Thread: Help w/ video problem plz

Help w/ video problem plz

I have 2 seperate issues, and they seem independent of video cards since I recently upgraded from a sad GeForce 2 to a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and still have the same problems. My guess it's a windows problem.

1. Sometimes when I play a game and it loads and my monitor changes resolution to display the game it automatically switches back to the desktop, and when I try to switch back to the game, it switches back to desktop automatically. I have no idea how to fix this problem except rebooting seems to clear it up for a while.

2. My monitor always looks dark. I have the contrast and brightness set to almost max but certain games and movies (in the dark sequences) are almost impossible to see.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP on a 1.1GHz AMD T-Bird on an MSI mobo with 512 MB RAM with a PNY Ge4 Ti4200 64 meg.

As far as games switching to taskbar, make sure that nothing else is forcing that - like a program, virus or trojan. Use MSCONFIG to examine your Startup programs. Trim as necessary.

A dark image could be a bad video card sample. I had a LeadTek card do that to me. Not long afterward, it failed altogether.

These two problems may be related! I would RMA the card.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Read closer Bill, he had the same problem with two different cards.

There are utilities that allow you to "calibrate" your monitor for games, so you don't get excessively dark area's in games, check the msi mobo disk for one cos that's where I got mine.

The desktop switching can be due to other programs hogging the lime light as bill suggested, so you could go here and get the jv16 power tool which is IMO better than msconfig and stop all start up progs running in the background, might also show up trojans. On trojans go here and get the fourteen day trial which should be good enough to make sure you do not have a trojan.

My strongest suspicion is that your drivers are probably cuasing the upset tum, go to guru3d.com and get the latest Nvidia and see what happens. In fact get a few and try different ones to see if you got an improvement one over another.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Which MSI app r u referring to?

I use jv17 tools and nothing unusual in the startup entries and scanned for trojans and was clean.

As far as drivers go, I update them as soon as they come out from Nvidia, and as far as I can remember (many version back,) I had still had this problem.

Any other guesses?

My monitor always looks dark. I have the contrast and brightness set to almost max but certain games and movies (in the dark sequences) are almost impossible to see
    This is a hardware problem. Return the card under warranty.
    MS MCP, MCSE

It's called 3Deep Colour from colorific and you can get it on a thirty day free trial download, will give you peace of mind if you have to return it.

find it here http://www.colorific.com/d1.htm

PS, BPB is usually closer to the mark than most. Did you have the same discolouration with the first card?
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Swithing to desktop HMM..
    Reminds me Ghost Recon .. That game was behaving sometimes like that and when that happend the only solution was to completely unistall the game (from registry also)defrag the disk and install it again after ... pain in the a...
    look for a patch in the game site (if you don't have installed already).
    As for the colors if you can't fix them with 3Deep Colour ( which works fine with my Msi gf4 ti4200) you can always increase the brightness level from the options menu in the game.
    Mohaa, wolfenstein etc they all have that feature.
    just another thing , check your desktop settings -resolution at least 75 -85
    and be sure that you have correct drivers for monitor and card
    that's all , hope that helps

ATI video cards have options in display settings to adjust gamma for games. I have never used a gforce card but I would think it would have some kind of option to do that also.