Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best athlonXP board out there?

Best athlonXP board out there?

Hello, i was wondering what everyone's opinion for the best XP board out there, preferably under $125. I recently fried my last athlonXP and motherboard in a freak PSU accident, and would like a board with a few good features in it that would serve me twice as well as my old PCChips m830lmr. Some things that i want:

I have these and would like it to be compatable with these:

-40gig WD 7200rpm hdd
    -cdrw drive
    -64meg nvidia agp4x video card (btw, are agp card
    slots backward-compatable, ie a 4x card will work in an 8x slot?)
    -40gig WD 7200rpm hdd
    -cdrw drive
    -ATX case

I would like the motherboard to have

-ddr memory (ddr recommendations would be appreciated)
    -good non-overclocking speed
    -integrated LAN (of course)
    -USB2.0 (optional, as i have a usb2.0 card, but would like to sell it)

Right now i'm looking at the GA-7VAXP from Gigabyte. I love the idea of TV out coming with it. Does anyone know how the TV out looks on TV? Is it worth using, unlike my old Savage2000 64meg with TV out?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Brian
    Last edited by gcadidas133; 01-31-2003 at 05:37 PM.

For what your looking for, i would go with an epox 8k5a2+ or the 8rda+. Very nice boards, very stable. They both come with 4 usb 2.0 ports.

As for DDR, you can go with samsung pc2100, but i would rec. samsung or corsair pc2700-3200, if you were to go with the pc3200, you would need the 8rda+ mobo, the 8k5a2+ will only support up to 3gb of pc2700.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    AMD 1700+ @ 2201mhz
    Epox 8K5A2+
    1GB Samsung PC3200

-AIR COOLED-
    Alpha PAL8045
    Vantec Tornado

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    My personal favorite atm is the Epox 8RDA+ , I was looking at the A7N8X Deluxe before but after looking through benchmarks and reviews the Epox sounds like a better deal

Specifications:
    CPU Supported: AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron processors
    Chipset: nForce2
    FSB: 333MHz Max
    RAM: 3x DDR SDRAM PC3200, 3GB Max
    IDE: 2x E/IDE Ultra DMA/133
    Slots: 1x AGP(8X), 6x PCI(32-bit)
    Ports: 2x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard, 2x Serial, 1x Parallel, 2x USB, 1x RJ-45
    Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650E 6-channel audio
    Onboard LAN: Realtek RTL8201 PHY

Looks like they sell like hotcakes too because Newegg is out of stock agian (they had it in stock 2 days ago)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...tion=Epox+8RDA

check out the reviews on the $122 one

1st choice:
    Epox 8rda+

2nd choice:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe

Both are good boards, but I like Epox more than Asus. I can't see any reason for getting a non-nforce 2 board.

Get some quality pc2700 - Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin . . .

What processor are you going to be using?
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

I'm going to go for the XP 2100+, but it depends on how low the higher processors are going to be today at this "blowout" sale i'm going to

But if i do get a XP 2100+, i'll probably upgrade to a better cpu when the best ones currently out are cheaper.

Pretty steep price increase from 2100 to 2200, $95 for the 2100 OEM and $143 for the 2200 OEM, both at Newegg.

Brian

Hey.......!!!!!!!!!

Aren't you going to share the info with the rest of us?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Soooooooo .......where's this "BIG BLOW OUT SALE," ........ I got a car! *LMAO*
    I believe that everytime a person gains new knowledge, he/she grows as an individual. So if you've been blessed with a gift of knowledge, help someone grow!

lol, i think its a little far from New Hampshire

i recommend the Abit NF7-S, as it has all the stuff you want, and its quite cheap. its based around nforce2, and has a !great! bios for overclocking!

try www.overclock.com for one of these!

this mobo takes thoroughbreds as well, so if ur gonna oc get a tbred, they make less heat!

I don't know if it's to far,....you won't give up the location!

I've been known to put quite a few miles on my car for a GREAT deal! *lol*
    I believe that everytime a person gains new knowledge, he/she grows as an individual. So if you've been blessed with a gift of knowledge, help someone grow!

Sorry, the "blowout" isnt a blowout at all...

Unless you call lots of old stuff that's highly overpriced (i.e. pc2100 512mb for $159) a blowout.

Heh, it wasnt even worth driving, what, six miles to get there

You've got a little more like... 650 or so. Columbus, Ohio!

And as for the abit-NF7-s, i'll look into that, thanks for your input, ichorid!

Brian

GEESH,.....good thing I didn't waist my gas!

Sounds like just another company pulling another "come-on" scam to try to "Blow Alot of Nothing Around" in an attempt to drive in some business!

As far as 650 miles,......Nooooooooo Problem,....I use to live in Iowa for a few years,.....made the trip (1250 miles), there and back numerous amounts of times. 22 hours if I limit the bathroom breaks!

If the deals had been REALLY A HUGE BLOW OUT,....i'd be taking out my pen and a pad of paper to taking some orders from others who I KNOW CAN'T PASS UP A GOOD BARGIN!

PS. That New ECS L7S7A2 looks very promising!

Yes, i've read about that one, but it's not up for sale on Newegg yet... I've read a few things about it and it sounds expensive. Have you any idea on what the release date or the price? Yes the extravaganza was a complete waste of my time. It was mostly a bunch of old equipment you'd have a hard time finding if, say, you broke the keyboard on your old Windows 4.1 machine, before they had those PS/2 ports. Lots of people walking up to me and acting all excited, saying "You like!?"

$3 parking, and $8 entrance fee, it really cheezed me off!! $15 or so WASTED. I buy Newegg from now on

I <3 three day free/nearly-free shipping!

I think i'm ordering the Epox tomorrow, throw in a XP 2100+ and a few fans, one HSF
    ( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ion=35-150-010 )

And a case fan, i'll have to mod my case for it though ... (two unused 5-1/2" drives free in the front...)

At least the fans are better than my one (!!) XP2000+ retail fan. Not to mention that my case has only a few holes in the sides and back, no where to mount a case fan ....

Well, have a good day!

Brian

Chinese were celebrating their New Year. I guess they don't discuss any business when they're partying!
    I'm sure it will be out within the next week or so.

Ocworkbench is hoping to see it sell for around $80. I'm sure they will be close with their guess. It is a fierce competitor for the Nforce.

I got a feeling we'll be seeing mass quantities in sales. Ocworkbench gave it 1 away from their very highest rating... (9 out of a possible 10)!
    Last edited by All4Babiedoll; 02-02-2003 at 04:46 PM.

Ahh!! i'm so torn .... I dont know which one to get, the Epox or that ECS!! ARGH!! boohoo...
    Last edited by gcadidas133; 02-02-2003 at 04:52 PM.

It is tempting,...isn't it! I was going over some of the bench marks,.........Definitely Looks like a competitor!