Thread: Bill Gates isnt all bad afterall

yeah, roll your eyes.

Originally posted by mrt1212
    yeah, roll your eyes.
    Yea, ok....

wouldn't be suprised if Gates himself sends spam
    JD

i'll bet he does.

explain how bill gates is bad and what you would have done differently to become what microsoft has become. or do you not have the vision he did. hes done what it takes and just because you think youre stuck with it doesnt mean you should ***** day in and out about your self slavery.

dont like bill, why support him with your $

Successful people always get scoldings from other people who are not successful! Human nature...
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Ultimate Member
    Most people dont...

--Jakk

Personally, I think Hotmail is excellent for dealing with spam, although it generates a lot of it. Setting the Junk Mail Filter to EXCLUSIVE channels all the e-mail from those not listed in my Hotmail address book to a single folder.

This is important. Nothing gets automatically deleted. Many sources, such as my medical provider, send out e-mail consistent with spam type e-mail. Under an automatic system, these would get deleted.

But under Hotmail, I know that almost undoubtly anything in that folder will be junk. I just quickly check the headers and usually just delete the entire contents!

Hotmail also allows me to download to OE with the spam in its own folder.

I don't believe that spam can be eliminated. But it can be segregated and controlled!

Plus, I don't have to pay for it...yet!
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

I get very little spam in my hotmail acct. Once I've used it for signing up for apps and I do start getting spam, I just get a different acct.

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa

Most people dont...

--Jakk
    The only problem with that is: if you don't know someone, how can you dislike him?

explain how bill gates is bad and what you would have done differently to become what microsoft has become. or do you not have the vision he did. hes done what it takes and just because you think youre stuck with it doesnt mean you should ***** day in and out about your self slavery.

Well, I need a computer--it requires an OS to work. Thanks to Bill Gates monopliistic greed I have no choice but to use Windows(I could use Linux and someday I might switch). Now I see him as a dual edge sword..He has came out with some great OS that does what I want to do and seem to work. On the other hand he sets the price I pay for the the darn thing and makes it impossible for an average joe like me to actually AFFORD the **** thing. Than he decides to come out with OS's (Like XP) That practically REQUIRE Gate's permission in order to upgrade the pc(isn't that lovely??). Oh and there is the fact he wants to move his operations to India so he can hire a bunch of poor indians and pay them 2 bucks an hour so he can make even MORE money(as if he doesn't have enough already). I don't want to support Bill Gates. Actually I don't(I'm not gonna say how I've gotten around him, cause that subject is taboo here!). As soon as I learn Linux better and Gates lets them be part of the free market, than I may switch to Linux. Bill gates is a Monopoly and needs to be broken up!

Have a nice day.

oh and one more thing...when you purchase a pc what OS comes on it...You guessed it WINDOWS!!. Can you ask dell to put Linux or OS2 on the machine if that's what you want...NOPE! Now does that sound like a free market system to you..Doesn't to me
    Last edited by mireland; 05-24-2003 at 11:22 AM.

"The government cant really tax it. It may tax your ISP bill, but it cant really tax your email considering it is part of a service, and not the service itself."

If unwanted/junk mail is eliminated, then the ISP could theoretically bill for line service (user taxed) and additional bill for e-mail (payment for their space). The government could then tax (stamp) e-mail based on volume separate from the line service. I see a conspiracy developing.

They could charge you for their webhosting space for you email. But then they couldnt advertise "free email." And even if they did do that, most ppl have enough knowledge to say no, and go and create their own hotmail/yahoo/whatever account, free.

Besides, i dont think reducing/elimating taxes in one area (Bush's tax cut) just to create a new tax somewhere else (email) would fit well with Bush's re-election plans, as he keeps saying the tax cut is to help the common person, when this new tax would take mostly from them.

O, and about the hating Bill thing.

Well, look at it this way. Do i want to play games? Yes. What OS do i pretty much have no choice but to use? Windows. Do i want software compatibility both with older and newer software? Yes. What OS is the most supported? Windows. Do i want to buy a computer from an OEM? No, but for shake of argument, Yes. What OS comes preloaded on 90% of them? Windows.

As you can see, i have very little choice. And when he comes out wiht a new OS every goddamn year, and charges $200 for the **** thing, and pretty much forces you to upgrade, or be left behind. Not to mention when his software is first released, its usually buggier then an ant hill, and your forced to update it constantly. This doesnt win many people over.

Of course we have Linux + Wine. But that just isnt enough right now. It never will be enough until developers give us a choice. But weve seen Bill get mad at developers, and accidently "break" their software in Windows. (Anyone remember when Mozilla or Opera, or some other open source browser wouldnt be able to display Windows website correctly?)
    Last edited by Slade54; 05-24-2003 at 11:47 AM.

hate the game, not the player.

what would you suggest bill do to appease all his critics?

saying you have no choice but to use windows is not true at all. making up excuses as to why you were compelled to use windows doesnt cut it because at the end you all have freedom of choice to go to the competitors. if youre too lazy or if the alternates dont support what you want to do, or it costs too much, thats just the way it is.

if you want to change it start working on your own OS, support competitors. but dont go on and on about how terrible MS and bill is because hes just running the business the best way he knows how and hes doing a fairly well job of it. if anyone else was in his situation they would do the same thing.

hate the game, not the player.

what would you suggest bill do to appease all his critics?

saying you have no choice but to use windows is not true at all. making up excuses as to why you were compelled to use windows doesnt cut it because at the end you all have freedom of choice to go to the competitors. if youre too lazy or if the alternates dont support what you want to do, or it costs too much, thats just the way it is.

if you want to change it start working on your own OS, support competitors. but dont go on and on about how terrible MS and bill is because hes just running the business the best way he knows how and hes doing a fairly well job of it. if anyone else was in his situation they would do the same thing.
    Ditto.

If someone can write a better 10 million lines of code than XP, and want to give it away, I'll take it. 90% of pc's come with a windows OS because if they didn't 90% of the people that buy pc's wouldn't because they would consider them too difficult to use. I'm not partial to any company, but MS does make some products that are difficult to beat and any oligopoly or monopoly will try to continue to have a stranglehold on their territory. That's just the way it is.