Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Next Windows OS Changes File System

Originally posted by mpc2

What do you mean by that?
    I meant that if you choose to change from fat32 to ntfs, you couldn't go back. I also think that ntfs wouldn't read fat32...i am not sure on this being that i have had limited experience using ntfs. My main point that i was trying to get at was whether or not the new file system would allow a person to read their old hdd or would they be forced to change everything over to the new system?

Ultimate Member
    mpc2, thanks for that explanation, that actually helped me out quite a bit. Would you or anyone else here happen to know if the new file system would be able to read information from FAT32 and NTFS partitions?

Originally posted by enfiniti

I meant that if you choose to change from fat32 to ntfs, you couldn't go back. I also think that ntfs wouldn't read fat32...i am not sure on this being that i have had limited experience using ntfs. My main point that i was trying to get at was whether or not the new file system would allow a person to read their old hdd or would they be forced to change everything over to the new system?
    3rd party utilities, such as pqmagic, can revert back to fat32. The notion that ntfs can't read fat32 is silly. ntfs is a file system, not an application, it can't read anything. It is the OS which does the reading. Fat32 will still be supported.

in other news:

This new files system isn't really a new file system, rather an optional addon to the existing ntfs file system. Rather in the same vein that win95 was an addon to dos (though, to be sure, windows 95 was much more to dos than this new feature for ntfs will be to ntfs).
    Last edited by Picard; 05-29-2003 at 09:54 AM.

Originally posted by RamonGTP
    mpc2, thanks for that explanation, that actually helped me out quite a bit. Would you or anyone else here happen to know if the new file system would be able to read information from FAT32 and NTFS partitions?

Technically speaking your question is flawed. I know what you're getting at, but let me clarify.

File systems don't read other file sytems...operating sytems do. For example, NTFS doesn't "read" FAT, nor does FAT "read" NTFS. The key is the operating system, as all a file system is is a set of rules and parameters as to how files are layed out on a disk. Those "rules" are interpreted by operating systems. For example, Windows 98 can read FAT32, but not NTFS, and Windows NT can read NTFS, but not FAT32. Windows 2000 and Windows XP, however, can read them both. What matters is the OS, not the file system.

To really answer your question, will the future Windows OS, "Longhorn" (which btw, is just an internal code name, and won't be the name of the final product), be able to read FAT32 and NTFS? I suspect that in all probability it will. "Longhorn" in its present state, is only in its Alpha (not even Beta yet) stage at this time, and the database technologies haven't even been implemented yet. However, in all likelyhood, it will be able to read FAT32 as well as NTFS.

Originally posted by Picard

in other news:

This new files system isn't really a new file system, rather an optional addon to the existing ntfs file system. Rather in the same vein that win95 was an addon to dos (though, to be sure, windows 95 was much more to dos than this new feature for ntfs will be to ntfs).
    And you got this "other news" where? From the Daily Bogus, perhaps?

See here:

http://news.com.com/2009-1017-857509.html?tag=nl
    Last edited by mpc2; 05-30-2003 at 06:28 PM.

......i heard with this new microsoft OS your key code will be your bank account info. LOL. all kidding aside, xp is a great OS ,i love it but they are puting there noses where it doesnt belong. im now trying to master linux, good -by M$.

tommie j
    syst 1/INTEL 3.06 P4PE GOLD.......
    syst2/ soltek 75frn2-rl, barton 2800
    syst3/p4p800pe, 2.4c 800mhz

Why wait? reiserFS is in linux, today

The advanced journalling files system developed by DARPA is the default for SuSE Linux installations.
    http://www.namesys.com/content_table.html

Re: Why wait? reiserFS is in linux, today

Originally posted by Midnightwriter
    The advanced journalling files system developed by DARPA is the default for SuSE Linux installations.
    http://www.namesys.com/content_table.html
    Wait? NTFS is a journaling file system, as well as EXT3. WFS is not about journaling.

Big Billy G wants you to pay for each time you use any of his apps. Think about that for a minute....say you use IE or OLE, Excel ,Word, or any other Microsoft app, YOU'LL PAY a small charge to get it activated so you can use it.
    Talk about a monopoly... I think you're just begining to see the monster...........

now that LINUX are so rock solid and stable, i wouldn't worry much anymore

if Billy G. overplay his hands, then people will just flock over to Linux much more than they are doing already.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Well AllGamer as soon as I get my insurance check in I going to get me a new hd and join the ranks of OPEN SOURCE..... That is why Bill G is out to get the open source OS at any cost.

Everyday I hear of some Fortune 500 company switching to Linux.
    What was it two or three days Server 2003 had been out and MS had a patch for it.

Then MS had a patch for WInXP and it took an estimated 600,000 people OFF LINE till they uninstalled the patch. Then MS removed the patch from their update site till they get a new one out.

GEZZZZ give me a break!!!!
    Last edited by TweakerXP; 06-02-2003 at 01:41 PM.

Originally posted by mpc2
    AllGamer, JohnC, do you guys have any semblance of a clue as to what you're talking about?

WinFS represents a complete paradigm shift in how computer data will be stored and manipulated and it is far more than simply an "update" to NTFS. Do any of you read?

If successful, the concept will be employed by all operating systems, not just Windows.

The whole point of WinFS is to begin the process of eliminating proprietary data formats. In the case of future Windows, the Yukon SQL database will function as layer of the OS. Data will be stored there in XML form.

Today, when you create or save a file, it gets saved in a proprietary data format. Let's say, for example, you create a resume in Word, and then when finished, you save it. It gets saved as a Word file. If you send that to someone else, depending on circumstances, they may run into compatibility problems (i.e. , they may not have Word, etc) If you want to export or import that data into another file or application, it can be a real hassle (if it is even possible at all).

With "Longhorn" running WinFS, that resume does not get saved a a Word file, it will be saved as raw data in XML form. That data can be exported or called upon by any "XML aware" application. I can also send that data (resume in this case) in raw XML form, and if the recipient doesn't have
    Word, then it doesn't matter...as long as they have an XML aware word processor it will open up just fine, with all formatting intact.

If any other application on your computer needs that data all it would have to do is call it up, and it would not have to worry because the data won't be stored as a Word file, but as an XML database file, and as long as that app. is xml aware it can call up that data and use it.

Today's file systems, including those used by Linux, only know how to store data in "typical" data formats.

Tomorrow, data will be stored in non-proprietary (or at least only partially proprietary) data formats, making the manipulation of data far easier that it is today.

I am going to make this simple. MS has ALLWAYS has a proprietary format for WORD, that wont change, the filesystems may, but MS wont. LINUX addressed this issue LONG ago with the creation of apps such as OpenOffice, which NATIVELY saves to XML formatted files, but will also open and save to MSword/works/etc., Corels WP, even old school star office. The filesystem alone does NOT CHANGE the contents of the file, the program running it has to.

I can prove that, write a simple VB script that modifys your text file to... encrypt it lets say, a simple one pass encryption - change a to z b- to y etc. then see if your XML format will matter. I promise you, it wont have a clue.

Test it.

ITS HORSE *#$&