Thread: Bad Antec PS Fan/replace

Bad Antec PS Fan/replace

I have an Antec Truepower PS that is 6 months old. I think that it is like a 320W or 340W. One of the fans the bottom one is going bad or just noisy. I would like to replace the fan in it. So my question is how hard is this to do? I believe that it is a 90mm on the bottom. Just wondering if this is possiable?

The other fan never spins up because the system is very cool.

Ultimate Member
    If its still under warranty send it back. Although its not hard to get into a PSU and fiddle with it it can be dangerous to the system if you do it worng, and dangerous to yourself if theres still a lot of juice in the system

--Jakk

yeah, unless you want that bride of frankenstein look, don't mess with the power supply. there are some capacitors in there that can give you a mean shock. they don't print "achtung" on the outside for nothing.

Ultimate Member
    they don't print "achtung" on the outside for nothing
    *Giggles to self*

--Jak

If its under warrantee - Send it back for replacement. I agree. Most are warranteed for 1 year.

If not, replacing it is not a problem. Make sure its unplugged and removed from the case...

Break the seal and remove the cover screws.
    Some have wires that plug in, others are hard wired to the ps circuit board. Cut any tie straps that get in the way of removal and unplug or cut the wires to the fan. If you have to cut the wires - Cut them near the fan to leave you plenty of wire to work with.

Remove the screws/retainers that mount the fan to the ps case.
    Splice/insulate the wires from a replacement fan.
    Remount the fan and replace the case cover.

Don't touch the other components inside. I have never been zapped by one. There maybe a remote possibility of this happening. I have however, static zapped a couple and killed the power supplies.

Make sure of the fan direction when installing. The replacement case fans I use have a little directional arrow on the fan. You want it to blow out...
    I'm still learning 24/7

Yea I could RMA the thing I am just do not have a spare in the mean time. Assuming that I unplus the PS would something like TriFlow, silicon based work? I should be getting a new box in the next 6 months so I can live with it for now if I can not solve the problem.

I always wanted to get the clear PS mod, it is one of the few things I do not have. If I opne it up going to have to put that on.

I would just replace the fan. It's really no big deal. Every attempt to lubricate a fan I have ever made was a failure in the end. It could be all you really need to do is clean up real good. Dust can make them pretty noisy.

Yep have that can of air now just have to get home to use it. I hope it works, nothing like modding your box adding tons of fans and switches only to have the PS fan go bad.

Loosen up the dust with an artists brush first. It can get pretty caked on.