Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is linux any good!!

Ultimate Member
    Do you ever do anything but bellyache

--Jakk

you know the best tool to make webpages is NOTEPAD, or basically any type of TEXT editor?

only people that can't understand codes needs wysiwyg webmaking softwares

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Banned
    only people that can't understand codes needs wysiwyg webmaking softwares
    If that is the case then way does Dreamweaver, Frontpage and Golive have full scale code editor. In fact the hand coding features of Dreamweaver and Golive will blow away notepad or heaven forbid VI.
    Also what type of site mangament does notepad or since this is a Linux thread VI have? Do they display a site map, check for broken links, auto or manual ftp, check for missing alt tags and many other site managment task? There are a lot of pure hand coders who use Dreamweaver just for the site magagment and its awsome code editor.
    Also WYSIWYG is not evil or the wrong way to design web sites. It is a different way. See some people such as myself see web design as art. Art is visual. So doesn't it make since to work with art in a visual method? WYSIWYG makes it tons easier for an artist to visualize thier design.
    And here is the #1 reason for WYSIWYG. It is just plan faster and in todays world time is money. If you can bang out 2 web sites with WYSIWYG for every 1 web site a hand coder makes you make twice as much money as him.
    Oh I have never seen someone who uses Dreamweaver not know any HTML code.

name 1 thing that you can do in Dreamweaver that you can't do in Mozilla aside from those gay flash buttons.
    "No human investigation can be called real science if it cannot be
    demonstrated mathematically." -- Leonardo da Vinci

You can check the size and hardware compatibility at www.mandrakelinux.com
    gch306

Banned
    Oh man I can’t believe you are naive enough to even suggest that. You honestly think that the free program Composer is equal to feature for feature to the $399 program Dreamweaver. Well you asked for it but I am not just sticking to one.
    #1 Javascript image rollover without coding (hey it isn’t the gay flash buttons)
    #2 Layers which allow to the pixel layout which can then be converted to tables
    #3 Insertion of database data from many types of sources
    #4 Full HTML reference
    #5 Frames without coding. I am very surprised at that one I searched all over for it in Composer and even searched for it in help and it came up blank.
    #6 Full forms support without coding
    #7 ability to create templates with special features, which speeds up creation of similar style pages.
    #8 full and very sophisticated CSS support without coding.
    #9 Javascript behaviors without coding for preload images, open browser window, check plugin, check browser and many other behaviors. Hey be glad I didn’t put all of that as separate features.
    #10 Create draggable layers without code
    #11 site map with links chart
    #12 Insert Word documents which preserves formatting
    #13 auto FTP which means when you hit the pretty save button Dreamweaver uploads it to site. Turned off by default
    #14 Dynamic tables which links to database app and updates site without coding. Also dynamic text
    #15 Animation of layers without coding
    #16 Create web photo album
    #17 auto complete tag when hand coding
    #18 color coding of HTML for easy error checking
    #19 some PHP without coding
    # 20 Cold fusion support
    # 21 Fireworks which is an awesome program support

That’s 21 and that is just a start. I say there are 150 to 200 features Dreamweaver has that Composer doesn’t have.
    Hey you asked for it.

Oh wait I have a vision you are going to deem those features gay so they magicaly won't count. I bet I bet. Linux cult is lame that way

Look, what's say we say you don't like Linux and delete this thread..

If I call things gay then I have magic? Kewl.
    I wasn't aware I was part of a cult. Let me be the first to proclaim myself head.

If you waste your time replying to ngc then he's made his point.As a member of the MS cult he'll argue any point. I use both systems and personally prefer not to limit myself so I'll continue to ignore him and do as I wish just as he will.
    The thread is about linux and where to find specs for mandrake. That has been provided I believe.
    Have a good day
    G. Harper
    gch306

I would recomend trying out eather Red Hat 9 or mandrake 9.1 dence it's your first time messing with the system. The biggest problems with linux is the lack gui config tools for many systems settings, so you will be in the command line a lot. It also lackes the gui consitincy of a windows or mac machine, with means that often diffrent programs look compleatly diffrent from each other (although redhat has done some work to minimize that).

Good luck with your ventures in linux land.

Just hearing that guy makes we want to try it!
    My pda is linux based and it is great!

hey look at my current number of post! It is the same as my celeron cpu in my note book!
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

Is Mandrake 9.1 much better than 9.0 if not then I've got Mandrake 9.0 CD's here that I'll give ya to save on the downloading.

I use mandrake 9.0 and win98SE, dual booting with a linux bootdisk. I agree with what was said about quicker downloading and it seems pretty stable don't exactly know how to test it, could do with prime95Linux if such a thing exists? But I can say it is hard to learn IMO, if I had to erase windows and live on Linux I'd find ordinary tasks rather difficult, need to get me that book.

Quit honestly Linux looks like a good system but learning to use it is like eating soup with a toothpick, can be done but requires a great deal of patience.
    It is great for geeks, but a disaster for time consumption.

I have Mdrk 9.0 and Star Office 5.2 on one partition to play with...the internet (Mozilla) is great but more intense apps. like my Printshop or Architectural design would require TOO many hours to learn even if the apps. were available, most are not.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

9.1 is more of a minor fixes, and More updated drivers, no much new stuff compared to 9.0

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Originally posted by ShawnD1
    i noticed that too. i could download a lot faster in Linux than in Windows
    That's BS. I've used them both and get the same d/l speeds.