Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dual DDR

Can I **** in?

You have two Identical sticks of dual DDR and you put them in the corresponding slots.

Does the third stick have to be Dual channel for it to be usable?

You can put a third stick in and it will still run dual channel. But the third must be of the same type as the other two. On my MSI N2 board I have three sticks of 512MB 2700 and she's working as dual channel because when I bench her memory in aida32 she's coming out on top among rdram boards. It also takes maybe 2-3 seconds to complete the read and write tests which is sweet.

Gone
    Originally posted by BipolarBill
    I don't know. Each bank (slot 1/slot2-3) has a separate memory controller. I makes sense to balance the amount between the two banks.
    Guys I got the A7N8X and the manual clearly states that the two blue dimms are prefered. Thats dimm 2 and 3. though dual can still be used as a combo of 1 and 3. 1 and 2 are one controler. 3 is on its own. Thats why 3rd dimm is the only one that HAS to be used (1 or 2 in conjunction of course) for dual mode.

So its like this
    Dimm 1 and 2 have a mem controler
    dimm 3 its own mem controler.

So 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 combo's are dual. Though 2and 3 are said to be most stable and significant gain. The only non dual way you could go is if you put one mem stick in dimm1 and another in dimm2. Since both are on the same controler it wont be dual mode but single. You gots a 2 out of 3 chance of getting it in dual without looking it up.Thats pretty good odds.

there are 3 slots on a Dual DDR board

Slot 1 (Channel 1)

Slot 2 (Channel 2)
    Slot 3 (Channel 2)

You can use all the slots but channel 1 and 2 must have equal amounts of RAM for a Dual Configuration if not then u will get a Single DDR Config like any other ViA or Sis chipset.

example

Slot 1: 256MB
    Slot 2 :128MB
    Slot 3: 128Mb

or

Slot 1:128MB
    Slot 2:128 MB

or
    Slot 1: 128MB
    Slot 3 :128MB

I finally understood

Well I can shed a little light on this subject, since I have just spent the past two days experimenting with my A7N8X to find out why it was performing poorly.

I can only tell you what I discovered, and I will leave it to you guys to argue about it.

I have two identical sticks and put them in slots 1&3 and my bios said I was running in dual memory mode.

When I got really crappy 3DMarks I tried putting the Two sticks in 2&3 slots. My bios no longer said dual memory mode and my performance dropped to even worse scores dramtically.

So I went back to the slots 1&3 and my bios said dual memory mode again.

According to my manual you can go 1&3, 2&3, or 1 2 & 3. But thats not what I found in reality. It says nothing about if the Ram must be equal size or speed, but it only makes sense that they should be equal.

Best of luck
    Last edited by PCGuy; 03-23-2003 at 02:52 AM.

hate to see the conversationd about ddr 2 and the next dual ddr board... oh boy were all gonna be messed, just call ram stick, pogo sticks or something..... my poor brain...

just get some good ole pc133 and take it easy
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

now i'm fubar'd

Originally posted by PCGuy
    Well I can shed a little light on this subject, since I have just spent the past two days experimenting with my A7N8X to find out why it was performing poorly.

I can only tell you what I discovered, and I will leave it to you guys to argue about it.

I have two identical sticks and put them in slots 1&3 and my bios said I was running in dual memory mode.

When I got really crappy 3DMarks I tried putting the Two sticks in 2&3 slots. My bios no longer said dual memory mode and my performance dropped to even worse scores dramtically.

So I went back to the slots 1&3 and my bios said dual memory mode again.

According to my manual you can go 1&3, 2&3, or 1 2 & 3. But thats not what I found in reality. It says nothing about if the Ram must be equal size or speed, but it only makes sense that they should be equal.

Best of luck
    I bought an A7N8X Dlx on Friday and 2x256Mb pc2700 + a 2600+. I have mine in banks 2&3, I thought performance was good, but I see no "dual memory mode". now I'm gonna have to RTFM again. I'll post back with my results L8R.

A7N8X Deluxe User's Manual (Rev.2) page 14, states the following:

"2.5.2 Memory configurations... NOTE: to enhance system performance, utilize dual-channel feature when installing additional DIMMs. You may install the DIMMs in the following sequence: sockets 1 and 3 or sockets 2 and 3 or sockets 1, 2 and 3."

Make of it what you will.

[EDIT] socket 1 is black, sockets 2 & 3 are blue and socket 3 is seperated from sockets 1 & 2.

I just switched to sockets 1 & 3 and still see no "Dual Memory Mode".

Last edited by Strawbs; 03-23-2003 at 10:23 AM.

The MSI displayed "Dual-Channel Enabled" only after a BIOS update.
    MS MCP, MCSE

heres guna be another annoying question. but does having dual ddr actaully speed anything up (that people can actaully nitice)

rik

Can you notice a 5-9% increase?
    MS MCP, MCSE

I heart BPB!

No need to get angry big guy. I'm here to learn and give my 2cents like the rest of us.

Oh Know!.....

Now it doesn't say "Dual Memory Mode" anymore???

I use to see it roll by during boot up before.

It just says "memory speed 133mhz", where it use to say "dual memory mode"......hmmmm

There must be some way to find out for sure. I'm running the Asus Probe program and it give very little info.

This is really starting to bother me now

a 5 to 9% increase..........

Is it really a great deal of a difference?
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!