Page 16 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: POST YOUR 3DMARK 2003 SCORES HERE!!!!

Thanks dj4play.

I just installed Catalyst 3.5, and now everything is sweet. Score jumped to 3775 on 4xAGP, and I haven't even done any fiddling yet. Also playing with the ATI demos. Those real-time renderings are amazing. . . I almost cried!!!! Real-Time Pixar may not be such a dream afterall :-)

I see it now dj

Man, I looked at that page early today, and did not see it. Then, I had to look at the link three times before I saw it. LOL, it is rough when you get old, I just wonder what other things I am missing

BTW : You wrote--
    gigabit lan is for wired network use, but the speed isnt much good unless your network equipment is up to scratch

Can I use the gigabit lan as a nic, and plug my cable modem into it, or does the lan require different hardware?? That is question one.

Question 2: Now that I see that your board supports the P5, how is it that it that it supports the P4, as they are talking power design?? Does it have extra pin outs or something??

Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4/Celeron up to 3.2GHz+
    - IntelĀ® Hyper-Threading Technology ready
    - New power design supports IntelĀ® next generation Prescott CPU!!

Looks like a good board. I am tempted to return the P4PE to NewEgg and eat the 15% restocking fee and shipping charges lol.

you wont regret it dude, this board rocks.

im not sure how it supports the new prescott cpu, but if they claim it to be true - I hope they aren't lying!

i was just fiddling about in my case and my idle temp has just gone up to 50c+!!! ARGH (think i need to redo my hsf, must've knocked it or something)

The current plan is for the first Prescotts to be released in socket 478, and then to move on to a 775 "Pin" Land Grid Array for the later models.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

DJ/Rugor

DJ

Yep, something is wrong if 50c at idle, mine tops out under heavy load at 50c.(or should I say, that 50 is the top temp the smart fan allows it to go). BTW, I just used the silicon heat sink grease that came with the Spark 7 hs/f, is there a need for the artic silver and others like it. Since this smart fan allows it to go to 50c any way, I can not see where it would make any difference in my situation??

Rugor--question

Does that mean that any board with 478 socket(IE my P4PE with 478), will be able to run the Prescotts in 478 form??

Thanks

No it doesn't mean that any socket 478 board will be able to run the socket 478 prescotts. I don't think anything below the 865/875 series can handle the FSB it requires, or the bandwidth.

The board will need to support the right voltages for Prescott, 800FSB, dual DDR 400, and Hyper Threading at a minimum. I don't think you will ever see a Prescott on any 845 board and if you did it would probably be a dog because it wouldn't have enough data.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Rugor

Thanks for the answer Rugor

DG

DJ

You get your heat problem fixed?? If so, what was it.

I checked receipt, it has been a little over 6 weeks since I bought the P4PE from NewEgg--too late to return. That is ok though. It is fast enough for now, and I can upgrade to hyperthreading in a yr or so. So two yrs from now will just get the best mobo/cpu that I can afford at that time--Jst wish I had seen the mobo you have

Rugor and Roadhog

wow, they arent updating me when people post on this thread anymore!!

i took out my hsf and reinstalled with new arctic silver 3 and everything - gettin my volcano 7 off was an absolute ******* too and almost put a hole in my m/board!!! :O

put it all back together - STILL 56c!!!! ARGh. switched off, came back on this morning and decided to close down all progs running in the background. BASTARDS AT CRONOSOFT with that xp visual tools software was just draining my cpu with its transparent startmenu etc. turned the prog off and temp dropped back down to ambient 32-36c.... after all that... LOL

rugor how do u know all this stuff about *everything* lol. Yea I believe the 865 and 875 will be able to support the prescott cpu , but i think the motherboard has to complement it too. My bus can run up to 400mhz which is a theoretical 1600mhz? so should be enough for the new processors. Asus boast about its capability to do so anyhow.

BTW, about ur ethernet question. I think cable modems usually plug into the computer via a normal ethernet/lan cable so if your cable modem works this way you WILL be able to plug it straight into the intel gigabit connection. You can only but try - and if it doesnt work, nevermind?

waiting for my other stick of corsair ram now, a3 editing in photoshop was a nightmare earlier....
    Last edited by dj4play; 06-28-2003 at 08:22 PM.

I don't know how others do it, but my method is simple. I spend at least two hours a day keeping up on what's happening in the IT world. Put time and effort into it and you get results.

DJ

Yea I got the gigabit lan working Friday night. Figured I would try the patch. I had a bear of a time finding the right driver file with the patch unzipped. I had read up on it a little, and some others seem to be having problems with the gig/lan, but they did not mention how they were using it, just that their contact with ASUS, and the techs took a while to get it going.

Per your last post, I am not sure how the software could have made your board run that hot(If I am reading your post correctly). A heavy load should be a heavy load, and what you were running was a little hot. Just my opinion. Maybe Rugor can give us his views on that subject. Like you DJ, I am pretty impressed with the "Gor" . I have been around the block my self, some people you hear are BS, then there are the ones you kind of look at(or listen to in this case), and wait to see what they have to say next. --RH--

yea when I load that prog up it just takes off. not sure why, the transparency stuff is pretty cpu intensive i know that much - did realise quite how intensive it would be though.

i prob need more case fans too, i'm only running 3 atm. Could prob do with about 3 more. Might need to change power supply soon too :S

DJ

DJ

For exhaust fans, I like the Antec Smart fan a lot(works nice, and is also quiet). They sense the temp and run what ever speed is needed. That way you do not get any more RPM then needed(thus no more noise then needed). They also make a smart-plus fan(do not have one of those). The Smart Plus is for intake, and you mount the heat sensor where ever you want(IE hot spot). I have a very large case(Antec1080--it is pretty heavy duty and very heavy). It came with three fans. I am using those for 2 intake in front, 1 on side, and use the two smart fans I bought for exhaust. The three intakes run off the fan outlet of p/s, so they run low rpm. With the five fans, it is real quiet. Besides a Dell and Micron, I have nothing to compare it to, but I like the set up--would do it again unless I saw something that worked better. The only thing I would change it to use the Smart-Plus fans for intake(and will when the supplied three cheap fans wear out).

I am not so sure that will help the cpu temp that much. Did you double check your bios, and make sure your cpu/memory voltage is correct, along with what speed it senses for the cpu fan. My spark 7 cpu runs about 2500rpm at idle, but does go up to as much as 3800rpm under load(able to go 6,000rpm if needed). Do you have a program to monitor the cpu/fan temps, as the fan should increase rmp when the temp goes up(unless yours is a fixed speed).

You better find out what is up before you fry that nice mobo and cpu. Later -RH-

LOL no it's ok dude, once i turned that program off my temps went down to 32-36c, never goes over about 43 at full load, inc photoshop and flash and stuff. .

I have 3 coolermaster case fans, love them coz they have blue led's but arent particularly clever. Q-fan and asus probe keep me going hehe.

i dont dare turn my volcano 7 up to full speed because it sounds a bit like an airplane lol. all fans blow just a touch under 3k. with the 3 case fans, 1 blows inwards on to the cpu, with one rear for exhaust and one side exhaust.

DJ/Temp

DJ

Do you know what your temp is running 3dmark2003?? When I posted my temps under load, I was using Sandra and 3dmark03 as the load. It seemed Sandra put the most stress on my system, followed by the 3dmark03.

-RH-