Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Criticism

Looking for Criticism

Hey, im started making a new xbox site on wendsday and im looking for some Constructive Cristicism.

http://xbnet.da.ru

Note: None of the links work yet, except for the cheats page, but not all the content has been inserted yet.
    Also www.xbnet.da.ru doesnt work, i would fix it now but im not on the right computer

And keep in mind im only 15..and it was only started 1 1/2 days ago so i dont know if this is the layout im gonna stick wit

you are 15, you smell, you're short.... oops, not that sort of critism (that of course is a joke )

nice, I like your site. I like it a lot. A couple of thing though:

- The load time was good
    - I like the graphics to the left (what did you use) but it is difficult to read XBNET across the circle.
    - Your logo, XBNET suggests X-Box Net so I would use something like XBnet or XB Net... it is slightly difficult to spot the difference immediatly.
    - The layout, is nice, clean and functional but lacks a little something, that umph that makes a good site great. It reminds me of all the computing sites, especially the MS site...Why not spice it up a little with a gradient or something (not sure what tho).

I, at 15/16 did something very similar (but not looking half as nice) and failed miserably, why? Well apart from the really bad layout (it sucked big style) I couldn't spend enough time getting the info. The info I did get was copied from other sites and ultimately I couldn't do anything different to the big sites that I was essentially copying.
    How do you propose to beat the hundreds of sites that are doing exactly what you are trying to do. How are you going to get visitors (Google is terrible to get good results)? How are you going to make money from your site (ads don't work that well anymore, affiliations are only so successful). How are you going to get the games/hardware to review yourself rather than using someone else/someother site?

My old site, which went through many design changes (non as nice as yours ) eventually settling on a fan site for the German model Heidi Klum (fit as chips ) and at's it peak was recieving about 150 visitors a day serving about 6Gig's a month. I made no money out of it even tho I had numerous affiliations and what not.

I like you am now starting a new site (www.plutonium2010.co.uk/newsite - not optimised so takes bloody ages to load if you look & it looks slightly different on my HDD, don't know why I posted the link ) which is going to review films that I see at the cinema, but I probably have completely different reasons to you. I am wanting to practice my English skills (I don't write many essays and what not studying a computer science degree ) and simply to get a presence on the web that I can call my own (and direct potential employers to). I don't expect many people to visit but maybe create a small community of people that like my site and my reviews - I don't expect that to happen for at least a year tho.

I would strongly suggest that you look again at your site and try to make your site have an edge / a unique quality that no-large site has addressed yet, why not a database of Game reviews on the net (i.e. you go to happypuppy.com, gamespot, computerandvideogames.com... and get their reviews (as well as small sites like yours will be) and link to them from your site). That way I could go to your site, look for game X, and find 20 different reviews, cheats, videos (you will never be able to serve streaming video yourself) pictures...you get the idea.

Anyway, I wish you luck if you choose to continue (I hope you aren't alone creating the site), just expect to much - it simply doesn't happen. Instead of looking for success, look towards to progressing your already considerable skills in making sites, such as how to maintain them, how to work with visitors, what works and what doesn't. Just make sure people know the site is yours, it will be very useful on your c.v. at a later date!

Stefan
    Last edited by DocEvi1; 01-10-2003 at 01:30 PM.

does anybody get the idea that DocEvi1 isn't very evi1...

[2cents]
    15? right...
    Then someone is helping you, or let's see the 13 and 14 yrs archive...

http://www.xbnet.da.ru/

works for me, though not about xbox or XBNet Staff

http://xbnet.da.ru/

is, well, green. can you make it "deep purple"?

looks ok.

where the functionality? what does it do?
    [/2cents]

Originally posted by qball
    does anybody get the idea that DocEvi1 isn't very evi1...
    ahh shucks

Stefan

by jings, I think he's forgotton about his post

Stefan

Sorry, i was at my aunts all thursday through to the weekend.

Thanks for the input, im think of just taking that whole right XBnet logo out of the page and putting in the classic XBox logo.

So far i havent thought of an "edge" upon the compitition. Mostly its just gonna be by the people, for the people. It will offer opinions, fact and some fiction about xbox and xbox games, hopefully bringing up some controversy(whats a site without any controversy?).

After im done building on all the links i have already put in the left sidebar im going to be adding many, many more features including:
    Forums
    A link portal
    a completly customizable interface/home page
    A language filter (so the younger/the easily offended audience will not become offended and they/their parents start sending me hate mail.)
    Polls

and many more..(i have a massive list at home)

and as far as money..what for? I dont really care about money at the moment(thats the great thing about being young enough to live with your parents..and not be considered a total loser..). And the best thing i can think of for getting traffic is creating an affiliation with other sites.

And yes, for the moment i am alone in this but i have gotten a couple of friends interested.

Im still tweaking with the layout. So no worries. I will be adding a gradient to the titles of the left menus. And a faint background behind the links.

If you have any other suggestions of what i should put on, please dont be afraid to tell me. And if you have/are looking at buying an xbox, then come back in about a month. We should be in full go(this is my last week of this term so i get 2 weeks off starting on friday, so i'll have alot of time on my hands).

And qball, why must somebody be helping me? I've been doing web design since 95 and have taken courses at devry for concept of design. And have taken courses at the UofC For photoshop.

is, well, green. can you make it "deep purple"?
    I really dont know if your joking or not..if you are, i dont get it. if you arent, why would I?

nice, but how are you going to pay for hosting? Your pocket (or your parents) pockets are only so deep!

When your site is finished it will be good, but what you saying suggests a tongue-in-cheek site rather than serious, which will probably drive visitors away rather than drag them in...

Stefan

Well, im hosting it by myself (i've worked out an agreement with my cable supplier). If they do however decide to change their mind and make me take it down it will only cost me $4 a month a month to have it professionally(4bucks.net) and i have a job so that wont matter much(woo for a&w!).

And hopefully it wont be that unprofessional, really i want it to be somewhat like my...i dunno what he would really be to me but hes at all of my family events..site(rawgamer.com). its a really nice site, it "used" to get alot of hits(they stopped updating it daily is what i think really went wrong), because its a very professional site but all of the content was indeed created by the average person.

But ****, data entry is really boring..arrg

well, you asked for criticism...

also:

And qball, why must somebody be helping me? I've been doing web design since 95 and have taken courses at devry for concept of design. And have taken courses at the UofC For photoshop.
    Ok, do the math. you state 15yrs old.

web design in 95? that's 7/8 yrs ago. When you were, like 7/8?

Let's suppose, I too, have been doing web design since '95 (actually 1725, but not much business back in the, day,lol). Then, easily explain what tools, OSes and browser versions you used in '95, at 7/8yrs of age. Extra credit if you can splain some of the early 'common' browser/version issues.

And I'll actually believe you.

[worries]
    wabbit gets **** kicked by 15 yr old, silly wabbit..
    [/worries]

Then, easily explain what tools, OSes and browser versions you used in '95, at 7/8yrs of age.
    I've only ever used notepad to make pages. When i started out i was using windows 95 with internet explorer 3.0(I acctually have the same computer in my dads basement, i dont think he has reformated the hard drive so if i find it next time im out at his house i'll make a copy of the first page i ever made).

The reason i got into it in the first page is because of my 3rd grade computers teacher(mr. brown). He had what he called the "techie program" and he taught us the basics of html.
    I think it was the year after he left(either 96 or 97) i acctually bought an html book(Sams teach yourself html in 24 hours) from the discount computer book bin at shoppers drug mart (got rid of this 3 years back ).

The only common problem i can remember from 95 was there were alot of the browsers never used to support for frames or tables.

Im 100% honest I started doing web design in 95 and i am not getting any help on this site. And really, i dont give a F**k if you dont believe me, so im not gonna even respond to you if you try and prove me wrong again.

The only common problem i can remember from 95 was there were alot of the browsers never used to support for frames or tables.
    close, frames is correct. memory not good.

A LOT of browsers? kinda like:

mosaic
    netscape
    IE

you were probably using COMPUSERVE, what happened?

Im 100% honest I started doing web design in 95 and i am not getting any help on this site. And really, i dont give a F**k if you dont believe me, so im not gonna even respond to you if you try and prove me wrong again.
    wow, maturity takes time.

Ok, we'll try this:

i am not getting any help on this site
    YOU have ## years, experience and knowledge that could be useful. PROVIDE help!

OR surely someone with your vast experience and knowledge could provide MANY links that have helped you over the years...

like, what help did you recieve in 1998?

[sorry]
    i dont give a F**k
    [/sorry]

either.

[edit]
    don't ask for stuff, like 'Criticism', you can't handle
    [/edit]
    Last edited by qball; 01-16-2003 at 12:13 AM.

twirling arms in front of me shouting "Go qball" "Go qball" "Go qball"

Well maybe not.

Stefan

qball, you never gave me any critisism. You only insulted my ability's as a web designer based upon my age.

All that other **** you said im gonna stick by my word and not even bother responding to it.

Anybody ELSE have any suggestions?

my bad, but, methinks, DocEvi1, will recover...

DocEvi1, I leg kicking AND arm swinging, lol,lol,lol.

qball, you never gave me any critisism. You only insulted my ability's as a web designer based upon my age.

All that other **** you said im gonna stick by my word and not even bother responding to it.
    you spell horbly (may be construed as "criticism"), try:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Criticism

your abilities as a web designer/age, have nothing to do with my "Criticism".

Try this (repost info already provided):

"is, well, green. can you make it "deep purple"?"

oops, may be too may "'s.

anyway, if that is NOT 'Criticism', what is? smartypants...

shows YOUR word is useless, as YOU did post back!

[bad qball]
    post aback again, I DARE you!
    [/bad qball]

[edit]
    something to learn?

DON'T ask for criticism, if you can't handle it.

makes you look stupid.

Don't trust me, try it...
    [/edit]
    Last edited by qball; 01-18-2003 at 01:59 AM.