Thread: too few parameters. expected 1.

too few parameters. expected 1.

i get that error when i run my program to bring up my database and select from a chosen district. this is some of my code:
    Private Sub Form_Activate()
    Dim ws As Workspace
    Dim db As Database
    Dim rs As Recordset
    Dim sql
    Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
    Set db = ws.OpenDatabase("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Data\Information\bo ys.mdb")
    sql = "SELECT * FROM SCHOOL WHERE DISTRICT = " & sd & ""

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(sql) (here is where i get my error)
    oh yeah im using vb studio 6 pro
    Asus A7v8x
    Amd XP 2700+
    Kingston 512mb Pc3200
    Asylum Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb ( bentch at 11829 not o/c)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Maxtor 80Gb with 8mb buffer ATA - 133
    Sony DVD-rom 16x
    Samsumg 52x Burner with 8mb cache
    400W PS
    SLK-900u + Panasonic 92mm fan
    and lot of fans
    Windows xp Pro SP1

what you need to do is

type in db.OpenRecordset( and look at the parameters it is asking for. Do the same for Set ws = DBEngine.Workspaces(0) as well.

Stefan
    Stefan

I hate it when I get this error because the SQL statement always looks right. So here are just some shots in the dark.

change 'Dim sql' to 'Dim sql as string'

Check to see if 'school' or 'district' are reserved words for vb or the database.

Might want to use trim(sd) in the sql statement just to make sure no extra spaces are hanging around.

I had a similar problem and for some reason it was that I did not have the correct letter case for the table in the database. Ie. my sql said User but the table was user. Once I fixed this no prob. I hope this helps some. Don.

Is the variable 'sd' a string or number? If it's a string you need to wrap it in quotes. Remember a value can be numeric but be stored as a string so look at the database field type to determine whether it's a string or a number.

yeah im still geting the error. can you guys help me to figure this out. ok this is what im tryin to do. open a data base from access that has a school table and it has all the school information from ohio. when i start the program i want it to have a form that has a combo box that when you select the district that you want to view it will jumpo to the other form which show the school information for the shools in that district. the district are Central, East, Northeast, Northwest, southeast and Southwest. thanks
    carlos
    Asus A7v8x
    Amd XP 2700+
    Kingston 512mb Pc3200
    Asylum Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb ( bentch at 11829 not o/c)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Maxtor 80Gb with 8mb buffer ATA - 133
    Sony DVD-rom 16x
    Samsumg 52x Burner with 8mb cache
    400W PS
    SLK-900u + Panasonic 92mm fan
    and lot of fans
    Windows xp Pro SP1

lol, I'm doing something the same in Java

Stefan
    if I can't get mine working I aint helping you
    Stefan

form that has a combo box that when you select the district that you want to view it will jumpo to the other form which show the school information for the shools in that district
    sounds like the classic client-server filter list deal...

Lot of people ask how to do this thru browser, and rather difficult or kludgy.

Anyway, what you want is a list box that displays choices and a (sub) form that will display info based upon value of list box.

In any client server environment (PB, Access(VBA/VB), Java, whatever...), do just that.

Have window with listbox and form to display info. When window opens, listbox has choices, form is empty (could be used to insert records?). When user chooses from list box, get value and use as argument to display info form. User chooses another value from listbox, re-retrieve the info form.