Thread: Cover on Power supply

Cover on Power supply

What is the reason that Power Supplies have covers on?

Will there be any problems with removing it, and how will that affect the cooling of the case overall??

Thanks guys

They got covers on because there is electricity in them. No company wants to be sued because people are dying while handling their power supplies lol. I wouldn't mess with it. If it's working fine, why mess with it?

In addition to hazzards and from a technical perspective, the cover will shield electromagnetic forces (EMF) and protect other near by charges from the magnetic influences that could disrupt their functon.

I am actually building a DivX box in an old DVD player case, and I want as few fans as possible to keep the noise down. I was wondering how taking the cover off the Power Supply would affect overall case heat, but as it doesnt seem the safest idea for the other components (or me!) I'll think of something else (and no, I cant afford loads of water-cooling).

Reason it's covered is because that is where the 240volt/13amp mains input gets converted to 12v and 5v. not many die from those voltages, but plenty do from the mains, bein ac, will also electrocute you by holding you to the current until a fuse trips. Equally at those ratings the voltage and ampage can "jump" so you don't really need to touch it to fry more than your motherboard.

It's covered because it is lethally dangerous. Don't mess.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

hi

if you come in contact with 240volts ,you will probably be thrown
    somewhere,120volts you can be hung on it till you die or some one turns off the power ,if you depend on the fuze to trip ,you will be going on a different trip,horzontal

120 volt kills

If u want to take ur power supply cover off go ahed, just dont be STUPID, dont touch anything inside while the power is on. If u have to modify something on the power supply > Turn it OFF > Then Disconect the power cable > Then POWER UP ur computer with the power supply off, so that the computer use any electric charges the power supply may still be holding in its condensators.

!!! What ever u do never touch the condensator conectors, build on my own experince, it F***ING hurts when u get a discharge from the condensator, theoreticly the discharge is 10 times more than the actual input voltage. I had a mark on my finger for a month !!!

btw : i was runing a 250 wats power supply with no cover on for 2 years, now i bought a new case with a 350 wats in it, but the old thing is still good

I jaywalked for over twenty years, still do, and have not been run over twice. 6500 people in the uk can't say that each year. If he has to ask what the cover does, he's not competent enough to use it without it.

And just cos one got lucky does not mean another will.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Thats a "don't take the cover off" then!

"Then Disconect the power cable > Then POWER UP ur computer with the power supply off, so that the computer use any electric charges the power supply may still be holding in its condensators."

How does one POWER UP without AC cable connection to the power supply?
    Definitely short out any stored energy in a capacitor regardless of the circumstances. Also, one should be grounded to prevent any zapping of components due to a possible build up of a potential difference of the person and the component that may be touched while working inside the box.

I am surprised there is not a malfunction by transient signals and magnetic forces from an unshielded P/S. The P/S transforms AC to DC. With AC current powered into a coil of the PS, there is a magnetic field that expands and collapses external to the coil that can have a push and pull affect on charges of any adjacent components.

Don't take the cover off. For better cooling problems, use a fan.

Originally posted by KenKeith
    "Then Disconect the power cable > Then POWER UP ur computer with the power supply off, so that the computer use any electric charges the power supply may still be holding in its condensators."

How does one POWER UP without AC cable connection to the power supply?
    Definitely short out any stored energy in a capacitor regardless of the circumstances. Also, one should be grounded to prevent any zapping of components due to a possible build up of a potential difference of the person and the component that may be touched while working inside the box.

I am surprised there is not a malfunction by transient signals and magnetic forces from an unshielded P/S. The P/S transforms AC to DC. With AC current powered into a coil of the PS, there is a magnetic field that expands and collapses external to the coil that can have a push and pull affect on charges of any adjacent components.

Don't take the cover off. For better cooling problems, use a fan.
    this is not rocket science, power supplies has big capacitors in em that store up electricity...meaning that even if you unplug it it may still have a lil' bit of juice floating around in there...therefore it is not wise to open it up and start messing with anything if you don't know what your doing

this is not rocket science, power supplies has big capacitors in em that store up electricity...meaning that even if you unplug it it may still have a lil' bit of juice floating around in there...

Pulling the plug removes true ground and the cap will likely remain fully charged for a period of time. There would be a lot more than lil' bit of juice.
    If the PC is powered down with the "off" button there will be a discharge to ground. I believe reset just clears memory and registers. However, there may be a lil' bit of juice left under those circumstances.

I have built Durons using ATX cases designed for P3. And the HSF for the Duron does not fit the case withe its PS so I have to remove the PS cover. Have been running my PC for months without problems. There are now two of them I built. Just cover the mains with electrical tape before plugging in.

KenKeith u are right when u unplug the ac cable from the power supply, it loses its grounding, but the amount of energy is stored in the capasitor is not continious and can be easely absorbed througth the pc case. NOW again in order that this dosent hapend u HAVE TO POWER up the system with the cable unpluged. IN this case if a grounding is stil needed the pc case will take care of it. AND yes u can take the cover off its not such a big deal , just be careful about what ur touching.