Thread: Fish tank /w fish as reservoir for water cooling.

Fish tank /w fish as reservoir for water cooling.

I've been thinking of adding some water cooling to my oh so hot cpu. I'm running a 1.333Ghz t-bird @ 45c. Plus my case is loud as ****. I've got a fish tank, with fish; has any one tried using a fish tnank /w fish as a reservoir? The fish would love the warmer temps (I need to keep the water warm with a light, and having a light on 24/7 reall sucks). So I don't know. I'm just asking for some simple water cooling techniques. I might as weel go with an enclosed setup =\.

What do you guys think? Go with a fish tank idea or with just a simple in case closed setup with a radiator.
    [IMG]www.garbercentral.com/vadim/266.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know if this guy actually put fish in his fish tank, but he did set up a water cooling system with a fish tank.
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips948/

Hmm...

I think I'm going to use alcohol as the liquid, so I guess the fish tank idea is out =\. Don't want my fish drunk . I'm looking into various water cooling. I'm looking for a solution that's mobile. I want something I can take to lanparties with out taking a fish tank ;-). Hmm... A fully enclosed system maybe with a small tank and radiator. That would be perfect. Hmm... Just need to figure out how much it's going to cost me and if it's worth it. I mean the most expensive part would be the radiator and cpu-sink.
    [IMG]www.garbercentral.com/vadim/266.jpg[/IMG]

your pump will suck the fish's **** into your whole water cooling system

after a few days, your block and tube will get stuck, water cant go throught then u know what happend.......

WARNING :
    your t-bird could cook that fish

Personally, I think its a cool idea. H2O kits in case still use fans so you don't lose all the noise. There is one here:

http://www.ahanix.com/iceberg.html

which is about the cheapest I have seen. A problem is that the pump is 120 volts so you have to turn it on independently, which is a drag.

If you want to try the aquarium idea, this would be a good pump I think:

http://www.dk-nugget.com/catalog/att...olt_872726.htm

I am eventually going to watercool my 2100+ b and 8rda+, just don't know how yet.

Check out my system here.

I DO NOT recommend the Ahanix kit. Put simply, it is ****, both performance and quality wise. Same goes for the Thermaltake kit.

Also, you do not want a 12V pump. It will put excess strain on your power supply. Almost all real water-cooling systems use 120V pumps. Popular brands are Eheim, Danner, Maxijet and Little Giant. When selecting a pump for a water cooling system, pump head is far more important than pump flow. Pump flow numbers are almost always given at 0' of head, which renders them useless.

Why do you want to use alcohol in your system? A pure distilled water system is practically the best performance wise. Sometimes, people use additives such as Water Wetter or Purple Ice to increase their performance slightly. You only want to use alcohol if you're building a sub-zero system.

The fishtank idea is very sound. Of course, it will prevent you from easily moving your case, but that isn't a problem for some people. If you do it, you might want to put a filter over the fish tank outlet to keep your water cooling system clean.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

I think it would be a really cool idea. The temp difference would be very minimal - and since fish are cold blooded it shouldn't matter to them at all. If anything they would appreciate it. The only problem would be you'd definitely want to do some good filtering of your intake water (to your computer) . . getting fish flakes and other debris that ends up in your aquarium would not be good running through your computer plumbing. As long as you have some sort of screen on your intake - or no small fish (like guppies - been there done that:P) - then they shouldn't be getting stuck in the plumbing. It would definitely be very interesting and unique. . but not very portable