Thread: Windows XP pro Password protection for networks

Windows XP pro Password protection for networks

Does anyone know how to restrict access to drives, folders, etc by password-only access?

I have a network with Windows XPpro as the main computer and 2 others using 98 and 95. Before I upgraded the main comp to XP I was able to allow access to the "c" drive, for example, with a password. I can no longer do this with XP and can only "share" it completely or not at all.

Anyone know how to setup these passwords?

Thanks

you cannot do password only access. This is by design. who wants to remember 5-10 extra passwords to get to network resources?

You should use ntfs permissions to restrict the users by their logon. if their user account doesn't have the proper permissions, then they can't open the folder. clean and simple. one logon and password to control all access.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the user-level access control on the computer with windows XP. You can easily restrict their access to whatever you wish.

However, for the computers on the network which do NOT have windows XP (windows 98) is there any way to prevent them from accessing the XP computer by password? (It seems that the XP computer can either "share" a folder/drive on the network or not share anything at all)

???

Like I said, you would need to use ntfs permissions. You need to add each username and password to the xp system. If the username/password doesn't match, they can't get in. I usually leave share permissions to full control and restrict on ntfs. ntfs and share permissions combine and the most restrictive of the two takes effect. ntfs works for both local and network access. share permissions are only applied when accessing a resource over the network.

win9x only had share permissions, which is why it had the password type access. This is very cumbersome, especially when you have multiple shared folders. WinNT did away with this.