Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amptron M810XLM....new video card problems

Onboard Graphics and new G4Ti4400 card.....

i have an Amptron motherboard w/ crappy onboard SiS graphics. i just got a geforce4Ti 4400 128ddr video card in hopes to improve my gaming experience. so far i have had a horrible time even getting the monitor to operate properly while running through the new card. all i am getting is the blue message "display cable connected?" and snow/fussy background running diagonally. my motherboard manual says i can disable and/or add an AGP card but so far i am out of luck. is compatability playing a big issue with my current setup? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

FWIW, 1600xp+, 1024 sdram, shared memory onboard SiS card(i usually run it @ 64meg).

any response and/or help is appreciated even if its negative, lol.

Amptron M810XLM....new video card problems

i did a search but didnt come up with the exact answer i was looking for.....

i have an Amptron motherboard w/ crappy onboard SiS graphics. i just got a geforce4Ti 4400 128ddr video card in hopes to improve my gaming experience. so far i have had a horrible time even getting the monitor to operate properly while running through the new card. all i am getting is the blue message "display cable connected?" and snow/fussy background running diagonally. my motherboard manual says i can disable and/or add an AGP card but so far i am out of luck. the manual is very vague and the bios doesnt seem to be cooperating. there is a d-load for my MB on Amptron's site but there isnt a description for it and i dont know what it is. im not one to start dloading bios commands when i dont know what they do. is compatability playing a big issue with my current setup? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

FWIW, 1600xp+, 1024 sdram, shared memory onboard SiS 630/730(i usually run it @ 64meg).

any response and/or help is appreciated even if its negative, lol.

Welcome to Sysopt!

This FAQ is not specifically for the M810XLM, but it is close, as the M810LMR uses the same chipset and same onboard video.

http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html#vga

thats a very, very informative page and i see that someone got the geforce4ti 4400 to work. if they did, i guess i can too.

Is there a jumper or BIOS switch for disabling onboard graphics?
    MS MCP, MCSE

...and please don't double-post.
    MS MCP, MCSE

i posted it here and in the video card section only to get as many responses as possible, not to cause a problem.

the jumpers, i dont know for sure if that is a possibility. the bios setting only gives me 2 choices, PIC or OnBoardAGP. i have tried both with no luck.

Time for a new motherboard, eh?
    MS MCP, MCSE

The onboard video autodisables when you plug an agp card in.
    There is a list of approved/tested vid cards at Amptrons site...
    I'm still learning 24/7

Ultimate Member
    See whether you got the card seated all the way. Seems you didn't. The other issue here is that the SiS 730S chipset is a bit picky about which graphics cards it runs and which it doesn't. See that huge FAQ for user reports.

i have tried everything under the moon and my brain is beginning to hurt.
    i think i just may purchase a new motherboard w/out onboard graphics.

i have already started looking for new boards and came across this one
    MSI K7N2-L NVIDIA nFORCE2 CHIPSET ULTRA ATA133 ATX FORM FACTOR 1xAGP(8X)/5xPCI/1xACR/3xDDR W/ LAN, USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:AMD DURON, ATHLON)

is this a decent board? its priced for like 100 bucks on mwave.com. i will probably just pick this one up if you guys think its a good move.

Are you kidding? That's an excellent motherboard!
    MS MCP, MCSE

ok well, now that i know its a good move, i have a few questions concerning install. i am currently running 98se and i would like to possibly upgrade to XP but i dont know the exact process on doing this. can/will all my data from 98 operate under XP? i dont know anything about O/S beyond 98 so i am clueless as to what steps to take and not lose my current hard drive data.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

EDIT: i guess i should be a little more clear. i suppose i can just burn the data that i want to save onto a CD-R and then do a clean install of XP and then load up my old data from CD-R? it sounds simple i just wasnt sure if the data that was used in 98 would be comatible w/ XP.
    Last edited by BigSmith; 01-08-2003 at 12:43 AM.

Data is data.

You will have to uninstall all system utilities like antivirus, defrag, registry tools, partitioning applications and such before upgading. Aftger the upgrade, reinstall your AV utility.
    MS MCP, MCSE

well i just ordered that motherboard. ok so data is data, i got that in check. check, check, and check on everything else too. anything else i should be looking forward too? by the way, where is a good place to pick up a copy of XP? arent there several different versions of it? which would you recc. for my application?(part time high end gamer, full time browser).