Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protesters Throw Stones

Protesters Throw Stones

FOXNews
    Thursday, March 27, 2003

MONTPELIER, Vt. — A group of Vermont teen-agers threw rocks at a uniformed female Vermont National Guard sergeant last week, in the latest example of a service member facing hostility in the United States.

National Guard spokesman Capt. Jeff Roosevelt said the woman was not injured in Friday's incident, which took place in Plainfield, but said the woman had decided she would no longer wear her uniform outside of work.

"We are a very tolerant state and people in the military also expect to be treated with the same courtesy and respect that we show to others," Lt. Col. Scott Stirewalt, director of security at the Vermont National Guard, told WCAX news.

The teens blocked the sergeant as she went into a store and again on the way out, yelling obscenities at her along the way, Roosevelt said. The group also threw small stones at her car as she drove away, he added.

The sergeant said she believed the protesters had taken part in an anti-war demonstration in Montpelier that day. National Guard troops are often deployed to such events to help keep the peace.

"There were various profanities directed in her direction, along the line of '[expletive] murderer, [expletive] baby killer,'" Stirewalt said. "It culminated with some of the individuals throwing rocks at her, and as testament to her disciplined professionalism, she got in her car and left the area."

Roosevelt called it an "isolated incident."

"For every one that takes place there are hundreds of good deeds being done for Guard members," he said.

Roosevelt said other guard members were told in an e-mail to be careful in public. "It was kind of a heads-up to stay alert. We send warnings like that out all the time."

U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chastised the stone throwers, calling the incident "disturbing."

Leahy noted that the state's National Guard helped thousands of residents there during a huge ice storm in 1998 and in the period following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. They also played key roles in both World Wars, the Korean War and Operation Desert Storm.

But Friday's incident isn't the only case of a Guard facing harassment in the Green Mountain State.

"A car drove up alongside and honked his horn and stuck his hand out the window and gave us the old proverbial, 'hey, you're No. 1 finger,'" Guardsman Brian Tomblee told WCAX news, referring to an obscene gesture. "I just waved back and said, 'Hey thanks for the support,' and drove on."

Protesters at Friday's anti-war demonstration converged at the statehouse in Montpelier to lobby the governor and the legislature. Just as the anti-war rally started, they were met with more than 30 Republican lawmakers lined up on the upper statehouse steps to sing "God Bless America."

Former Gov. Howard Dean -- who left his post to make a run for the Democratic ticket for president in 2004, regularly and loudly criticizes the Bush administration war effort. He has also criticized fellow Democratic candidates for backing the war.

Under Vermont law, assaulting or abusing a soldier because of membership in the military is a hate crime. Conviction could bring up to five years in prison.
    __________________________________________________ __

This pisses me off to no end. I was told that a service member had the privledge of voting in a mayoral race earlier in the week and was called a "Baby Killer" by someone outside the poll. No biggie, The service member smiled, told her "Ignorance is bliss in your case." and went about their business. But throwing rocks?!?

Rock throwing

I Agree. This should be treated as a HATE crime. Personally I think of the antiwar protesters are afraid they will be drawn into some sort of combat. The protesters in New York seem to have a very short memory; the attack on them was unprovoked and insane. Is there a fear they will be attacked again? I’d rather take action against aggressors than set and wait for some fanatic to blow my a__ away. How would they like it if the National Guard would shoot them if they attempted to leave town as is happening in Iraq today. Involuntary human shield. What if the government decided to have the military drop nerve gas on the antiwar demonstration to do away with the problem? I say, if these people were in Iraq doing what they are doing here, they would be murdered in short order. They had better be thankful for being in the United States and seriously think about what they are doing.
    When in the Army during V. N. there were protesters (this was in the States) outside the U.S. air base we were stationed at. We were confined to base because our commanders feared we would get into a confrontation with these protesters and rightly so. We were processing troops returning from Viet Nam. The idea of what the protesters were doing angered and sicken us. We were in Viet Nam because our President and Congress elected to send us there. We followed orders. Who were these people to stand outside the gate and call us war mongers and baby killers? Did they forget the President and Congress were elected by the people and they were “the people”.
    Viet Nam and Iraq are not the same!!!
    Last edited by Charlie2; 03-28-2003 at 09:39 PM.
    Charlie

These dimwits are simply, and purely, looking for an excuse to justify their bad behavior.

They're seditious. They're hateful. They *BETTER F***ING BE HELD RESPONSIBLE*.

No kid of mine would behave like that. If they wanted to protest, let them do it honestly, legally, and peacefully. But their attitudes are those of facilitators to mass murder on a much more frightening and sobering scale.

ß

One can't even call them anti-war protesters.
    How does one protest violence with violence ?.
    I think becasue the country is officially in a state of war, that the offenders should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for their aggressions towards a uniformed soldier. Take them all off to Iraq and make the do communtiy service bringing humanitarian aid to the civilians of Iraq.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by bushmaster
    One can't even call them anti-war protesters.
    How does one protest violence with violence ?.
    I recall an expression from my youth: "Fighting for Peace is like F*cking for Virginity!"

There wasn't any excuse during the Vietnam War for the abuse that was heaped on individuals by the anti-war movement either, IMO.

And the present day anti-war folks doing the name calling, rock throwing and **** like that...they may be anti-war, but they sure ain't pro-peace. I'd call them common hoods, criminals...and should be tried as such.
    I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

rock throwing

You people are correct! They are a bunch of pabulum puking punks and deserve to be prosecuted. I wonder if they would have thrown rocks if it was a guy in uniform. If these same kids were in the military, they would probably be the type to throw a grenade in a tent full of sleeping soldiers. How cowardly can they get? I would say more but nice words fail me.
    Now think about being spit upon when arriving home from Nam. If the men returning were as evil and ruthless as was proclaimed; do you think for even a moment that someone could get by spitting on one? There would have been some major **** kicking or killing.
    Charlie

The sad fact is nothing will probally happen to these jerk's and that pisses me off. But watch what would happen if someone was to kick the **** out of one of those jerk's like they so desperatally need.

Well, You maybe correct, and the Guard may be under orders to let it drop.
    Charlie

So the protesting heat in the US is going up and out of control. If an outsider looks at this situation, he/she will say the country is ashamed to keep this rogue protestors but he/she will say the country deserve it for declaring war so easily.

Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by cbh
    So the protesting heat in the US is going up and out of control.
    cbh...
    Are you starting up again? Latest Gallup poll results (Saturday morning Chicago Tribune newspaper): now 72% of American citizens support the war effort... up a few more percent since mid-week. Opposed to the war dropped to 25%... remainder undecided. The misfits that threw stones at a Guardsman can hardly be considered much more than juvenile delinquents.

What the hell do they show you on Singaporean television?

Right on, jmichna.

Cbh, it’s the grand American way to gripe, but nonviolently. Jmichan is correct; they are no more than criminals. What happens to people who throw rocks at your military?

Oh, oh; I was edited!
    Charlie

How many protesters would there be if it weren't for the liberal bent news coverage? Why should that garbage get so much attention as they only represent a fringe element of wacky losers. Their actions take away law enforcement resources that should be directed at guarding against terrorism, and that can present a serious problem.

If a terrorist's bomb went off among them, the National Guard would be there to protect and help them.

Freedom of the press

KenKeith

What if they were boycotted and the majority of people would not buy the papers, listen to that news, and refuse to buy from their sponsors. That’s the nonviolent way. Let’s see, what is the pro war poll now 72% +-. If say 72% of their circulation, views, and their sponsor’s sales were no more, would they get the message.
    Charlie

Charlie2,

Television broadcasting has been affected. Networks have a left bias so many viewers have gone to cable for a more balanced viewpoint. Recently, polls show Fox news has captured a larger audience at the loss to CNN (a more liberal station).

The Phil Donahue ( a liberal's liberal) was cancelled and replaced with 2 anchors (one liberal, one conservative), and the show has quests and audience feedback. The Connie Chung show was cancelled after a brief time as it could not meet the competition of a more conservative presentation on an alternative station.

I don't know how that plays out in dollars lost with cancelled contracts and lost advertising revenue, but stockholders can voice their complaints after digesting financial statements and management will be accountable.