Thread: Router Problems

Router Problems

Hi all,
    I am going to have to ask for some help with my DSL router Im afraid, I have bitten off more than I can chew!
    I have an etec PT 3182 and I am using it to try and share a broadband internet connection across my network.
    There are two computers running windows 2000 professional. They link to the router through ethernet and I am having no problem sharing printers files etc.
    The internet connection is BT broadband. The problem is that I cannot install the internet software without installing the modem that they provided. The internet always trys to dial up using the modem that is provided by BT. I cannot even get my DSL router to be recongnised as a modem. The only software that came with was drivers if I am using USB (which I am not) and the manual does not mention anything. BTW the modem provided by my ISP is USB and cannot be shared between two computers.
    How do I set up my DSL router to share the internet?

I cannot find any info about that router, but:
    Make sure it can provide DHCP, and set the clients NIC's to DHCP.
    Ask for your ISP for manual configuration info

or,

Put a computer sharing that internet connection with their modem connected to the USB port (you can also install a software firewall in that one) and connect the router to the shared NIC.

Re: Router Problems

Originally posted by rici1

How do I set up my DSL router to share the internet?
    You can't use the router for this unless you have an Ethernet modem. You have to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing and a crossover cable between the two PCs (one NIC each).
    MS MCP, MCSE

It has an ethernet modem. A micro fliter goes into the wall jack and the phones plug into that. Also a lead runs from the mirofilter to the modem part of the router and then the PC's go into the router via ethernet. The router can provide DHCP, I will get the man. config. off my ISP.
    Thanks

Ok - in the router configuration, you need to just enter your BT logon and password in the PPPoE section.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ive done this also. The problem is that I cannot get the computer to use the DSL Router/modem to dial the internet in the first place. I have tried going into the properties page for the internet and it only shows one modem, the one BT provided, I cannot get the second one to show. Their is no 'add' facility on this menu, either.
    Thanks

First try cloning the MAC address on your PC to the router. Run IPCONFIG from a DOS prompt to get your MAC ("physical") address. Connect up the modem to your PC directly and get it running. Now quickly switch over to the router.

BT sux BTW.
    MS MCP, MCSE