Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has Intel hit a wall ?

Has Intel hit a wall ?

On an average it seems the P4 proc runs hotter than it's predecessors the socket 370 PIII and celeron. Also the P4 seemed to be developing at rather a fast pace as far as product release up untill the P4 3.06 and now I havent really seen much in the way of development news. Plus add in the negative reviews on Intels hyper-threading technology and one begins to seriously wonder.
    I'm now contemplating the next personal build for myself and looking towards AMD as a strong possibilty, but again am wondering whats on the horizon for AMD as well. Is it possible they've just slowed down in order to sell all the proc's they produced during their last race ?.
    Everybody's talking about SATA capable boards, but where are the drives ?.

both Intel and AMD are focusing their R&D into the 64 bit Arena

so you wont see much in the 32bit race no more except for Cyrix vs Transmeta, and other low end like WinCPU, etc

Thanks Midknyte. me wonders if they'll stay in the socket A and 478 format ?.

Ultimate Member
    The 64-bit athlons will be housed in an entirely different socket.

And the 3GHz P4 consumes 81.8 watts of power. Not laughable, especially for the voltage regulator. Expect no more than 3.2-3.4 and then Prescott.

It'll take a long time for 64-bit intel CPUs to reach the desktop market. Prescott will incorporate SSE3 and HT2.

Originally posted by causticVapor

It'll take a long time for 64-bit intel CPUs to reach the desktop market. Prescott will incorporate SSE3 and HT2.
    lets c how long it will take amd to get there

It's posts like these that make my proc feel slower than it is. HT? HT2? SSE2? My 1.4Tbird doesn't even have full SSE support.
    ----------
    Athlon Tbird 1.4 @ 1.55Ghz
    Soyo Dragon Lite KT333
    Geforce4 ti4200 128mb by Visiontek
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    WD8000JB 7200rpm 8mb
    Seagate 30GB 5400rpm
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server

lol my current PII doesnt have almost any support other than MMX.. o well all my parts should be here by friday i hope

How many watts does a highend AMD chip consume?

70 odd watts.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Ultimate Member
    71.8 so far... for barton.

At the moment Intel is focusing on chipsets as the next stage in development rather than processors. They have clockspeed well in hand so they want to focus on improving P4's inefficiencies.

The upcoming 800MHz FSB and Hyperthreading will go a long way towards helping with Intel's low IPC and data starvation problems. Remember how badly the original P4 performed with low speed RAM? Say a P4 1.5GHz paired with SDRAM? The new ones are in bad shape too for data starvation two. Speeds have doubled and FSB has gone up 33%. Memory bandwidth (except on Granite Bay) hasn't gone up measurably either.

New chipsets could surprise us.

I'm saying this and I don't even like the P4 design.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Ultimate Member
    The only bad thing is that HT, like SSE2, requires application support. And while few mainstream applications I know of support SSE2, mostly for video, even fewer support multithreading. I suppose it's a transitional phase -- introducing things from the server world [multithreading] into the desktop market, just like with HDDs. By far most mainstream HDDs do not rotate at 10000 RPMs, nor do they even have 8MB of cache. Most mainstream processors are of the Pentium III generation -- and do not support SSE2 or HT. Heck, right now there's only one desktop CPU on the market that is HT-enabled. Though this is bound to change, widespread adoption will take time.

Why introduce a technology years before it is really useful? $.

800MHz FSB and HT will undoubtedly help fill the P4's pipelines but the latter needs software support in order to do it.

All in all, I believe there are fewer pitfalls to AMD's design, to quote Van Smith, even though I am no fan of bigotry.

-Alsir
    Last edited by causticVapor; 02-22-2003 at 01:17 AM.

Ultimate Member
    I like the "better clock distribution for improved frequency scaling" idea. Seems like intel is doing with prescott what AMD did with the T-bred B.

Prescott might just be an overclocker's dream.

Mmmmmmm. Prescott, :drool:. I have a 2.8Ghz P4, but I cant wait to get my hands on one of those Prescotts.