Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: can someone see if i have this right??

If you have 3 peer-to-peer PCs you could easily backup to the other 2 PCs and if the machine housing the Quickbooks data file dies then move the backup to an area that is accessible on one of the other PCs and you can be back in business in minutes. Remember this is a 3 person network and you won't have that much user maintenance or printing.

Another consideration here is budget. If it is a 3 person office a couple of thousand dollars may be a big chunk.

Yep, budget makes or breaks it. I've heard that one before.

It's hard to say without being really in the meat of it. If it's a company that plans on expanding soon, etc. then a server would be a good idea. If this is going to remain a small shop, then it would be ok to stay with peer-to-peer. It's all a matter of perspective.

Yes, I read his intial post. And I think everything that he needs is covered. Which route he wants to take is up to him. His intial post reads to me as if he his looking for a business aspect and not a small office aspect. And in a later post he put in that he will be "very busy" so I again see it as a business aspect and not a small office aspect. In a small office you can get away just fine as with the way you mention but in the business enviorment it's won't fly.

And as I said all the information he needs is there which way he want's to attack his project is up to him.

Goodday.

I forgot about the internet sharing. oops

the isp probably won't hook all of them up, just one connection. you would need to set up the router for sharing. You could get a router with an 8 port switch to kill 2 birds with one stone.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=155

Don't use 192.168.1.1 as an IP if you use a linksys router. That's the default IP of the router. You could use 192.168.1.254 as the server. I would use a static IP for the print server system, but you could use dhcp for the other ones.