Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asus or GigaByte??

Asus or GigaByte??

I've narrowed by MB upgrade to either a GigaByte GA-7VA or an Asus A7S333. Any suggestions / comments on these boards??

for Security go for GigaByte

for OC-ing, go for Asus

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Sorry.....What do you mean by security?

that they run Really Stable and well

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Well, if you're interested in OC'ing, I would not recommend the A7S333. If you're looking for socket A, why not nForce2? Anyway, the MSI version is a much better implementation of the SiS 745 chipset.

BOTH are good.
    Given enough time & money,
    Microsoft will re-invent Unix.

We've got both up and running here.

I like either, but I too would go nforce or nforce2 over the SiS745 chipset.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Ultimate Member
    Asus, ive never really seen much in Gigabyte boards to attract me to them

--Jakk

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Asus, ive never really seen much in Gigabyte boards to attract me to them

--Jakk

uuuuuhhhhh you don't know what you are missing

Ultimate Member
    they just look pretty solid and run of the mill but not especially outstandig to me, i would rather spend a little more and get a board that really excells at something from the likes of Abit, Asus, Epox or MSI

--Jakk

I've bought about six ASUS boards over the last few years and loved all of them. For me they all worked fine and had loads of OC features Gigabyte boards don't have.

IMHO the only advantage with Gigabyte boards is they have two BIOS chips so if the BIOS is damaged in a bad flash or virus attack, the backup BIOS resets the primary BIOS.

Howver, having also owned about 5 Gigagbyte boards I have to say they are OK but NOWHERE near as good as the ASUS boards. The ASUS where just as stable and in many cases I could OC the CPU i had by a fair amount.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT - I had some trouble with Gigbyte baords in the past and the Gigbyte support SUCKS. NO response to emails I sent (anout 26 in total over 5 weeks), nor from forms on there website, nor from the telephone support - they told me Gigbyte do not directly deal with consumers so I should contact the vendor, but I bought the baord new from a PC fair trader who stopped trading.

The board was 2 months old and had 10 months warranty left!!

STAY AWAY FROM GIGABYTE IF PRODUCT SUPPORT MATTERS TO YOU!

If I'm not mistaken Gigabyte solders their Bios chips to the board....personally I don't like that...

Anyone can have a dual bios...I have it with an Abit ...

If fact I wouldn't flash mine unless I had dual bios.

It's called Bios Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English.html

It plugs into the chip socket and your origional chip plugs into the bios savior.

Jeez...I won't bother with Asus or Gigabyte....

Abit support has always gotten back to me in a day or two.

even if it's sometimes been in broken english

That's why i like Abit better?

i got immediate response everything i need to find out something from them

Albatron. A new company started by former engineers from Gigabyte. Excellent board. Good customer service. At least check them out on New Egg.

Built for overclocking, even for Intel units. Some of the placement on the board is a bit weird and tight for people who like to putter around inside constantly. Like for a P4 unit I built, you have to remove the AGP video card if you want to add/remove RAM.

Rounded cables seem to be a definite must. Also, the HDD LED connector on the mobo uses a "two wide" instead of a typical "three wide (w/center empty" connector. Spliced old two wide to cabinet side connector.

Other than that, the board is excellent. But maybe more importantly, it WORKS and WORKS good.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam