Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: gonna buy a flat panel need some help

I use ViewSonic too but CRT

i've used the 15" ViewSonic LCD, and i'm not happy with it

is not very good

is kind of Poor compared to the Good stuff i'm used to from Viewsonic CRTs

by the way i did play games on it, and... well like i said before... did not live up to my expectations

maybe it'll work for you duuno

Awww, just deal with it. I've got a friend with a 19" that goes to a whole bunch of LANs.

Although, a flat panel would be nice. . .
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Ultimate Member
    LCD viewage is more of an adaptation thing. It takes time before one really gets used to the advantages -- less flickering and the absence of a required refresh strobe. Although arguably LCDs output fewer candelas of light, the difference is offset by their discrete granularity. CRTs may have fewer issues with dot pitch displacement, but they have the added curvature which cannot be compensated for 100% (although many "flat face" ones come very close to that number).

LCDs are undoubtedly more fragile than their CRT brethren, yet at the same time are very lightweight and easy on the power source. Thus, they are good for people on transformers whose system's current draw is exceedingly high.

CRTs have uncontested distort-free resolution ranges that blow the doors off any LCD on the market. They also can be considerably cheaper at the same time, while producing more accurate imagery, which is critical in CAD and DCC applications.

There are advantages to electron guns and at the same time fixed matrices. The disadvantages are obvious as well -- color guns eventually fail and in the same time duration TFT components suffer electron migration.

Basically, if you are an average one who sits behind a monitor all day, get a good high-refresh CRT or an LCD. The LCD will be easier on your eyes, even though you might not be able to tell the difference. And as LCD illumination technology, TFT frequencies, and low-resolution averaging get better and better, along with decreased eventual manufacturing costs, it will be a no-brainer decision as to what you should buy.

But for now, if you want that nice high dynamic range and dot pitch advantage, go for the CRT by all means.

By the way - viewsonic's LCD was a disappointment, much unlike its award-winning series of CRTs. There are others other there from samsung, ilyama and LG, that provide stellar response time, brightness and clarity.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 02-19-2003 at 11:33 PM.

alright I'll remember not to get viewsonic then, but like I said one of my friends has a 17inch viewsonic flat panel and it's soooo nice, but I can't afford that kinda price

koGI

CompUSA and Best Buy were doing massive rebates on Kogi 17' flat panels. I got a black, good looking 17" for $279 after $160 and $100 rebates. Yes, I am sure it is a cheapo, but for that price, you can buy two. If ya get a replacement plan, you can just trade 'em in at best buy if too many pixles die.

I'll tell ya, i was very pleased with mine. and sounds like just what ya want.

whats a good response time on these things, and is higher or lower better?

MS MCP, MCSE