Thread: MTU

MTU

Hi folks
    What is MTU and does it need to be adjusted or is it best left alone.
    My isp are ofering a tool

Here

Ultimate Member
    Dr TCP is a great, small tool you can get here: http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

Let's you tweak those settings that can actually make a difference.

MTU explained... go to dslreports.com's "FAQ search" and enter MTU or what is MTU in the search box.

MTU defined:
    "MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit)
    MTU is the maximum packet size (in bytes) that can be transported reliably across any particular network; IP Ethernet in this case. The maximum size of an IP Ethernet packet is 1500, but overhead like IP, TCP, and PPPoE must also be taken into account. The wrong MTU will actually prevent you from accessing some web sites or FTP sites. It may even cause you to not authenticate properly on mail servers or secure web sites. There are too many variables to be able to estimate what your optimum MTU should be, but there is an test that can determine your correct MTU. Important Note: If you have a network with multiple PCs every computer should be set up with the same MTU. Some PCs may use several Network Adapters on one PC so you must verify you are changing the Network Adapter associated with your broadband service."

Edit update: I won't be posting here any longer. PM or email me and I'll help anyway I can... see you at the other place.
    jmichna
    Last edited by jmichna; 04-09-2003 at 02:52 PM.

Ultimate Member
    I recommend you take a look over at www.speedguide.net before deciding wether to go a-fiddling with your MTU settings

--Jakk

It depends, your MTU should be as follows:

Cable, normal DSL & 56K - 1500

PPPoE DSL for 98, ME, 2K or XP using ISPs software - 1492

PPPoE DSL XP - 1480

If yours corresponds with those then you are OK.

1.4G Athlon, 512 DDR, 80GB WD SE HD, FIC AD11 MB, NVidia Ti4200 128 MB DDR, XP Pro