Thread: Advice on CPU.. AMD 2400+ or 2500+ (Barton)??

Advice on CPU.. AMD 2400+ or 2500+ (Barton)??

I have ASUS A7N8X DLX and wanted to know which is better.. I know the barton is supposed to be better, but the 2400+ is running at 2ghz while the barton is running at 1.83ghz or somtething like that.. So which one is better?? And also what should I expect when I O/C these chips, esp the 2400+??? Thank you...

The jury is still out on how well the 2500 Barton will overclock. They just came out.

The 2400's are (Tbreds w/ 1/2 the Barton's on die cache) hitting about 2.4 +or- actual mhz's air cooled.

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, the 2400+ overclocks like a mutha, ATM theres no real info on the 2500+ as its not been out long. Id wait a while to see how it does o/c. If its decent go for it. ATM i cant really notice any great gains from the extra 512k in benches ive seen, therefore why lump youself with a proc that wont o/c simply for a non earth shattering feature.

As the saying goes, 'All good things come to those who wait'

--Jakk

And the 2100B Tbred is overclocking as well as the 2400's for less than $100.

Ok that confuses me, well just the part that the 2400+ can reach it's real clock 2400mhz air cooled.. The reason why is that I have a 2400+ on an ASUS A7N8X Dlx mobo with 3x 512mb samsung pc2700 DDR on this board and the highest that I can get is 2.1ghz, btw I have the volcano7+ heatsink/fan.. I know that the cpu is unlocked on this mobo, but whenever I try to get the multiplier higher than 16X, it wont post.. So I thought I'd do it on the FSB, so I did and the highest I can get on the FSB is 145x15 which again is just 2.175 ghz (3dmark crashing), or I'd do 13x164 which only gives me 2.132ghz and my 3dmark is not that stable on that setting, sometimes it'll crash... Can anyone help me on this??? Pls... Like what setting should I do??

Assuming you have better than average cooling, you can try raising the voltage settings (V core) from stock 1.65. But be careful. I don't like to play with voltage settings too much: easy way to smoke your processor. Also, adjust your memory timings to less agressive settings. You'd probably get better OC results with just two sticks of memory instead of three.

Does the A7N8X have an AGP/PCI lock? If so you can lower the multiplier and raise the fsb without throwing your other bus speeds out of whack.

Finally, a BIOS flash to a later BIOS version might help. Some beta versions are written just for OC'ing. Good luck.

missive, actually I've been playing with the vcore a lot, and still no luck.. I can't get it to post past 13*167 and yeah the PCI I believe is locked automatically and the AGP I locked it to 66mhz and still no luck... I tried the different settings for the multiplier and still no luck.. The highest I can get on the FSB (lower multiplier) is 167mhz and on a default I can only get it to post @ 145mhz.. I really wanted this combo to get at least 2.3 to 2.4ghz, please help...

Ultimate Member
    Mykel... what is your batch code?

And I hate to tell you but the volcano 7 is ****. Get a vantec aeroflow or pair an SLK900 with a mid-speed sunon 92mm.

2400+s of the JIUHB stepping overclock maybe a little bit more than the 2100+s... at lower voltages. They tend to max out at the same speeds, however.

IMO the best value CPU is the 1700+ of the JIUHB.... they can go all the way up to 2.3ish on normal cooling or even 2.8 on wild cooling. It's not everyday that you get a 58% overclock on an AMD CPU.

Ultimate Member
    And about barton overclocking...

Frying a $55 1700+ is not much of a loss.

Frying a $180-200 2500+ is.

And killing a $600.00 3000+ is.. well..

It sounds like you just have to do some tweaking on that Asus. It takes more than just a core voltage bump and your bios should have it all.

Here's a lot of good info:

http://www.amdforums.com/forumdispla...e=15&forumid=8

Caustic, that was my first reaction as well, although since the difference on the price is not that much (2400+'s), I thought I'd spend a little more for 333 FSB... But I guess I'd stick with my 2400 anyways, higher clock speed... Anyway, JCB I was actually checkong that website out and they seemed to point out that most of the PC2700 DDR's are not compatible with my board (chipset), I hope that that was not the case since I got 5x 512MB DDR sitting here at my house, 3 Samsung and 2 Microns....

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by causticVapor
    Mykel... what is your batch code?

And I hate to tell you but the volcano 7 is ****. Get a vantec aeroflow or pair an SLK900 with a mid-speed sunon 92mm.

2400+s of the JIUHB stepping overclock maybe a little bit more than the 2100+s... at lower voltages. They tend to max out at the same speeds, however.

IMO the best value CPU is the 1700+ of the JIUHB.... they can go all the way up to 2.3ish on normal cooling or even 2.8 on wild cooling. It's not everyday that you get a 58% overclock on an AMD CPU.
    The Volcano 7 isn't great, the 7+ (which is what he has) however is a pretty decent cooler.

Batch AIUHB 0246

Here's another link full of good info on your board and perhaps some on that bin 246:

http://207.44.142.144//forums/forumd...php?forumid=58