Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is DSL worth the $$$?

Is DSL worth the $$$?

DSL will finally be available in my area next month. It would cost me about $30 more a month than I'm paying now. I mostly surf and download / upload a few files. Don't d/l any mp3.
    There is an occasion to move some rather large files though. I have 56k modem now and just do something else while waiting. I get a pretty good connect of 50k on the modem every time.
    Does anybody think the cost would be justified in my case? Cable is not an option since the cable company here doesn't offer it.
    Also, what problems do DSL bring on? Are the modems hard to configure and is it a problem if you turn your computer off daily?

Thanks!
    Jim

so for a $1 a day more, you could have way more speed. I think it's worth it. Time is money too, my friend.

you will need an ethernet card for the adsl modem, but i guess you could get away with usb. avoid usb ethernet if you can.

adsl is pretty simple to configure. you'll have to check with the isp for details, but it's not much different from setting up your dialup settings.

since the connection is "always on", you might want to consider getting a firewall, whether it's software or a router.

you can turn off your computer, but you should leave your adsl modem on.

hmmm... since you put it that way, I guess $1 a day doesn't seem so much after all.
    My MSI KT4V-L already has built in network card. Will that work as well as seperate NIC?
    I already use Zonealarm as a firewall. I assume this will be okay for DSL connection?
    Thanks for the info and the perspective. Hadn't really thought of it that way.

the built-in nic is fine. zonealarm should be fine also.

Once you go Broadband you'll never look back! You wont have time you will be moving so fast! The reason most Dialup peeps dont spend time on the internet is they dont like the wait! Its to slow!

Worth every penny!

Tick

I think y'all have convinced me. I shall order the service.

yes

Worth it only if your going to use the faster speeds.
    Such as playing online games/downloading etc. If there are any limits on max you can download per month like in the UK etc then skip it. Ask what your getting with the service free modem etc + actual speed kb/s upload/download. I get 255kb/s down & 45kb/s up on cable.

Also its good to get a router as a firewall + use a software firewall as well.

Ultimate Member
    If you use 56k you must beg/steal/kill to get broadband, its well worth it

--Jakk

Only had broardband for a few weeks now, will never go back.
    Check your options though, if adsl is available in your area, almost any isp can service you.

i pay about $140+ for a 512kbps DSL. i get download speeds up to 60-100kbyte/s. and i'm not going back to my 56kbps modem. we are not in the same area but i bet you can get a better deal there.

One hundred and forty dollars a month for 512? Ouch. As much as I love the speed I have, I think I'd have to deal with analog dial-up if that was the only broadband option. That's outrageous.

Wonder, might want to see how far away you are from your CO or dslam. Makes a difference as it relates to the speed you'll get.

Now you're talking Greek to me. What is the difference in ADSL and DSL? And what's a "CO" and a "dslam"?

WOW! $140 sounds like a lot to me. I live in the BellSouth service area of the USA. DSL is $49.95 month. I don't think they quoted what the speeds will be. I just assumed they're all pretty much the same.
    What do I need to look for? Anybody else with Bellsouth DSL here?

Smeg, I'm a little worried that I'll like it that much and then won't be able to go back.
    I guess once you've gotten used to the speed, it just wouldn't ever be the same again.

Originally posted by dexmax
    i pay about $140+ for a 512kbps DSL. i get download speeds up to 60-100kbyte/s. and i'm not going back to my 56kbps modem. we are not in the same area but i bet you can get a better deal there.
    are u getting business adsl? cause 140$/month is way too much for 512 kbps
    regards,

the xenon

dsl is worth it. But 140 is way to high. I'd say about 40-60 (60 for a very fast connection, and 40 for average).

If you are a gamer, like watching movies, or mp3s or just dling large files (today they are getting bigger and bigger and bigger)

Then you will not want to waste 30 mins to dl a medium sized file that would take seconds on dsl.

Here in South Korea we have vdsl.......I get dl rates at about 500KB/s that means huge files in minutes. But on average 150-200KB. I pay about 60 bucks for both of our connections (we have 2 computers with their own connections rated at 3-4mps)

So yeah it is MUCH bettter that a crappy 56k c0onnection.
    Actually back in 2000 I had some free isp's that where 56k (with an ad bar) but it was not a stable connection, which is very bad for gaming.
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

Where I live there only 56k available no dsl or cable there's microwave, but its 80 a month and you get 1/3 a t1 unfortunatly there's only one t1 where the people offer it and its bogged down with waaaay more than three people... I'm looking for a highspeed conneciton and a buget limit at 120 per month... My dsl company keeps telling next month but they've been telling me that for three years now they off a nice 7.1/768 connection for 110 per month... wish I could get it... is there any other way to get a high speed connection??? I'm currently having to upload/download massive files like 700mb files a piece on a 56k... days and days just for one file... any ideas?