Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Repair a chipped chip???

Repair a chipped chip???

I'm not real sure how this happened, but I have an idea. My cpu is an AMD XP 2100+. Bought it new. I think during the course of removing and re-installing the various heatsink/fan assemblies, the clip that holds it down has chipped away some of the top of the CPU, exposing(not damaging) a gold item or two.
    The computer was acting erratic, rebooting by itself, not restarting, etc. That's when I noticed the problem stated above.
    My question: Does there exist some kind of CPU 'bondo' or filler that i can repair the chip with?
    Or is this even an option? Maybe that stuff they use when overclocking the XP 2400+??
    Any help appreciated........
    Thanks, boinkt

Nope. If it's broke, it's broke. Sorry
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

I would be very superised if you could fix it. these things work on a microscopic level.
    If you have broke it it's nacked.
    I chiped a corner of a 1gz Althon and it would not show jpeg images and outher wiered stuff.
    Remember at the end of the day these things are made out of a form of glass and need to be treated as souch.

Ultimate Member
    I doubt it very much, if you got a warranty start proceedings for a replacment, if not, tiem to draw some cash from the bank for a new chip

--Jakk

Intimate Member
    Hmmmmmm... well, firstly.. I am a big experimenter.. I will try most anything once (maybe twice!).

I shipped my Daughter a system a few months ago and during the transit..the heatsink came off (thank God for shims!). The cpu (a 1.4 ghz factory unlocked Tbird) was chipped on one corner, and down one side...just a little bit. I had her remove the mainboard and ship it back to me. Using a jewelers eye piece, I could see the metallic parts inside the core at the chipped corner.

I fired it up in a test-bed setup and it was acting a bit funny in Windows. I took some cleaner (acetone...I know..not good, but as I said.. I experiment.) cleaned everything good and mixed up a little paste type epoxy, put a dab on that corner of the cpu to reseal it.. using a very small knife like instrument, I 'molded' the epoxy to the core so that it would not be higher than the core top. Let it set up and harden.

I have it running now in my machine, and there does not appear to be any instability anymore.

Where this seems to have worked out for me this time, it probably was more of a fluke than anything else. But..before I throw anything away, I will attempt a repair...like, I mean...if I am gonna ****-can something anyway...give a repair a shot.

If by chance you are not gonna try boinkt... I would like to take a shot at it...

Please obtain and use a non conductive shim in the future.. they were designed to stop just such as this.

I would try a fix too as you have nothing to loose at this point and experience to gain. I would try the thick version of super glue. Build it up in layers till it fills the chipped space. If you quit fooling around with paste and use the recommended thermal pad you won't find yourself un-mounting the heat-sink every few months and the cushion effect of the pad will help prevent this kind of damage.

Gone
    "If you quit fooling around with paste and use the recommended thermal pad you won't find yourself un-mounting the heat-sink every few months and the cushion effect of the pad will help prevent this kind of damage."

LOL that so WRONG. I use as3. Have from day one. A year after using it I checked as here at sysopt the wuestion of it wearing out came up. Guess what, it was still 100% effective temp wise and when sink was removed it wasnt dry. Been about a year AGAIN and I have no intent on taking it off as my temps are still great. AS even friggen tells ya it wont degrade over time-so its all rumour and 0% truth. ALL my systems use paste and will continue to untill atleast one shows dif. On amd I use cooler master non conductive HS paste cause of the exposed circuits vs. the P4 that I use as3 on. AS also makes a ceramic based paste that is also non conductive and DOESNT dry out.

LOL that so WRONG. I use as3. Have from day one.
    OK, but then how do you know if the recommended thermal pads work better or worse?

Chipped chip

Well thanks to the optimists!!! I don't remember asking if I could save the chip or what my chances were or anything...
    I didn't play ping pong with it to cause the damage. Just in the course of fine tuning the cooling options(i.e. changing HS's, fans and ducting)and using the old style HS clips(the new ones are cool), it just happened. No malice!
    I've been building, and experimenting with, my own computers since the 486 days, and just wanted some input on the existance of the filler(bondo).
    Once again, thanks for the advice, optimists! And thanks to the others too, for caring enough to toss in your two cents worth!
    One last thing, can I make my own copper shim? i would think so, if i had dimensions. If someone has them or a link at hand, that would be nice. Otherwise, I can find them I'm sure.
    Thanks again, boinkt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bovon
    [B]Hmmmmmm... well, firstly.. I am a big experimenter.. I will try most anything once (maybe twice!).

Using a jewelers eye piece, I could see the metallic parts inside the core at the chipped corner.

I fired it up in a test-bed setup and it was acting a bit funny in Windows. I took some cleaner (acetone...I know..not good, but as I said.. I experiment.) cleaned everything good and mixed up a little paste type epoxy, put a dab on that corner of the cpu to reseal it.. using a very small knife like instrument, I 'molded' the epoxy to the core so that it would not be higher than the core top. Let it set up and harden.

I have it running now in my machine, and there does not appear to be any instability anymore.

Where this seems to have worked out for me this time, it probably was more of a fluke than anything else. But..before I throw anything away, I will attempt a repair...like, I mean...if I am gonna ****-can something anyway...give a repair a shot.

wow!
    You da man.

Like he said why not give it a try. You've nothin to lose.
    Make sure the epoxy is not a conductor. good luck! mc

Gone
    "OK, but then how do you know if the recommended thermal pads work better or worse?"

Worse. Many reasons too if ya want I will list them and they can all be proven with cold hard facts off of links. Also I had this rig before I had AS3 so in the begining I did use the TIM on retail HSF unit. "Have from day one." wasnt ment litteraly. It was more like a week after but close enuff. Temps went down 5C after that. Well worth 10 min. of time Id say and no HSF change either just stock. Allowed this 1.5willy to hit 1.8gig and still what stock temp was with tim. So it does do what it claims. Its not the cure to all heat probs. but it is easier to remove than a tim if ya change a HSF unit. I had to scrape the tim off, then heat it slowly with a torch till the tim got real runny and wipe off. Then clean with alcohol. Real pain it was to get it all off.
    AMD just wants ya to use the TIM cause its dummy proof as it gets. Some people are just too plain dumb to use paste properly and this is their nice politically correct way of dealing with it and the many RMA's that result from it. Some one like me who blue prints engine blocks regulary (measureing all end plays like cam shaft/crank tolerences, piston rings gap-which I mill to exact spec. and LOTS more) its not even a challenge much less a risk. Id say in all fairness paiste is Great in worthy hands and useless or even dangerous in the wrong ones.
    Last edited by $1500-P4 gamer; 02-17-2003 at 01:42 AM.

Intimate Member

Re: Chipped chip

Originally posted by boinkt
    One last thing, can I make my own copper shim? i would think so, if i had dimensions. If someone has them or a link at hand, that would be nice. Otherwise, I can find them I'm sure.
    Thanks again, boinkt
    Don't use copper. Using a metalic shim has been known to get misplaced on the cpu base and short out the electronics.

If you make your own... how thick will you make it?...one mm too thick and you will damage the cpu by overheating. One mm too thin, and it does not protect the core from damage.

You want to do something that will protect the core from damage when heat sinks are installed or removed?..try the following:

http://www.bunkermentality.net/protection.html

Or, buy one from CrazyPC (well, heck..they are sold out at the moment)

http://www.crazypc.com/products/acce...ries.htm#shims

Intimate Member

Re: Chipped chip

Originally posted by boinkt
    Well thanks to the optimists!!! I don't remember asking if I could save the chip or what my chances were or anything...
    I didn't play ping pong with it to cause the damage. Just in the course of fine tuning the cooling options(i.e. changing HS's, fans and ducting)and using the old style HS clips(the new ones are cool), it just happened. No malice!
    I've been building, and experimenting with, my own computers since the 486 days, and just wanted some input on the existance of the filler(bondo).
    You come on a bit strong for a newcomer to SysOpt, but we do welcome you here and hope you will stick around to help others as you can.

I do not recall you telling us anything about your expertise up front. For all we knew, the first computer you ever saw is the one you just built and damaged the core.

The members here try to assist anybody that comes here for help..many of these people are extremely dense, and it takes a lot of explaining some how-toos to get a point across.

After you have been a member here for a year or so, you will understand better how difficult it can be trying to help others that do not tell everything in the first place.

Bought it new. I think during the course of removing and re-installing the various heatsink/fan assemblies, the clip that holds it down has chipped away some of the top of the CPU, exposing(not damaging) a gold item or two.
    If you do it right the first time you won't have this kind of problem and if you stick to stock recommended solutions you have a warrenty to fall back on if you break the chip during installation. Some folks can call me a dummy but I have installed hundreds of cpu's and never broke one or burned one out yet.

Since the prices are dropping it sounds like time for an upgrade. dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to bid our final farewell to an XP cpu that gave it's all in a lifetime of crunching raw data. may ye rest in peace. Now toss it in the trash bin and go to newegg.com and get a faster one. LOL.