Thread: floppy disk problem!

floppy disk problem!

I have a problem with my floppy disk drive.

I get this message whenever I try to copy and paste a file on the A-drive (floppy): "I/O device error, could not copy file"

I thought it was a faulty drive (as it was old) so I spent $15 to buy a new one.

SAME PROBLEM. argh!

BUT, it WILL work if I am using Word (XP) for instance and save to drive A with no problems.

I suspect it is a windows problem. ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, my system uses Windows XP (Hardware, K7S5A, amd xp1600, )

Thanks,
    Adam

2 otther things you might have not Checked yet

the Floppy cable

the Floppy Power

and most likely the Mobo Floppy controller being Dead

i've had a Mobo that had its FDD controller die out of the blue on me

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Sounds like a problem in windows rather than with your actual floppy drive..

Try running scandisk.

Win98 can get system corruption which results in this behavior. Try all you can, but reinstalling Windows from scratch may be necessary.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Check whether you have a really oooooooold BIOS in that K7S5A. The earliest BIOS releases (from when this board came out two years ago) had a floppy write problem. Release history has it this was fixed in BIOSes 2001/09/19 and all later ones.

Thanks for the suggestions..

I agree it's a windows problem. My cable is fine (even tried a diff one just for the VERY slim chance...), power ok (300W).

I bought the K7S5A last summer, and I am sure it is a recent bios. I will recheck tomorrow just in case.

Reinstalling windows?? Noooooooooooooo...not again! lol. Maybe I will try scandisk and then perhaps a "repair" of windows to see if that helps.

I looked at the Microsoft homepage and did a search of my problem. They had an article about something VERY complicated which may explain my problem. Something to do with stepping up the processor from CAS 2 to CAS 3, latency times being too long, or not long enough (Or something to that effect)? This apparently goes hand in hand with the error message I get for my floppy disk under Windows XP they say and causes problems with read/writing. The solution was ghastly and had to do with tampering with the registry. There is NO way I would even try that without exhausting all other possibilties as that could have dire consequences.

Any thoughts?

MS MCP, MCSE

I believe Peter was correct. It may simply be the bios. I checked the ECS web site and they said there are some issues with the FDD not working in Windows 2000, etc.
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/faq/faq_spec.a...&PRODUCT_ID=74

I have NEVER done a flash before and it scares me to heck. Which utility should I use and what's the best way to do it?

Thanks

Just follow the instructions posted with a floppy formatted as an MSDOS Startup disk in WinXP.

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/flashAMI.html

I usually rename the ROM file to NEWBIOS.ROM for convenience. I rename the flasher to FLASH.EXE too for the same reason.

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/bios/k7s5a021001.exe

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/bios/aminf335.exe
    MS MCP, MCSE

Before I do this...

Shouldn't I just update my bios to the latest version? WOuldn't the latest bios version include all of the fixes in the earlier releases? Or do you have to flash them sequentially?

Ultimate Member
    Every single BIOS release is a complete replacement of whatever was in there before. Just use the latest.

Will do, thanks

Ha ha!

It worked. I flashed the latest bios version from ECS and I can now copy files to my FDD!

I am always surprised when computer problems are fixed that easily.

Thanks for your help guys. This is definitely the best forum for computer help on the net!

Adam