Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dual DDR

Dual DDR

Im sure most of us have heard abt Dual Channel DDR. i understand that u must use 2 modules of ram for a dual configuration. must both rams be of the same size? nForce2 mobos which support DualDDR have 3 slots DIMM. wat happens if i fill in the 3rd slot with ram as well?

My understanding is the DDR you place in your mobo must be the exact same (eg. same size, speed and manufacturer) and they must be placed in the 1st and 3rd slots in order to work. You may add additional memory the the middle slot but it will not be part of the "dual mode".

Yes, they must be the same size, but not necessarily identical.

Have you seen the way the slots are arranged on this board?

slot 1

slot2
    slot3

Think about this. If you had two identical sticks, where would you put them? That's right - one in slot one and another in either of the other slots. Let's say that they were two 256MB sticks for 512 total. Now you want to double your RAM. Where would you put the 512MB stick? Yep - slot1! You then place the two 256MB DIMMs in slots 2 & 3.
    MS MCP, MCSE

yeah bill, but do i still maintain the Dual DDR congiuration/performance after installing a third module?

Thank you, I finally get it!! As long as what is in slot 1 matches what is in either of the other two slots then you're ok. If you add a third module, you must match the size of the module that goes in slot 1 to the total of what is in slots 2 and 3.

When I asked about this before, no one ever explained that to me this well. Thanks for clearing that up!

Rob R. said it all.
    MS MCP, MCSE

aha! i get it channel 1 and 2 must be same size. i was wondering bill, your number of posts is twice my 3dmark score! LOL

Bill, I think you are wrong about the way the slots are arranged on the board. On my A7N8X the slots are like this:

slot1
    slot2

slot3

One stick goes in either slot 1or2 and the other identical stick goes in slot3. Asus reccomends that they be in 2 and 3. If one were to add a third stick of DDR, Duel Channel would still be activated.

Don't be silly. Who cares what the numbers are? The single slot needs an amount of RAM equal to the amount in the other two slots.

Both the Epox and MSI boards I tried here had those arrangements. I doubt that the Asus is different.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Desertpony, have you checked the numbers on your board to see which slot is label as 1?
    Usually the slot closest to the bottom edge of the mobo is labeled as 1. And I say usually, because not all the manufacturers label their boards the same.

My Abit board has Dimm 1 located at the bottom of the board closest to the edge. Both of my Epox boards have Dimm1 at the top of all the Dimm slots.

You must fill the single slot, and either of the other slots that are close together for dual channel to work. One of the sticks in the slots that are close together must be of the same type and amount as the stick in the single slot.

I don't know. Each bank (slot 1/slot2-3) has a separate memory controller. I makes sense to balance the amount between the two banks.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill:
    Like I said "One stick goes in either slot 1or2 and the other
    identical stick goes in slot3."

Since I'm looking straight at my board; I was pointing out that DDR1 and DDR2 are grouped together. DDR3 is the stand alone. sheesh

Don't believe me? Go here, DL the manual and see for yourself!

You keep showing up and ticking me off.

That's not what the conversation was about! Are you daft? We are trying to figure out how to use THREE modules at the same time. If you don't know, **** out.

I don't need your manual - I've owned both the Epox and MSI nForce2 boards.
    MS MCP, MCSE