Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Another one bites the dust!

Originally posted by gibsinep

Yes..... But are people not bettering the business and success of this site.

The community forum has nothing to do with the business, it is just a place to talk about other things.. If they feel that the war should not be discussed, thats their right to ban it. I think it is just silly to leave because you can't talk about the war..

as far as the slow down thing, it seems to be ok today..

I am not leaving SysOpt ...

I'll just be here a lot less often.

Holding discussions about someones dog, or the latest javascript joke doesn't appeal to me so much anymore, I would like to have the opportunity to discuss current affairs if I feel there is an interesting topic. I can't do that here now!

This new "No Politics, No War" ruling does not suit my interests. Politics are a fact of life that affect all of us, but we're no longer allowed to talk about it! IMO, Jupiter needs to get it's head out of the sand and smell the dog doo that is a part of this world, maybe then they'll start to get used to it, Instead they try to suppress the sharing of the knowledge of the reality of today's world.

I never complained about the Mods, because I understand they have a duty to the powers that be, ultimately we all have to answer to somebody, Right?

PPL that are complaining about the site being slow are probably looking for a reason to go elsewhere, because it isn't so bad most of the time.

The thing is: it's all too easy for a religious debate (for eg: ) to turn into a political one, or for a political reference to be used, or for a particular war reference to pop up! then the thread gets shut down and somebody gets banned, so what is the point of starting the thread in the first place?

I never could resist jumping in with both feet if I thought someone had posted a misleading statement, usually just to set the record straight, as others have done to me! It's really not that big a deal!

IMHO, What they've done is to kill open debate on many subjects, not just War and Politics.

p.s. I don't expect this post to remain here too long!
    Last edited by Strawbs; 04-09-2003 at 08:21 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Here's a simple question for the Mods or the Owners:

In light of the discontinuation or ban of War/Political threads, why are threads regarding God/Faith/Religion -- or the mockery thereof -- permitted? I'm offended by the tone of many participants in these threads. These topics are just as inflammatory. Is it considered "safe" or politically correct to "dis" God?

Where does the censorship end?

PS: I'm a member at Techimo also - plus a few other sites as well. Frankly, the technical "expertise" at Techimo is not at the same level we see at Sysopt... or many other sites.

Oh boo hoo hoo. Would you like to see what censorship is really like Just let your imagination run wild.

You want it your way, but don’t want the OWNERS of the site to have it their way. WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

PS: I'm a member at Techimo also - plus a few other sites as well. Frankly, the technical "expertise" at Techimo is not at the same level we see at Sysopt... or many other sites.
    Use the brain that God gave you. Post your war/political thoughts at one site and your technical thoughts at another. It’s not that hard to figure out that you CAN NOT have everything you want here.

You are a guest here. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can not respect the wishes of the OWNERS than _____________you fill in the blanks.

jmichna, I’m not necessarily picking on you per se, I’m just ranting like the rest of the boo hoo boys.

The site known as SysOpt dot com is a TECHNICAL site that happens to have an off topic forum. You are limited to a VERY SMALL extent in what can be posted here. GET USED TO IT.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Steve R Jones

Oh boo hoo hoo. Would you like to see what censorship is really like Just let your imagination run wild.

You want it your way, but don’t want the OWNERS of the site to have it their way. WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Use the brain that God gave you. Post your war/political thoughts at one site and your technical thoughts at another. It’s not that hard to figure out that you CAN NOT have everything you want here.

You are a guest here. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can not respect the wishes of the OWNERS than _____________you fill in the blanks.

jmichna, I’m not necessarily picking on you per se, I’m just ranting like the rest of the boo hoo boys.

The site known as SysOpt dot com is a TECHNICAL site that happens to have an off topic forum. You are limited to a VERY SMALL extent in what can be posted here. GET USED TO IT.
    Well, Steve you haven't answered my question regarding "God/Faith/Religion" threads. Instead, you decided to jump on me.

As you suggest, I will use my brain.

I'm gone. Was nice while it lasted. Mods, please let your sponsors know they have one less person who will see their ads.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Ooch! Blue on blue

My foots bleeding

Geez, someone's been putting something in the water around here...
    I haven't been here long, or even very frequently, but I can't understand the attitudes of a lot of people around here. This is a collection of *technical* forums - the addition of a Community forum should be seen as a bonus. If you don't like the rules associated with it, find one you do like somewhere else - it's not hard to have two browser windows open at the same time. You can't expect SysOpt to include everything *you'd* like. If you choose to go, please spare us all your final cringeworthy "parting shots".

Originally posted by fishybawb
    If you choose to go, please spare us all your final cringeworthy "parting shots".
    I think someone with 1700+ posts should have a voice in this matter. You'll feel the same when you reach that level.

Jmichna, sorry for making it look like I was picking on you. Thought my disclaimer would have worked.

Religion IS another topic that easily gets out of hand. Luckily there have been too many in a while. Very possible that subject too will get on the short list of thing to not talk about. But again, it’s a very short list.

E_Gamer, post counts don't matter when it comes to dictating how this site is run. You can make suggestions. You can voice your opinion. BUT, when the owners Say something-> that’s the way it is. You’d have better luck knocking a brick wall down with your head.

Two of our “as large” sister sites had their Off Topic forums closed down. It was REAL ugly for months at both sites. Lost a lot of people. Guess what. The new members don’t know the difference and most could care less if there “was” an off topic forum. And both sites are doing just fine.

My logic is STILL telling me that an off topic forum with a few restrictions is better than NO off topic at all. And I don’t think the word censorship comes close to describing that.

I have been here for quite awhile mostly posting on the tech boards and mostly just reading the community boards.

Steve R Jones you have a very good point in the last few posts and are likely right in this case.

The site can choose what they want on it it is not a government site so if you want to post your stuff you may have to post somewhere else. Freedom of speech does not apply to privatly(spelling) owned boards. Not taking sides just telling the truth.

Although the way that you said it is not a response that I expected from a Mod. I though that you where supposed to stay objective and be above the bickering but I guess that I was wrong.

chubtub - put yourself in the mods shoes... They are getting beat up because they are doing their job.. Sometimes you have to defend your possition whether your a mod or not.

fishybawb - I agree with you 100%.

extreme_gamer - As you can see by this thread we can voice our opinion, but seeing as we don't flip the bill why should we be able to dictate what we post.

j.m@talk21.com - Sorry to see you leave the team.. maybe you will come back someday.

Funny how not being able to post about war,
    Has started a war.

Sometimes you have to defend your possition whether your a mod or not.
    I believe that they have the intelligence to defend the site a tad bit more objectively.

Keep in mind I do agree with the site and its filtering of content.

Originally posted by chubtub

I believe that they have the intelligence to defend the site a tad bit more objectively.

I agree, but sometimes people can get a little worked up.. Which has probably happened to all of us at least once..

my 2 cents

I've waited a while to reply to this. Here goes: I don't have a problem with certain topics being "banned" as long as it doesn't go to far and everything non technical gets banned. I believe there are other places on the Internet to talk about the war personally. Also, I plan on sticking around cuz every once in awhile I learn something which is good. Plus I get a kick at some of the people that hang out here, they are neat (or is that Wierd?)! LOL....

by the way my last comment was NOT directed at J.M@talk

Time to move on