Thread: Panaflo fans, fan speed control, and Barton XP temps...

Panaflo fans, fan speed control, and Barton XP temps...

Hey folks.

I'm curious as to how fan speed controls work. I assume they just adjust the voltage that goes to the fan it's hooked up to, correct?
    Bunch more questions on this subject, don't mind me.
    If you need a certain molex connector, what type would it be (the control I had in mind if it matters is a Vantec NXP101)?
    What sort of control over the speed do you have? little to half speed? Or around 0 to full rpm?
    I know it' shard to answer questions like that seeing as things like external controls and fans are very different, but even a very rough approximation would be handy. I wanna know what 'm getting myself into.
    And would it be better to start with a high or low rpm fan?
    I've never done, or seen it done before, and couldn't find a lot of detailed info on it anywhere.

Also, I was wondering about the heat output of the Barton XP's. I imagined they'd be lower than thoroughbreds (sp?) seeings as they run at a lower clock speed and have a larger core area. Allthough, it's easy to be wrong when assuming anything.
    Would putting a low rev fan with a Thermalright SLK-800U heatsink on a 2500/2800+ be unwise?
    I've only seen benchmarks and thermal data for cpus as high as 2200+ and 2.4 ghz with the 800U. They weren't bartons though, so I haven't been able ot answer that one myself.

Ta very much.
    Last edited by Sarlok; 05-21-2003 at 03:16 AM.
    When you kill one, it is a tragedy. When you kill 10 million, it is a statistic.

Your temps if your ambient is 75F would be around 100F with that setup on a Barton 2500 core stock. They don't build up much heat from what I've experienced and read. The multiplier just locks at 12.5 as it's highest point, so eventually you will need high quality RAM to hit the highest of overclocks

Fan speed controllers usually work one of two ways.

They do it by changing the resistance or the voltage.

a 10K pot will work fine as a fan contoller for fans rated 0.2A (2.4 watts) It will change the speed similar to a volume control.

You can also use a zener diode to drop the voltage and change the fan speed. The diode will drop the voltage by a fixed rate.
    If you use 1 diode you get a 2 speed fan, use 2 diodes with different values and you get a 3 speed fan.

The fan controller you're refering to is most likely a pot.

The Barton still puts out alot of heat. It is designed a bit better for heat transfer,but it still takes a hefty cooler to keep it cool. That means a good fan also.
    If you're going to go and spend money on a highend heatsink then get a really good fan as well, if it's too noisy then that's why you're getting a fan speed controller right?

Originally posted by 2penguins
    If you're going to go and spend money on a highend heatsink then get a really good fan as well, if it's too noisy then that's why you're getting a fan speed controller right?
    Exactly. I'm aiming for light weight, mobility, and sielence with my new pc. (Aluminum case, the SLK 800U heatsink and an 80mm Panaflow fan - around 21 db of noise and 30 or so cfm).
    I can get the Panaflo at 3000 or 5000 rpm, and from what I've heard they're pretty good fans.

If I wasn't likely to cart my pc around to LAN party's and such (And there's the possiblity of changing countries in the near future), I'd invest in a water cooling setup.
    When you kill one, it is a tragedy. When you kill 10 million, it is a statistic.

if u want low noise and portability, get an slk900, plus a quiet 92mm fan

the 900 will allow a quieter fan at the same cfm as an 800

Originally posted by ichorid
    if u want low noise and portability, get an slk900, plus a quiet 92mm fan

the 900 will allow a quieter fan at the same cfm as an 800
    I wanted to do that, but the 900 isn't the best fit on the mainboard I'm going to use (Asus A7N8X Deluxe).

Either way Dont get the (A) version go for the (U) slk -800 it will be easier to install ....try the smart fan TT nice fan wide variety of speeds...

DONT FORGET THE AS3