Thread: RADEON 9900 = OVERKILL?

RADEON 9900 = OVERKILL?

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/h...odetails.shtml

256 MB DDR VRAM

Wonder what comes after Radon 9900? Radeon 10K or Radeon 10,000?

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    Since the card will retail in April, 2003, nVidia will have a very short stay in, what is proving to be, the red hot Graphics Throne.

Great, I gatta wait 2 more months for video card prices to drop

Ultimate Member
    I still think my 6-months-on-the-shelf-with-no-real-competition Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB is overkill. That thing can render like there is no tommorrow; frame rates are high with DX9 runs that seem to have an enormously high polygon count. That with 6x antialiasing and 16x anistropic filtering in quality mode. Almost no influence.

With a hacked driver, I once enabled 6x and even 8X AA on a Ti 4200 oc'd to Ti 4600 levels... not to worry the performance was laughable. 8x aniso made that thing stutter.

Sad thing is I don't really do to much gaming. I'm sure there are plenty of GTS and GF2 MX owners who'd burn to get their hands on a 9700.

The only downside is that it doesn't OC very well, yet it is so powerful that is not really necessary. With optimal thermal contact and a water block, the core's temp stays at ambient (even when overclocked to 351MHz, which is the highest I have been able to get it to without a lock.) Not to mention the Ti 4200 core was still burning hot even with the waterblock and after lappage. Perhaps I owe this to the flip-chip design.

On the flip side, no pun intended, the BGA memory gets very hot, and it is bare. When My Ti4200 TSOP memory was OC'd to 621MHz, it didn't get warm. This BGA memory at 620MHz gives you a first-degree burn when you touch it. I'm debating whether I should get tweakmonster BGA sinks or just cut up the remainder of my DP5-611.

Overall ATi has come up with a really good solution. 8 pixel pipes and (four?) parallel vertex shader engines running at 324 MHz. And much cooler-running than the 500MHz FX which for all practical purposes has four pixel pipes.

Cost? Thankfully, I got mine in exchange for $180 worth of miscellaneous computer hardware. Much better than a $650 FX card with debatable advantages.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 02-23-2003 at 01:34 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by _Mystical_Night
    Since the card will retail in April, 2003, nVidia will have a very short stay in, what is proving to be, the red hot Graphics Throne.
    Boy, you really ARE playing up your avatar, aren't you?

Gone

Mystical_Night

I LOVE that avatair! It rules....

Ultimate Member
    ...much more than yours. A red X, which I've mentioned more than once.

Ultimate Member
    RADEON 9900 = OVERKILL?
    No such thing as overkill in the realm of computer hardware

--Jakk

Gone
    Originally posted by causticVapor
    ...much more than yours. A red X, which I've mentioned more than once.
    Hey you picking on my avi. I like my red X it took me a Looong time to find that pic.

I've only got a red circle...