Thread: is it possible to UPGRADE the MOTHERBOARD on DELL dimension 8200 w/ 823 chipset? (M)

is it possible to UPGRADE the MOTHERBOARD on DELL dimension 8200 w/ 823 chipset? (M)

hi... new to this board... is it possible to upgrade the dell dimension 8200 motherboard? i have a 1.8ghz unit with the old chipset 823 - and would like to upgrade it... if possible, what board fits in there? and what else do i need to do after the board switch? some people have said that dell uses a proprietary board so an aftermarket board may not fit... is it true? thanks in advance for your help folks!

Welcome to sysopt jcinboston, hope we can help.

All i can tell you is that I have upgraded several HP and Packard Bell machines, when it came to a new motherboard it did usually mean a new case as well. Very small form factor on some Brand Name pc's.

But, for the cost of a new case, (real cheap with a better psu usually) you can get a five bay high tower and bung in a few extra's.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Yeah, the Dell motherboards are proprietary. Dell uses a proprietary power supply as well, crossing some wires so that it won't work with other motherboards. See article:
    http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs....ade3_01_01.asp

So it may be prudent to buy a new case with power supply, as Ammok indicated.

Welcome to Sysopt!

thanks for your posts!!! i should have known dell would do should a crappy thing like

that!!! uggh! oh well, time to check out some aftermarket parts!

I got to agree and it is ireally crappy for any major manufacturer to do this. I won't be recommending dell again to anyone, previously I thought they were the best of a bad bunch, now their swimming with the sharks.
    Life is a bowl of cherries