Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can someone see if i have this right??

can someone see if i have this right??

hello,

can someone see if this Ruff - pic is right?? if i am missing something..?

i am setting up a 3 computer network with win2000 pro. the computers will be running Quickbooks on them 99% of the time taking orders, and making invoices through..

or do i need to have one of the 3 computers running as a Server and the other 2 hooked up to it, through the hub??

can someone help me out here? i would appreciate very much!!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Three computers running quickbooks taking orders and making invoices. You you don't run from a server then 1: how are you not goint to end up with triplicate receipt numbers and invoices? 2: How are you going to edit your stock as each order is made? 3: for backups of records why take three seperate backups? In my opinion, even with small business and really with more than one computer you need to have a server of some sort. You also need redundency to ensure you don't lose records and documents. Tape back ups and mirrored drives pending on how busy your business is.

*Edit: "you have a PM"*

*Edit: "Sorry for all the spelling and gramar errors. I guess I should learn to sleep and do less!" LOL*
    Last edited by Jgedeon; 03-04-2003 at 07:58 PM.

Jgedeon is right with his concerns. even with a small business you would run into these problems over and over.

IMHO you should have a hub with more than 4 ports, they aren't that expansive and it isn't a bad thing to consider any future expanditures.

having a whole seperate comp runing all the server software and taking care of keeping the data safe and intact ( backups, mirrors ... ) would also be a good idea and have any peripherals hooked up to it, ie. printer.

and network wise, i would personally avoid using 0s in the ip's of comps.

DR

I don't know that you need a gateway unless you are wanting to access the internet.

If you are running Quickbooks you should be fine as long as everyone is opening the same company file. You can backup by copying the file to one or both of the computers that don't house the company file that everyone is using. Also make certain that your users don't use one of the backup files to work with. I would backup to some hard to find directory on both of the PCs that don't house the production company file.

do you really need static IPs? If you plan on getting a router (gateway) for internet, then you could just set your systems to use DHCP instead. If you decide on running a server, then that would need a static IP. Static IPs are more difficult to manage. you have a pretty small network, so it would be ok. when you have larger networks, it becomes a beast to manage.

tape backup would be good. you can schedule a backup every night. It's also good to have at least 1 offsite copy of the data, in case there is a fire or flood that destroys the main office.

a 4 port switch is not enough. what about printers? you may not need the ports now, but it's better to spend a little more for a bigger switch now than to have to go out and buy a whole new one later.

yes, they all need to be in the same workgroup.

not only printers but if you get a router for dsl you just lost fourth port right there

something i hadnt thought about when i got my 5 port. you can always buy more hubs and uplink em but you lose ports right off the top when you do. ive got two 5 ports linked with dsl router plugged in and i only have 7 ports for computers left. i never thought this would be a problem when i bought my first one. am looking for 12 or 24 port now

thanks for the help so far guys..

i have posted a new drawing.. if you would'nt mind looking at again.. now if i did it up like the drawing i could use the SERVER computer as a regular computer also, RIGHT?? also when the people come out to hook up the cable connection they will set-it up so it will run on all 3 computers, won't they?? or just the one main connection?? also what would i use as a Gateway? i used 192.168.1.1 for the ip's is that better?? also this will be set-up on a long counter.

Jgedeon:

1: how are you not goint to end up with triplicate receipt numbers and invoices?

i see what you are saying, so going with the way i have the drawing should fix this now, right??

2: How are you going to edit your stock as each order is made?

Quickbooks has this all built into the program so as you make up a sale receipt then it automatically deducts the QTY. from the stock.. (understand what i am trying to say?? )

3: for backups of records why take three seperate backups? In my opinion, even with small business and really with more than one computer you need to have a server of some sort. You also need redundency to ensure you don't lose records and documents. Tape back ups and mirrored drives pending on how busy your business is.

ok so i added the server, and added a tape backup.. i don't want to mess with mirrored drives.. it will be getting very busy..

and then on computer 1 & 2 i will have it so that when ever i save something in quickbooks it will automatically save to the harddrive on the server computer, right?? (is'nt this considered mapping a drive??) and then anything else personaly on that computer will just be saved to the harddrive on that specific computer.

ok also i will be having a Cable connection and will be online at the same time , OFF of one connection, ??POSSIBLE?? they will take care of that when they come hook up the cable connection though, right??

also can i use 2000 pro on all 3 computers or 2000 server on the server , and 2000 pro on the other 2?

is this the way to go now?? (PICTURE ATTACHED)

thanks again..
    Last edited by haze; 03-04-2003 at 07:17 PM.

here is the pic.. it won't let me rea attach one to the other post..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you looking at Quickbooks pro network version? Databases make things so simple after everything is set up.

As for a tape back up only.. That is up to you.. I like redunancy. Two bad backups and a HDD that just went bad your done. And I have seen this...

Cable connection... I would most definatly have a firewall and not a router or software firewall.. I would install a Smoothwall Corp firewall as the first thing.

I sent you a private massage yesterday that has my MSN messenger handle in it.. If you want you can IM me at that address to share ideas.

Sorry guys but I don't get it. The gentleman is sharing 1 file. Why does he need a server?

Sharing a file? How do you see that? He's creating many files. And changing some files. And many times at the same time. Can you open and change a file on two computers at the same time and not get an error?????

If you are using Quickbooks 99% of the time, you will be sharing one company file 99% of the time. The sharing of the file is up to Quickbooks and opening it in "Shared mode". I have more than one client running Quickbooks on a peer-to-peer network with no problems. Some of the networks are Windows 98, some are NT 4.0, etc.

If you setup a server then you will have one person using the server to run Quickbooks, so what have you gained? Or do you plan on haze buying an additional workstations?

One person? Quickbooks is set up on each WS (workstation) and then the network version is on the sever and the DB (DataBases) are on the server. All the clients then access the needed DB's from the server and can do the required work. The server sits in the corner serveing needed info and collecting the information. If it is a 5 user license then all five can use it at the same time.

Jgedeon,

Did you read his initial post? He has 3 PCs. He wants to know if one of them needs to be a server. My answer is NO. My assumption from his post is he has 3 users. If you have 3 PCs and 3 users then that is one PC per user. So if you make one of them a server then it stands to reason that one user would be using the server. Right?

Let's say you do have a server, you don't need a version of Quickbooks on the server unless someone is going to use it as a workstation. You will have one file on the server "YourCompany.qbw" and everyone can use that file to create invoices and all the other things "haze" said he wanted to do. All of the users can use that file at the same time as long as it is opened in multiuser mode (which is an option in Quickbooks) and share the data. You can go to software store and buy 3 single user versions of Quickbooks and they will be able to run in multi-user mode. The only limitation with Quickbooks is if you decide to install the same single user version on two PCs and share a file. Quickbooks won't let you do that.

It's better to have a server for central management of files and user accounts. one machine to backup. does he really need it? it's up to haze and his company to decide. not just for quickbooks, but for print sharing, file sharing, security etc. a little investment in the hardware/software will save on the management time. that's hard to quantify, but it needs to be factored in.

I would highly recommend mirroring or even RAID5. it will save your **** big time. even if you have a tape backup, it will take quite a while to restore the server from the tape. this could be hours. time is money in the business world. it's better to have a mirror online, then if one drive goes dead you still have a live one. I had a drive die on me and it only took a few minutes to replace the drive and then recreate the mirror set. maybe half an hour at the most. this is versus the hours it would have taken to restore from my travan tapes. a little insurance now will pay big dividends in the future.