Thread: Would the color of paint on the chasis make a diffrence?

Would the color of paint on the chasis make a diffrence?

It's probally stupid question but I was wondering if dark color paint chasis have more heat inside than bright color like white?

I got this thought based on dark color clothes make people hotter on a sunny day than white clothes does.

Hope you get what I mean.

Does your computer sit outside on a sunny day?
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

I asked my computer that same question, and I’m still waiting for a reply

Ultimate Member
    Technically, the color can have (miniscule) impact. A lighter, more reflective( white and "silver") outside case color can reflect more radiant heat, and a darker (green and black best) internal color can absorb more radiant internal heat and reradiate it out.

Doubt whether difference even measurable, as most locations do not have radiant heat source (like sitting in sun). Interesting question about the inside of the case, as all of the pcb and metal components will radiate heat out, but that simply gets reflected back into case rather than efficiently absorbing into to lo emmissivity coating (dark paint) on case inside surface.

Might be an interesting test to quantify.

I do know that a foil shield between psu/cpu can reduce heat absorbed by cpu. A psu often is more efficient heater than transformer. Esp the cheap ones, with lo efficiency components. A failing or over loaded psu will pump out especially large amt of thermal energy.

My PC casing is black in color and I usually open one of the side panels when I am using my PC.
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

If you in fact have a black case and have an adequate air flow over the outside of the case such as a large fan or air conditioner, the case will absorb heat from the inside of the case from components and effectively transfer this heat via convection to the outside of the case, whereby the air flow over it will remove the heat, maybe as much as 5 % of the internal heat generated.
    In a hydronic heating system where the tubing is painted dark black, the efficiency is increased as much as 30% thru additional heat transfer.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

I'd think that color would make some difference. Say you placed a white case and a black case near a source of radiant heat. The black one would absorb more heat, making it more difficult to cool.

Solar panels are black for a reason, they absorb more heat, and that way are more efficient.

Auto radiators are either bare or painted black, want to overheat a car, paint the radiatior white, you'll see a difference in temps quickly.

I'd suggest keeping the case away from heat sources, such as heat vents or heat panels,etc and sunny windows, no matter what color the case is.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Good points but I wouldn't worry about it especially if you really want to paint it pink or whatever your eyeballs like.