Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steps to install Win98 Upgrade as a Full Version on a new harddisk!!

Steps to install Win98 Upgrade as a Full Version on a new harddisk!!

I currently formatted my harddisk and I only have the Win98 Upgrade Version CD. I also have the old Win95 CD but it's not bootable. I also have the Win 98 Startup Disk but I can't seem to install the upgrade version.

Wherever I go to SETUP, it will just run a SCANDISK and stops there. It'll return to the black screen again. What is the problem? My cousin done the installation before but I can't understand his method. Pls enlighten me!!
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

If it won't let you install 98, boot with the floppy......install 95 and then upgrade to 98 after it installs.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

boot from floppy. start the installation of 98, when promped for the first diskette or cd of win95, pop in the cd, then swap again when prompted.

definately DO NOT install Win 95 first. That defeats the purose of a clean install. I would call it a dirty install!!

Originally posted by gjimene2
    boot from floppy. start the installation of 98, when promped for the first diskette or cd of win95, pop in the cd, then swap again when prompted.
    This is how it's done.

do that and you should be fine...
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

but why 98 when you can buy 2000 for around the same and install it with no problems and have a stable PC.
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Originally posted by krusty
    definately DO NOT install Win 95 first. That defeats the purose of a clean install. I would call it a dirty install!!
    The lad said in his first post that is precisely what he did, tried the boot disk then 98 and it wouldn´t go beyond the first screen. It never got far enough to ask for the 95 cd. READ THE POST!
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Try zapping your hard drive and then give it another go:
    http://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/hddtech/zap.exe

try to copy the contents of the cd to your hard drive and then try the installation again.

btw, did you delete any partitions? just curious, I had a client who had the same problem, the thing was that he deleted all partitions and tried to do the same thing

The thing that I have always done on a fresh isntall of an os, is to install dos 6.22, then install windows 95 (if the hardware isn't good enough for 98) or install windows 98 (even upgrade) and then just convert the fat to fat32, and if the disk is bigger than 2 gigs use partition magic to resize the disk. sounds like alot, but it's a piece of cake and the system is rock stable, even for 98!

edit*

this is my tool kit for what I do most of the time for my client's pc's.

Dos 6.22
    Generic CD-rom Driver
    Win95
    Win98
    Partition Magic 8

ofcoarse I only install the os if they have it already

Check at www.bootdisk.com Good Luck

Originally posted by gjimene2
    try to copy the contents of the cd to your hard drive and then try the installation again.

btw, did you delete any partitions? just curious, I had a client who had the same problem, the thing was that he deleted all partitions and tried to do the same thing

The thing that I have always done on a fresh isntall of an os, is to install dos 6.22, then install windows 95 (if the hardware isn't good enough for 98) or install windows 98 (even upgrade) and then just convert the fat to fat32, and if the disk is bigger than 2 gigs use partition magic to resize the disk. sounds like alot, but it's a piece of cake and the system is rock stable, even for 98!

edit*

this is my tool kit for what I do most of the time for my client's pc's.

Dos 6.22
    Generic CD-rom Driver
    Win95
    Win98
    Partition Magic 8

ofcoarse I only install the os if they have it already
    Good grief gjimene2, you're a real glutton for punishment. If done right it it should install with just a win98 boot disk, the win 95 cd and the win 98 cd. You should first remove any existing partitions, create a new one then format the disk with the /s option. If the install for win98 freezes after the scandisk operation then something else is wrong. There is no need to install any OS other then win98. As for Partition Magic, that program is a disaster waiting to happen, especially with a newly partitioned and formatted hard drive.
    Last edited by ukulele; 02-13-2003 at 11:55 AM.

Guys! I have successfully installed Win98 but I can't load my Windows. The bootup is fine but it will give me an error after displaying the Windows logo.

The error: Windows Protection Error. Please restart your computer.

I restarted three times and still no use. I even formatted my harddisk twice. Also useless.

Is it the connection problem or harddisk problem? Don't tell me that my harddisk is gone becos I just used it recently. I kept that harddisk in storage for half a year and it is a new harddisk. The seal package is still intact when I opened the box.

Pls enlighten me...
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

A Windows Protection Error can be caused by a lot of things. Main culprits are Video card, bad ram, viris, viris protection software and corrupted files just to name a few. Your next step for us to help you is to post you system hardware specs.

It could be a power management issue or HDD cache problem.

For Power management:
    Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu, and then select Safe Mode Command Prompt Only.
    Use any text editor (such as Edit.com) to open the System.ini file in the Windows folder.
    Locate the "device=pwrsave.vxd" line in the [386enh] section of the System.ini file, and then disable it by placing a semicolon ( at the beginning of the line.
    Save and then close the System.ini file.
    Restart your computer.

For Disk Cache
    Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu, and then select Step By Step Confirmation
    Says no to IFSHLP.SYS and SMARTDRV and say Yes to everything else.

Also make sure there are no lines in C:\CONFIG.SYS or C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

Are you using a Serial Mouse or PS2? Serial Mice cause this problem on Toshiba Computers due to a compatibility problem with the Toshiba Power Management drivers.

Here is the Link to M$ troubleshooting procedures:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;149962
    -- Mathias