Page 15 of 82 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: POST YOUR 3DMARK 2003 SCORES HERE!!!!

This is a little quirk, but technically, Intel doesn't have a dual channel memory setup any more than the original pentium that required paired SIMMS had dual channel.

What Intel has is a 128bit single channel implementation, it's double the bandwidth, but not really dual channel. Nvidia's chipsets for AMD do run true dual channel, but that doesn't confer much if any advantage over Intel's wider single channel.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Rugor

thats odd because there is definately a performance gain when running in dual channel mode for me. Sandra shows me about double bandwidth when im running 2x256 as opposed to just one stick.

It's a definite performance gain, because it is essentially doubling the bandwidth, however it's not really a dual channel implementation.

What happens is Intel goes from one 64-bit channel to one 128-bit channel, while the Nvidia chipsets go from one 64-bit channel to two 64-bit channels. Both provide the same amount of bandwidth from RAM to the Northbridge, but it gets there differently. Intel certainly makes better use of the bandwidth enroute to to the CPU.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

dj4play /Rugor(e)

DJ/Ru(gore)

LOL man, Rugor, you sound pretty techie. So, I ask any one who knows

1. Is the ASUS P4PE able to run the P5 when it commes out, it is hyperthread ready, but I can not find any thing on the ASUS site that states this(also yours DJ??).
    2. Has any one run any of the Omega drivers for the ATI?? The Omega drivers are getting rave reviews, but I am (probably)doing something wrong, as they will install on my modified ati9500pro, but when I go to run the 3dbench, or games, it gets garbage, or in the case of the bench, says it can not run just about each and every mode.

I did uninstall the ati drivers and control panel first.

Omega driver in question is rad w2kxp omega 2243
    **notehese were the latest ones I could find. I am going to research it some more, but I thought I would ask you guys first. Mabe it is because I used the warp11 bios tweak (9500pro to 9700pro)?? If no answer here I will flash back to 9500pro to try the omega drivers again.

Thanks for any help

2464 on my big toy

PowerColor Radeon 9700 (non-Pro)
    512MB PC2100
    Biostar M7VIB MoBo w/ AMD XP 1800+

161? (don't remember for sure) with AIW Radeon 7500 in same system

101 on my laptop:P

Tom's Hardware/3dmark03

http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20030624/index.html

Worth the read on Nvidia/ATI, and 3dmark03--what a mess lol

Hmm, I thought I saw something on that Tom's Hardware page about ATI and running the Game 4 tests. When I try it says that test is not supported. I assumed it was a CineFX or Cg engine test, which would just be on FX. Anyone know why I can't run this test with my Radeon 9700, or are my assumptions correct?
    Last edited by Paco103; 06-27-2003 at 03:00 AM.

My own guess is that if you can't run Test 4 on a 9700 you are either using the wrong drivers or the wrong version of DirectX. My 9500 Pro with the same VPU onboard runs all of the 3Dmark tests.

paco, you've installed the drivers that come with the card - you'll need to download the latest Catalyst 5 drivers from ati. Your score sux for a 9700!!

Roadhog - check out the specifications section for my board and the details about the power architecture support for prescott is stated.
    Last edited by dj4play; 06-27-2003 at 07:30 AM.

Ultimate Member
    My PC used to freeze at 100% loading on Game Test 4 - dosent anymore though

To dj4play

dj4play

Sorry dj, I searched the North American ASUS site, and clicked on your board, and I just can't find the part about supporting the P5. If you get the chance, can you to a copy/paste, or send me the link?? Also, mine supports the gigabyte lan, what ever that is, I noticed it had a ton of updates for that device. Is that for cable or dsl--any one?? I have cable access, but I am paying for the slow connection, and using usb to connect(or 10/100, as no performance difference that can see on using the network card).. There site is not much for support, and do not know if is worth fooling with. If the lan is for cable, perhaps I should download the updates and test. If the lan is for dsl, I have no way to test. Thanks for any help from any one

The downside of USB connectivity over using an ethernet NIC for your broadband is in CPU usage rather than connect speeds. USB is a software based networking solution, and requires more CPU cycles than a NIC.

You normally get better system performance, not Internet performance from using a NIC.

Ultimate Member
    You normally get better system performance, not Internet performance from using a NIC.
    Very true, however there can be the odd exception to this, for example playing a hardwarte taxing game online. The game may already be putting a large strain on the CPU meanign it can provide less juice to the USB device decreasing internet performance. As such in day to day terms there is no difference in actual connection speeds, however on soem occasions when playing games there can be a slight boost by using NIC over USB. Either way i would always give a PCI NIC the nod ahead of USB

--Jakk

and many nic are now onboard, and even faster.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Roadhog

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800&langs=01

Under the CPU heading tells u what you need to know.

gigabit lan is for wired network use, but the speed isnt much good unless your network equipment is up to scratch. broadband internet certainly wouldnt test these sort of connections as even usb can handle broadband on the whole.