Thread: Slow internet access question

Slow internet access question

I have a high speed networking question.

Currently I'm a Rogers High Speed Internet cable subscriber and am experiencing unbareably slow speeds. HowStuffWorks.com has provided some insight as to the bottleneck I'm experiencing but hasnt gone into enough detail to satisfy my needs.

Can you recommend any books/websites which better lay out the behind-the-scenes networking problems experienced when using internet access through cable. I want to know what is causing the problem and what are the possible solutions one could employee to resolve it.

HowStuffworks.com has mentioned a 6 MHZ channel which a neighborhood shares and because of this there is only so much bandwidth that can be used. Once the limits have been reached, I suppose, more collisions occur on the medium for the neighborhood and so one is waiting longer to send/receive a message. Can the situation be likened to a traffic jam without any traffic lights??
    Last edited by quantass; 02-24-2003 at 06:20 PM.

Your Solution is......

Get BELL HSE

Seriously no joke

my parents house is having the SAME F***** problem, and it's so hard to get in touch with them

it's like one of those Cell phone comercials where you get the bad signal

and another friend in the west side of Toronto, almost Burlington, is also having the same problem

it's just the Area density and the HUGE amount of people using it

no DEvices will help you here

a friend of mine in downtown not using Cable but Bells HSE has no problem at all

and FAST as HSI (high speed internet) is suppose to be

so next week i'm helping my parents switch to Bell HSE also

to finally get rid of **** Rogers ****

for a long long time i've been a Cable lover in Toronto

but now it's so slow that it's impossible to use

is WORSE than a 33.6 dial up

Upload sleep like 0.24 kbytes

download speed was only 118 Kbytes

AND FU******** ISDN is faster than that man

anyways ....

Do the Switch

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

AllGamer,

wow thanks for the prompt reply!! Yeah Im seriously considering switching from Rogers cable but I'm trying to also weigh in the extra costs I'll incur. I'm perhaps the only person in the world without a phone line (never used it much so got rid of it). As far as i know Bell forces one to have at least a basic phone line service active before you can even get ADSL access. A shame. This would put the monthly cost at over $65 where Rogers is at $40/mon. ANother thing is Bell has a monthly bandwidth limit of like 5 Gigs or something. I do alot of eMule, Kazaa downloading and so despise any restrictions. If it werent for Rogers infrequently kicking in late at night I'd probably be more committted to the Bell idea, though.

Yes That is true

THOSE **** BELL BAST****....

well my parents are mmpphhmm... old fashioned so they Still use Phones

for them is not a problem

but yeah in my own house here USA

I only have my CABLE and my CELL

that's it, well and the CELL is like 99% of the time off anyways

cuz CABLE is .... EVERYTHING for me
    from fax to pager, to phone to etc

i only use the CELL when i'm some place i can't get a High speed connection

but well... i dunno, IF the speed is really that IRRITATING then i guess there's no much choice

my Toronto Rogers cable was Awesome until some times last year
    then it went slower, and slower and now it reached the point that is totally un-usable

everybody at my house complains about how slow things are

so when even Your parents notices that, you know old people usually don't care

then it really means there's something awfully bad about the speed
    Last edited by AllGamer; 02-24-2003 at 06:19 PM.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

If you're in the GTA, http://home.golden.net/~nsumner/
    Look has no caps and they're cheaper than Sympatico. I used Look for 2 years on a dialup with no hassles.

LOOK is no more

i wanted to use LOOK before anything else

but they CEASED operations already in Toronto

not offered anymore

current users can still use it

but they are not accepting new customers

http://www.look.ca/ultrafast/welcome.html

ok i take it back

but they changed the rules again

NOW they NEED YOU to be using their Satellite TV if not you can't get it

oh well

I'm not talking wireless Allgamer...
    http://www.look.ca/ultrafast-home-dsl/pricing.html

if you go ADSL

read the requirements

it stills needs a Phone line

and pricing is basically the same

LOOK still has to go through Bell

so it's just basically getting Bell but paying LOOK instead

Quantass didn't mention anything about not having a landline did he? No caps on the downloads would probably make up for the modem purchase if you are a heavy user and the fact that Look is $37 vs Sympatico's $45 after the promo period.

Hey guys. Excellent info. I do live in Toronto but unfortunately i DO NOT have a landline. I was beginning to salivate over the Look deal before AllGamer cleared up the phone line issue. Sheeeaaattt. BTW, the GTA DSL Provider link is well done and useful.

BTW why do Phone companies insist on users having an active phone service before allowing ADSL access. When i pick up my unserviced phone it still has the dial tone, though i cant call anywhere, indicating it's still in contact with the Bell switchers. It all sounds like extra money making nonsen$e to me. Admittedly, if i were in their place...I'd do the same thing.
    Last edited by quantass; 02-24-2003 at 07:33 PM.

Originally posted by quantass
    It all sounds like extra money making nonsen$e to me. Admittedly, if i were in their place...I'd do the same thing.
    you are Absolutely Right in all aspect

same deal with Some cable DSL provider

actually all of them i'll say

for example if you now AT&T will NOT service you Cable DSL, if you do not at least have Basic cable with them

and it just all comes down to the same ****

And as you NOTICED, even the same thing for the WIRELESS DSL via Satellite

they only provide it IF you are using their Satellite TV service