Giant corporation that would trample my very efforts (sigh)... And what the hell do you mean "that's the way it is??". That's the way it is because Microsoft(being a monopoly) controls the prices

if you want to change it start working on your own OS, support competitors.
    What competitors????? I'd love to start working on my OS, too bad I'm not a programer!

but dont go on and on about how terrible MS is

I didn't go on about how terrible MS (well I did a little) is, I even went out of my way to say there were some great OS's out there (I like win2k and to an extent xp).

and bill is because hes just running the business the best way he knows how
    Yea, the illegal way(or at the very least, bending the rules but not technically breaking them)

what it comes down to it is I like some of his OS's but I don't care for his business practices..and to be fair he isn't the only one I don't care for..I really don't like big business as a whole!

and hes doing a fairly well job of it. if anyone else was in his situation they would do the same thing.

Spoken like a true Corporate CEO wannabe!
    :

Bill Gates is just a bad brillient saleman.
    Last edited by GamerBoyFranco; 05-24-2003 at 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by mireland

lovely??). Oh and there is the fact he wants to move his operations to India so he can hire a bunch of poor indians and pay them 2 bucks an hour so he can make even MORE money(as if he doesn't have enough already).

Yea why dosent he give work to us hard working Americans, were the one who made him RICH$$$$ not the people on H1 visas.

What im saying mrt1212 and cdroman is he charges too much for crappy software. If it wasnt so riddled with flaws and holes, then it would be better.

If he slashed the price (which, btw, he makes 80%profit on windows) and didnt release betas (which is basiclly the first verson of his software until the service packs come along) then i couldnt argue with it.

But inflated prices for bad software, it just doenst go well for me.

Originally posted by GamerBoyFranco

Yea why dosent he give work to us hard working Americans, were the one who made him RICH$$$$ not the people on H1 visas.
    Everybody in the world is hard working, what is it with some of you americans and you think you are the only ones in the world that actually do any work?

Get a life.

i think Windows XP is a pretty good OS. it may be slow but it's easy to use and it's pretty stable. the thing i hate about Bill Gates is how much the price of Windows is. look at this page right here
    http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/P...p?siteID=11052

for Windows XP Home, it will cost you $200 US per computer. in my house there are 3 computers. if i wanted to put Windows on all 3, that would cost me $600 (US currency).
    "No human investigation can be called real science if it cannot be
    demonstrated mathematically." -- Leonardo da Vinci

As for all the Bill's not so bad a guy folks out there. You missed the other article on Cnet where Gates is throwing his weight and money behind SCO who has a billion dollar lawsuit against who?
    That's right " Linux" who they claim is violating they're rights to the unix code. I wonder why he would do that????? Duh huh.
    Seems he's a little ticked off that Dell and Hp are putting out low cost laptops by the hundreds of thousands with Linux softwae on them instead of his.
    I have nothing against sucessful entrprenuers or how rich they are or etc. but I am for free enterprise and when it constantly is choking out competition on the grounds of I've got more power than you it robs people all over the world of jobs and opportunities. The same opprtunities that got the Gates of the world where they are today.
    Don't believe me though, read the article. M$ is in this for the money and to sqaush Linux because it is quickly becoming a formidable competitor in the marketplace. SCO is about to belly up anyway so what have they got to lose. This is M$ way to try to bash Linux and IBM at the same time by hiding behind a failing company and getting it to take the blame for the dirty work.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Greg Harper; 05-24-2003 at 08:57 PM.
    gch306

mireland.

dell and HP are free to put whatever OS they want on their computers. the thing is business wise it doesnt make sense for them to do so. until it becomes economicly viable for them to give the finger to MS they wont.

the way it is means, microsoft can charge whatever they want for their software.

microsoft isnt a monopoly either. there is Mac and there is *nix systems along with Beos and some other lesser known ones. the problem is that you arent willing to use the competition.

and im aiming to be a audio engineer not a suit. but i do appreciate what they do.

Greg Harper;

What you say is probably true. But is typical of big powerful corporations. They are ruthless and show no mercy for the little guy. Walmart comes to mind; they will drive all their competition into bankruptcy by lowballing prices which small companies cannot possibly compete with. Consumers in turn get used to the lower prices and do not support the small businesses further driving them out. MS is at a distinct advantage for now as they generally have the best products, and they are doing whatever they can to maintain this advantage. But remember when you are at the top, there is only one way to go, down, or fight like hell to stay where you are.
    Furthermore, there is the possibility that MS will take the Walmart stance if a viable competitor emerges. That would be good and bad.
    Last edited by cdroman; 05-24-2003 at 09:08 PM.

mrt1212, how can you say MS isnt a monopoly???

His software is running on 90% of all PCs around the world
    And when someone trys to do their own thing, he stifles them out with the shear amount of money he has in the bank (something like 40billion) and influence he has on the industry.

If that isnt a monopoly, i would really hate to see what is.

Dell and Hp are already using Linux ,not MS, on their laptops overseas. It's in the article. Also Walmart has out a full line of low end computers that use Lindows. Which is a Linux based system.
    My point was the way M$ is hiding behind SCO which is sueing Linux over what they call Unix code violations even though they had a Linux product themselves on the market up until a year ago with Caldera.
    I'd bet the farm on if SCO was sueing Mac and it's computer OEM's over the same thing instead of Linux and IBM that M$ wouldn't have a **** thing to do with it. But they jumped head first into this one when the chance arose.
    The only reason Gates would be interested in what is considered as yet a fledgling market is because he's a smart guy and recognizes a real threat way before it bites him. How do you think he got where he is.He's much more of a businessman than a computer geek
    gch306

because i can point to rival companies that make rival operating systems! you might not like the options but that doesnt mean they arent there.

Originally posted by mrt1212
    mireland.

dell and HP are free to put whatever OS they want on their computers. the thing is business wise it doesnt make sense for them to do so. until it becomes economicly viable for them to give the finger to MS they wont.

the way it is means, microsoft can charge whatever they want for their software.

microsoft isnt a monopoly either. there is Mac and there is *nix systems along with Beos and some other lesser known ones. the problem is that you arent willing to use the competition.

and im aiming to be a audio engineer not a suit. but i do appreciate what they do.
    So if Microsoft decided to go back to windows 3.11 and charge $10,000 for it you would be more than happy to buy it?????

I think we better agree to disagree at this point and leave it at that.

mireland, i wouldnt buy it. i would use an alternative OS. they do exsist...

Originally posted by Greg Harper
    Dell and Hp are already using Linux ,not MS, on their laptops overseas. It's in the article. Also Walmart has out a full line of low end computers that use Lindows. Which is a Linux based system.
    My point was the way M$ is hiding behind SCO which is sueing Linux over what they call Unix code violations even though they had a Linux product themselves on the market up until a year ago with Caldera.
    I'd bet the farm on if SCO was sueing Mac and it's computer OEM's over the same thing instead of Linux and IBM that M$ wouldn't have a **** thing to do with it. But they jumped head first into this one when the chance arose.
    The only reason Gates would be interested in what is considered as yet a fledgling market is because he's a smart guy and recognizes a real threat way before it bites him. How do you think he got where he is.He's much more of a businessman than a computer geek
    Microsoft gets into more things other than trying to stifle open source. You do know they have won awards for software that integrates with open source.http://www.vnunet.com/News/1138313