Thread: Writing CD's with PC to read on a MAC

Writing CD's with PC to read on a MAC

I have downloaded from the internet some drivers which are needed for an iMac.

The drivers are about 20Mb so I was going to stick them on a CD-R using nero or something to transfer from my PC to the mac.

I tried burning the CD but when trying it in the mac it says the disk cannot be read.

I have other CD's which I have burnt from a PC in the past which open fine and the files/folders on there can be browsed on the mac no problem.

Any ideas or tips on what options to choose so that the CD's I record will open on the mac without any probs. I wouldnt mind but it reads PC floppy disks without any probs at all so why the fus with CD-R's !?
    take a look at some real hardware mods:

www.condoms.co.uk

If you are using a CD RW try a CD R.

If you were using a CD R try setting the Nero options to close the disc or finalize the CD. I have not used nero for a while so I do not know how to change them exactly. In Roxio it is a option after I click the Burn button. I simply need to expand the dialog to see the option.
    -- Mathias

you can use any software and CD disk you want

Just make sure when you RECORD

select HYBRID CD

I tried a CD-R and I tried finalising and closing so it cannot be written to again but still no luck.

I'll have a look for the hybrid CD option you mention.

Thanks

www.condoms.co.uk

From the Nero help files:

Hybrid CDs contain the well known ISO 9660 and additionally the Apple Macintosh HFS file system. Such CDs will be both readable by Macs and PCs. Nero creates so called „non shared" Hybrid CDs. That means, files to be read by Macs and PCs must exist twice (one ISO and one HFS copy of the file) on the CD.

That looks like the answer then !

Cheers guys !

www.condoms.co.uk

Try burning in the ISO 9960 or whatever format they call it. It's the standard in nero... make sure the settings are right?

Originally posted by ahzl
    Try burning in the ISO 9960 or whatever format they call it. It's the standard in nero... make sure the settings are right?
    No that wont work READ what
    bassman and i said before

MACs are different

Actually, ISO 9660 is readable by Macs.

cheekymonkey, the reason it worked for you before and not now is that if you are attempting to burn Mac specific files, such as programs, the standard ISO 9660 format will not preserve the Macintosh file attributes after burning. It is fine for cross platform file types such as jpegs, mp3's, Word files, etc., but not for Mac specific files such as drivers.

Try zipping the files first, then burning them. Most likely this will work, (if it doesn't, you're probably doing something wrong). If all else fails, you will need to create a hybrid cd.

You will then need a way to unzip them on the Mac, try Alladin's Stuffit Expander (it's free) if you don't already have it.

Hybrid cd's are generally used for creating commercial installable software cd's that need to work on both platforms. They are also for creating cd's which can be bootable on both platforms and for cd's in which you will be running the programs (on the cd) from the cd itself.....such as games, etc. They're also necessary if you want to burn Mac specific files to a cd using a PC.

However, creating a hybrid cd in in Nero is not as simple as just selecting "Hybrid CD".

In order to create a hybrid cd using Nero, you will first need a SCSI drive (IDE will not work). You will then need to put that drive in a Macintosh and format an HFS partition on it. Then you will need to transfer that drive back to your pc so that Nero can image that HFS partition onto the cd-r.

The only other way you can create a hybrid cd using a PC (it's much easier to make one on a Mac...you can just use Easy CD Creator in that case...Mac to PC hybid is easy, PC to Mac is not) is to use a program called MacImage. MacImage is the only program made that can make a Mac/PC hybrid disk without having to have an actual HFS partition on your hardrive. It creates a temporary virtual HFS partition to do it. You can then point Nero (as MacImage is not a burning program) to that image for imaging it onto a cd-r.

MacImage is probably your best bet, short of getting hold of a Mac with a burner.

MacImage:

http://www.macdisk.com/macimgen.php3
    Last edited by mpc2; 02-20-2003 at 03:48 AM.

mpc2

hey did you took that Logo from Need For Speed 2 ?

Nah, I got it from some sports site somewhere...can't remember which one though.

Originally posted by mpc2
    Actually, ISO 9660 is readable by Macs.

cheekymonkey, the reason it worked for you before and not now is that if you are attempting to burn Mac specific files, such as programs, the standard ISO 9660 format will not preserve the Macintosh file attributes after burning. It is fine for cross platform file types such as jpegs, mp3's, Word files, etc., but not for Mac specific files such as drivers.

Try zipping the files first, then burning them. Most likely this will work, (if it doesn't, you're probably doing something wrong). If all else fails, you will need to create a hybrid cd.

You will then need a way to unzip them on the Mac, try Alladin's Stuffit Expander (it's free) if you don't already have it.

Hybrid cd's are generally used for creating commercial installable software cd's that need to work on both platforms. They are also for creating cd's which can be bootable on both platforms and for cd's in which you will be running the programs (on the cd) from the cd itself.....such as games, etc. They're also necessary if you want to burn Mac specific files to a cd using a PC.

However, creating a hybrid cd in in Nero is not as simple as just selecting "Hybrid CD".

In order to create a hybrid cd using Nero, you will first need a SCSI drive (IDE will not work). You will then need to put that drive in a Macintosh and format an HFS partition on it. Then you will need to transfer that drive back to your pc so that Nero can image that HFS partition onto the cd-r.

The only other way you can create a hybrid cd using a PC (it's much easier to make one on a Mac...you can just use Easy CD Creator in that case...Mac to PC hybid is easy, PC to Mac is not) is to use a program called MacImage. MacImage is the only program made that can make a Mac/PC hybrid disk without having to have an actual HFS partition on your hardrive. It creates a temporary virtual HFS partition to do it. You can then point Nero (as MacImage is not a burning program) to that image for imaging it onto a cd-r.

MacImage is probably your best bet, short of getting hold of a Mac with a burner.

MacImage:

http://www.macdisk.com/macimgen.php3
    You, my friend, are indeed correct.

After looking through pages of how to create a Hybrid CD I learnt yesterday about first needing a SCSI drive with the HSF format on it !
    I will explain my situation, I am trying to install a CD writer on an iMAC, the software included fails to install saying "carbonlib" cannot be found, I have since learnt this is an aditional free program for macs which increases functionality so I have downloaded "carbonlib" from the internet using my PC and now have the 2 files needed (.bin files) to install carbonlib.
    All I need to do is copy the 2 files onto a CD so I can transfer them to the mac (they are about 20mb)

If I use Winzip on my PC to zip the files, will Stuffit expand them? I know the iMac has stuffit expander installed.

I wrote the files to CD as normal but when reading the CD in the iMAC it cannot read the disc saying it must be initialised first etc.

Out of curiosity I then tried various other CD's which I have written over the past 2 years containing everything from small applications for my PC to drivers etc and the iMAC could open some of those CD's no problem and browse the folders just like on a PC!!??

www.condoms.co.uk