Thread: Just out of curiosity...

Just out of curiosity...

How would one go about overclocking an Apple G4...?

Is it possible.

I haven't paid much attention to Apple lately and have been wondering if apples processors are socketed or embedded....

just really bored and wanting to know...

and if it is socketed, what do they refer to it as? Sokcet what?
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

I thought Mac Processors were imbedded and couldn't be tinkered with...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

you stand corrected

since PowerPC

you can freely remove the CPU and upgrade it like any Intel or AMD

just slide in the next higher up, and done

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Re: Just out of curiosity...

Originally posted by stix_kua
    How would one go about overclocking an Apple G4...?

Is it possible.
    I have very little experience in overclocking, but when I was trying to get my G3 400 overclocked to 450, the procedure was simply to rearrange some jumpers. The problem was, I couldn't find jumpers small enough (I may have not looked hard enough.)

But the other thing I've heard is that G3s were easier to overclock than G4s for some reason. That's all I know.

A few months ago, there was a thread here in Sysopt called something like "Overclocking a Mac - can it be done?" If you track it down it'll give you some insight. I also know there are upgrade devices available - e.g. I could slap it onto my G4 400 and voila, it will run as a 500.

i had the bookmark for an Excellent MACs OC website

with details pictures and everything

from the Oldest MAC on the planet to the newest G4

and they even had full list of stuff that you need for each model

it was awesome

too bad i forgot the name of the website, and lost the book mark

but all i remember was a medium quality looking website with light creammy background and OC and MAC signs plastered all over the site, and tons of links to all the stuff you need to OC the MAC

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Hehe, I was just going to recommend that.

Albeit from browsing there before, I'm fairly certain xlr8 only offers processor upgrade information (most upgrades come with a hefty price tag at that) and involve shipping your ZIF/Card Processor to the factory that will be upgrading them, and if the G4 is your only computer, then it will be down and out for a good couple of weeks.

We have two Mac's here at the apartment, a G3 iMac with a Card/Cache installed and a G4 400 tower with a ZIF processor (which, I really need to sell because its collecting dust). We were considering upgrading the tower but figured it would be a waste of time and money, and is why we ordered the HT enabled 3.06ghz dell as a replacement

My girlfriend thinks the iMac's too cute to throw away, go figure
    "Save us Booze, show us the way!"

Originally posted by Dracas
    Hehe, I was just going to recommend that.

Albeit from browsing there before, I'm fairly certain xlr8 only offers processor upgrade information?

My girlfriend thinks the iMac's too cute to throw away, go figure
    Umm, the website is a great resource for a lot of aftermarket upgrades / enhancements, not just processor upgrades. And it's been that way for quite a while...

And were you seriously thinking of tossing an iMac? If you are, I'll take it! We could use more of them on the network (for running FileMaker 6.)

the comment 'only offers processor upgrades' was (as apposed) to 'offers overclocking information', it was a thread specific statement, I know theres a lot over at xlr8

As for tossing a mac, not precisely. As I said, she wants to keep the iMac but the Mac G4 Towers gotta go, and we're either selling it, or trading it, no idea yet. Most likely sell it, and put whatever we get towards paying off a pending bill on some credit cards.

So if you know someone looking for a fairly cheap Mac tower (minus a monitor, the main reason we don't use it is because of the fact we totally lack a monitor for it) send em our way or give em my email address (sean_bish@cox.net)

Ahh, I understand now. I'll keep this thread in mind if I hear of somebody looking for a buy. You might want to post it for free over at MacOSX.com. MacAddict's website might have a buy / sell forum too.

Sweet deal, thanks for the info