Thread: Linux for newbee's

Linux for newbee's

Hey, any suggestions or recomendations on Linux for beginners. I want to try my hand on using Linux, on one of my pc's. I've noticed there quite a few from various companies.

Well most of my games install and work with Linux.

Reef

Still a Linux newbie myself, but I was able to install Red Hat 9.0 with no problem and it detected all my hardware just fine. That or Mandrake 9.1 would probably be your best bet. Both are pretty newbie friendly but are still real Linux.

No, most of your games will not run under Linux, at least not without adding goodies to it (like Wine, etc.) that may be beyond your ability for a while. DirectX games won't run at all as far as I know. Some games are available for Linux, but not the latest and greatest Windows games.

Ultimate Member
    Mandrake 9.0 is a nice and relatively easy starting point

--Jakk

I first tryed my hand at linux with Madrake 9.0 and it worked well.
    Installation of it was easier than ANY windows I have ever installed, it was just when it turned on is when it got confusing. I ended up deciding it wasn't for me.

But good luck.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I've heard alot comments regarding Linux, but I want' to give it go and play with it and see how it is. Which is why I have an old HP PII I bought cheap at a garage sale for $60.00.

So I'm willing to give it a go and spend time trying to figure it out, I like those things. Besides I don't like how MS/Gates/Windows want to control the pc world....barf!

I was looking at SuSE Linux, anyone heard of them? What about the Linux books that teach and have a disc in them? Are they worth looking at or is the software outdated, or not complete? Or is it better to find the software separate?

Too many choices I tell ya!

If you have a highspeed connection you can get most distro's of Linux for free. Mandrake is a great place to start. 9.1 is excellent for nooB's like myself. A book that helped me out greatly was "Linux Complete" by sybex press.

I use SuSE 8.1 pro and I love it.

Also: If you want to play games under Linux, you can get Winex at www.transgaming.com . I believe it even supports some parts of DirectX.

GL.
    [IMG]www.garbercentral.com/vadim/266.jpg[/IMG]

I'm a recent convert to Linux. I tried Mandrake 9.0 but didn't like it - had a few hardware issues and other probs. Have just installed Redhat 9.0 and LOVE IT! I shan't be going back to XP!!!

P.S. If anyone can help me get my CD Writer working I would much appreciate it! (see post on this forum)

Hey did you have compatability issues with Mandrake? Still trying to decide which one to get or download, but at least these tips help.

Reef

When I used Mandrake I had no problems.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Ultimate Member
    As long as youve got brand hardware thats quite well known you should have few compatibility errors. Only probklem i had was with an Artec Scanner and then they had nearly all but the driver for my Artec

--Jakk