Thread: Question re TV Tuner Cards

Ultimate Member

Question re TV Tuner Cards

I'm considering adding a TV Tuner Card/Device. I have an open PCI slot, plus I also have an open USB port. I know that there are both PCI and USB Video Tuner cards/devices.

The confounding factor is I do not have cable TV... only (free) broadcast TV.

First: looking for opinions re USB vs PCI tuner devices

Second: specific brands/models recommendations (keeping in mind I'm in "cable-free" Chicago area)

Third: given we do not have cable, what specifically will I need in addition to the card/device? I assume a powered "rabbit ear" antenna, some sort of a convertor to go from antenna output to device?

TIA,
    jmichna

Ultimate Member
    /\/\/\bump/\/\/\

...want to buy this weekend if enough intelligence out there...

Get the MSI TV @nyWhere, I was dissapointed at first, cause of the lame drivers and weak playback software, but if you get Power VCR II, this card really shines, for the price, you get alot.. Remote Control, Co-ax tuner (stereo, sound which is a bonus), S-Video/in, RCA-in, the picture quality surpases ATI's tuner cards, I must admit, even though I'm an ATI fanatic. The remote with this card is easily lost, it is asmall credit card remote, but hey, it still a remote... But ya, go with the MSI TV @nyWhere, great value, the one thing that would make this card perfect is an FM tuner, but that is insignificant.

Just aside note.. It would be nice to see a tuner card or a video card actually come with high quality s-video or RCA cables, instead of cheap low grade cables.

Billforce swears by this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...82E16815100103

What have you got to lose? It's CHEEEEEP.

http://www.kworld.com.tw/products/pro1/kw-tv878rf.htm
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'd still go with the MSI TV @nyWhere