Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Next Windows OS Changes File System

FAT32 ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Man..I finally went from 2k to Xp and I think I may be going back to 2k. I just don't trust M$ enough to keep upgrading my operating systems. Not only that, its too freakin expensive.
    I'm just waiting for linux to become a little easier to use, and I'll be all over it.

Paul

You should immediately go ahead and load LINUX MANDRAKE 9.1 now

it's so easy that you wont believe it

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#iso

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

How about Linux RedHat 9??? Their interface looks kind of a mix between both Mac OS and Windows... and best yet - its all free.

I have an Idea

Maybe the Free BSD guys can come up with a new super OS. Name it WindUx! LOL! All your favorite windows powered by the Penguin. hehe.
    "The problem with the Gene Pool is there is No Lifeguard"

What is everyone afraid of?

After reading the posts and the article again, I've come to the conlusion that this might be a good thing.

You see I handle two systems at work that run a journaled operating system. Actually they are Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and MsSql 6.5. These maybe older version than what is out there, but they serve there purpose so they haven't been upgraded.

Both of these servers run on top of NTor 2000. Both of these server-apps are journaled. Neither of them has had major crashes that other Windows operating systems have had, and because of the inherent recovery, the systems are back up and running in short order after a reboot.

Now, back to what I was getting at. The way the these programs (servers) work is they write all of the transactions to individual log files. At periodic intervals, the system performs a checkpoint, and the information is dumped to the main file system. What is good about this, is that the main file system has less of a chance of becoming damaged from continous writes, and also if the system should crash (power outage, etc.), then the data is then retraced back to the last transaction. This prevents the data from corrupting what is there already because the system "plays" back through the last transactions to find out where things were when the os stopped working. This is most likely the way MS is going with their new file system the way I read it.

Just a little food for thought before we press the panic button.

To make a serious post, as opposed to my earlier one.

I have no doubt that it will be both technically superior and eminently feasible. What I don't like is what MS is likely to do with some of the enhanced capabilities the new file system will give them.

Just to take two examples from current MS policy: Why do they need root rights on my computer? It's my PERSONAL computer, what business is it of anyone but me to decide who has root rights. Also, why should they have the right to know what I play in media player? My musical tastes are none of their business.

I don't agree with the RIAA on much if anything, but if they sponsored an "official" media player, I can see an argument for them being interested on what was played on it. But, they are representatives of the copyright holders and have an interest. Sure it's a mulish wrongheaded interest tinged with fascism, but they have a legal interest. MS doesn't.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Ok... and now back to our regular programming

No, well on the serious side of this.

what the new WinFS or NTFS 8 is going to be

is just an updated File system (future storage) to support Huge HDD over 140 Gig

currently any HDD larger than that has trouble with Windows, even with their newest patches

so to me it's just another lame excuse of a PATCH fix for their current NTFS

of course now they throw in extra features to control the files and directories even more than before

basically , they took the idea from old UNIX world from waaaaaaaay back in the 70s and they want to call these "new features" their own.

and as far as new improvement besides the PATCH for large HDD

is the new file arrangement

NTFS is already a Databased file system, the new one is just an Optimized Database file system with a new level of sorting and array method.

of course for most people this is transparent, and non tech people, wont even care, as long as it works

so end point is.

It's new, it's fix, and it's update, plus a few more new security options

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Originally posted by AllGamer
    Ok... and now back to our regular programming

No, well on the serious side of this.

what the new WinFS or NTFS 8 is going to be

is just an updated File system (future storage) to support Huge HDD over 140 Gig

currently any HDD larger than that has trouble with Windows, even with their newest patches

so to me it's just another lame excuse of a PATCH fix for their current NTFS

of course now they throw in extra features to control the files and directories even more than before

basically , they took the idea from old UNIX world from waaaaaaaay back in the 70s and they want to call these "new features" their own.

and as far as new improvement besides the PATCH for large HDD

is the new file arrangement

NTFS is already a Databased file system, the new one is just an Optimized Database file system with a new level of sorting and array method.

of course for most people this is transparent, and non tech people, wont even care, as long as it works

so end point is.

It's new, it's fix, and it's update, plus a few more new security options

I agree with you!

This is probably another way for Microsoft to "fix" things again. Did you expect them to get it right the first time? Besides, did you expect them to come up with any real innovation here either. MS has a way of adopting the best and the worst of other operating systems just to say that Windows will have it. Take the overblown gui in XP. They copied the big ugly interface of Apple's Darwin. Huge, in your face icons, pops, etc.

Back to the file system, a journaled file system is indeed nothing new. This has been available for years in the Unix and mainframe/mini-computer world. It is just that MS has decided to adopt it at a different level than they had before with NTFS. They are integrating their technology that is used in their database products. By far NTFS is the most stable of the Windows file systems out there by the way it works underneath, but it does need its share of improvements; including the way it handles large disks, etc.

You are right too in saying that most people will not care what goes on underneath; just us techies will have to so we can purchase all the useful utilities needed to fix the thing when it is broken. After all, do you expect MS to offer fullblown tools like the half-baked scandisk utility for Win9x?

Later,

John

Could I have some linkage please to read up on this new OS.
    Thanks
    Space Cat to the Rescue!

AllGamer, JohnC, do you guys have any semblance of a clue as to what you're talking about?

WinFS represents a complete paradigm shift in how computer data will be stored and manipulated and it is far more than simply an "update" to NTFS. Do any of you read?

If successful, the concept will be employed by all operating systems, not just Windows.

The whole point of WinFS is to begin the process of eliminating proprietary data formats. In the case of future Windows, the Yukon SQL database will function as layer of the OS. Data will be stored there in XML form.

Today, when you create or save a file, it gets saved in a proprietary data format. Let's say, for example, you create a resume in Word, and then when finished, you save it. It gets saved as a Word file. If you send that to someone else, depending on circumstances, they may run into compatibility problems (i.e. , they may not have Word, etc) If you want to export or import that data into another file or application, it can be a real hassle (if it is even possible at all).

With "Longhorn" running WinFS, that resume does not get saved a a Word file, it will be saved as raw data in XML form. That data can be exported or called upon by any "XML aware" application. I can also send that data (resume in this case) in raw XML form, and if the recipient doesn't have
    Word, then it doesn't matter...as long as they have an XML aware word processor it will open up just fine, with all formatting intact.

If any other application on your computer needs that data all it would have to do is call it up, and it would not have to worry because the data won't be stored as a Word file, but as an XML database file, and as long as that app. is xml aware it can call up that data and use it.

Today's file systems, including those used by Linux, only know how to store data in "typical" data formats.

Tomorrow, data will be stored in non-proprietary (or at least only partially proprietary) data formats, making the manipulation of data far easier that it is today.

Originally posted by madfish
    Could I have some linkage please to read up on this new OS.
    Thanks

Here's all the "linkage" you need:

www.google.com

I wonder what kind of backwards compatibility issues that are going to surface??? I mean with XP it was either fat32 or ntfs...only thing is 'you couldn't have your cake and eat it too' with ntfs. I wonder if it is going to be the same with the new OS?

[i] I mean with XP it was either fat32 or ntfs...only thing is 'you couldn't have your cake and eat it too' with ntfs. [/B]
    What do you mean by that?

i like FAT32 better anyway...