• Upper Management be damned!

10 62.50%
  • They made the right decision.

6 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Upper Management"?

"Upper Management"?

Dear Guys and Gals:

I have been instructed by upper management to NOT allow “War and or Political” threads in the community forum.

I know many of you will have some very strong feeling about this decision. All I can say is that there are plenty of places on the Internet to talk about war and politics.

The SysOpt Community is for discussions of technology. We can not be all things to all people.

Thank you for understanding. If you feel the need to vent, please email me.
    I have nothing against Steve for this. I understand he is just doing his job. That said, this is one of the stupidest decisions I have ever seen made on this site! "Sysopt Community: Give your brain a rest from the tech talk and discuss whatever else is on your mind" Community is NOT for discussion of technology. It is the one forum in this site that isnt. Saying it IS, is a outright lie. Yes, there are other places to discuss war and politics, but not where I will find this same group of wonderful people and their viewpoints(besides techimo , and I dont think management want us splitting to that site).

Bottom line is they own the site. My hats off to the person who figured out a way to make money by using the vast knowledge base of techies that belong to this site, and at the same time provide us a forum in which to meet each other, make new friends, find tech support w/o dealing with the uncaring mega manufacturers, and learn.
    As for forum policies, there are other tech forum sites with tougher rules and regs. and on the other side of that coin there are other tech sites where the members run wild and lose track of what it's all about.
    IMHO I think Sysopt has to a great degree been able to balance alot of that out.
    Do I think telling us not to talk about politics, war, religion, and such is right when an area is set-up to talk about subjects other than tech ?. No I don't. But like I said before it's their site, not mine. It's basically like telling somebody please don't smoke in my car.
    Last edited by bushmaster; 04-05-2003 at 02:14 PM.

shhhhhhhh...you wanna get upper management riled up again??? LOL!!!

you really should calm it down. Upper-Management own this site and have the power to do what ever the hell they like. If they decide that the community forum is causing too much grief they willl close it down and offer a technology only site. That in my opinon would be a great loss.

Bite your lip, or as Steve said email him directly with your woes.

You should also have read that Sysopt is the only site in the 70 that internet.com owns to have a community forum...if you abuse that you will lose it.

I for one will be very peed off if that happens.

Stefan

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by DocEvi1
    you really should calm it down. Upper-Management own this site and have the power to do what ever the hell they like.......
    Its just unconstitutional not to complain about upper lower or middle management

Ultimate Member
    Ever heard of the phrase skating on thin ice?...

--Jakk

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Nope!

I ain't afraid of upper management.....oh wait, yes I am LOL!

would be wierd to ban a topic discussing a banned topic wouldn't it???

Originally posted by mireland I ain't afraid of upper management.....
    You shouldn't be afraid of them, you should be afraid of what they can make people do. In every company, in every situation upper-management can make people turn on their friends, do things they really don't want to completely ignore their principles simply to keep their job.

Yes it should be our right to put our point of view forward but do it sensibly otherwise repurcusions will be great. Imagine if a member of the Upper-Management who viewed the political threads came along and saw this dissing of them, what would they think? It would probably be the end of the line the Community section.

Personally if thats happens I'll dissappear, maybe to Techimo or a similar privately (i.e. non coporate) site. I wouldn't be surprised if several other followed suit. I really don't want that to happen, I like it here and now the main site (www.sysopt.com) is been updated and I would love to be a part of that... Don't destroy this for the rest of us.

would be wierd to ban a topic discussing a banned topic wouldn't it???
    it has been done before.

Stefan

lol upper management must be slipping, how did they miss this topic?
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Ultimate Member
    bushmaster's post accurately describes the situation.

Personally, I'm sorry to see things turn out as they have. I'd like to post many things...but they have been proscribed... but responsibility arrives at the same juncture as my willingness to post...

The overclockers.com forum has a similar policy, and they are funded by donations.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

The disscussions I've seen on this site are "TAME" compared to some I've seen elsewhere. One of the reasons I liked it here.

Too bad someone decided to pull the plug.

Personally if thats happens I'll disappear, maybe to Techimo
    Don't think you'll find it much better over there. Quite alot of censorship already.

I'd hate to see this site go, it's one of the few that people are reasonably civil most of the time without getting too sweet about it.

Originally posted by RampageIII
    Don't think you'll find it much better over there. Quite alot of censorship already.
    didn't know that. I hope it never happens anyway.

Stefan