Thread: Router Questions

Router Questions

Ok. My mom needs an cable connection. I see that a router is the best choice for me to share it. But i heard that routers would cruically slow down my internet connection. I don't want that to happen and also my friend has a router and he lags like a mofo.! well sort of.

And also will an extension adaptor work without any perfomance loss? because my room is quite far from my moms... or should i get a longer cable? and will that make it slower? I need to have these questions answer before i decided on ruining my super fast ping and dl's speeds

routers really shouldnt slow it down any. and depending on how far you are going to run the cable and what cable you are going to run. if you use cat5 you can go 300 feet.

Agreed. You'd probably need a router that's a bit upscale in order to set bandwidth limits per user. Not your typical home network router.

if you don't have a router, then you would need to purchase multiple IPs. the router pays for itself after a few months.

Yes, there are cheap routers that work well (my D-link does have its problems) . I have three comps on mine, and haven't noted any decrease in speed. Mine cost c.70 USD (cheap for Sweden) and has saved me endless amount of hassle and created family peace.

I have two comps upstairs and one downstairs - longest cable c. 25 m.

/Nini-Veh

OK, i currently have a linksys modem do i need to get a linksys router cuz i dont' want to run into any issues with it not working with another brand
    ou'd probably need a router that's a bit upscale in order to set bandwidth limits per user. Not your typical home network router.
    what upscale rounters? how much would tha cost.

f you use cat5 you can go 300 feet.
    I think i am using cat 5 and 300 is a bit overkill only bout 40 or 50 or less. but that is longer then an ordianary cable

thats why you make your own upsacale routers would be one with a consol port on it to program it with such as a Cisco DSL router.

ive got a 2wire homeportal 100 and 7 computer hooked up all with differant brands of NIC's and never any trouble ( except with o/s ). running 98se, ME, 2000 pro and mandrake 9.1 and get on internet no problem in all of them, thanks to router. ( browsing LAN another loooong story )

router has nice settings, cant control bandwidth but can control what times browsing allowed, what apps allowed through, etc. our poor two boys cant even go to a website with anything as benign as the word "beer"

i know, i accidentely monitored mine once same way. was upset till i realized problem

modem is Westell Wirespeed on adsl BTW

I heard that some routers come with vpn virtual privacy networking l. is that anygood. Is that the hardware firewall?

And can you suggest any good routers?

VPN is a virtual private network. you are creating a tunnel between two sites to form a single network. This is not necessary for most home users.

A firewall is completely separate concept from a VPN. A firewall filters traffic to only allow packets from authorized computers.

I usually recommend a Linksys BEFSR41 router. You can opt for the BEFSX41 router also.

www.linksys.com

Hey, i have another question

ok,
    My friend had just suggested getting a wireless router instead of a corded one. He said that there is little differnce in speed is this true.?

wireless has always been slower for me. there are a lot of other factors to consider like interference from walls, distance between the client and router, etc. internet speed might not be too different, but transferring files between computers is much slower.

if you have a laptop, then wireless is convenient. if you just have desktops, I would go with wired.

Yes use cable if you need great speed to all computers in your home..

Go wireless if slowness isn't a big deal for the other computers connected, + easier to setup. It can be slow if its far away going through floors/walls.

Router to get, go cheapo! Doesn't matter what brand router you get vs nics etc. I got a cheapo Hawking router with my Dlink Nics. Works real well.