Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Clocking is bad???

Ultimate Member

Clocking is bad???

I would like all entities to converge upon this thread with their ideas as to why overclocking any entity is bad. It does not have to be a system of technological orientation. It need only display some insight as to why....

clocking is bad.

Last edited by Sterling_Aug; 01-04-2003 at 11:50 AM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    No, overclocking is GOOD!

I have been pushing my systems since the famouse Celeron 366's came out.

If it is done right and with common sense, then there is nothing wrong with it.

If you purposely buy cheap, but highly overclockable, chips, you can save a lot of money.
    This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

Overclocking isn't bad. Full stop.

Ultimate Member
    I am only asking about people's differing views about the downsides of overclockig, not whether or whether not it is fully good or fully bad. It's a question of why. Come on. Make history.

Ultimate Member
    Only downside I see is things can break earlier (they all break eventually). Breaking while overclocking can be exciting and dangerous... adds to the thrill... but then that is a plus

Ultimate Member
    And that is the indirect intent... to show that all bad sides of ocing have goods

Clocking is indeed a very bad thing! And as a graduate of the A+ course I am in a position to tell you why. Chips are made to run at a certain speed. Overclocking makes them exceed the speed they were built to run. This burns out the chip at worst and cuts it's life dramatically at best, not to mention the data loss you will incur along the way due to the many crashes of the OS overclocking will cause. I hate to say this but only uneducated hacks even attempt to overclock delicate electronic equipment No offense, but you hobbiests should get out more and leave your computer equipment in the hands of trained experts in the field. Best regards

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by James_Willamoor
    Clocking is indeed a very bad thing! And as a graduate of the A+ course I am in a position to tell you why. Chips are made to run at a certain speed. Overclocking makes them exceed the speed they were built to run. This burns out the chip at worst and cuts it's life dramatically at best, not to mention the data loss you will incur along the way due to the many crashes of the OS overclocking will cause. I hate to say this but only uneducated hacks even attempt to overclock delicate electronic equipment No offense, but you hobbiests should get out more and leave your computer equipment in the hands of trained experts in the field. Best regards
    IMPOSTER!!!

I knew jameswillamor, and you, sir, are no jameswillamor!!!

If you're going to pull this stunt, at least get the name right!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Hmmm. I really do not think that 23 years as a computer hobbyist and the last 4 years as a multi-certified computer technician (A+, Net+, Novell CNA, Microsoft MCP Win2k Pro, and now working towards Win2k Sewrver) makes me an uneducated hack.

Anyone with $20 for the book and $300 for the two cert tests can pass the A+, BUT it does not make them a trained expert. An expert gains respect by years of experience and the ability to prove that they know enough about the equipment not to push it beyond the design limits.

ALL equipment has a range of design limits. Anyone remember the Celeron 366 processor and how many of them could overclock to 450 MHz or beyond? I still have two that will easily hit 560 MHz. Not bad for a cheap processor designed for 366 MHz!

Push too many buttons around here and we will have to ban your user account for lack of common sense.

Um, I think he was joking....

if it was the real J.Willamor how come he's only got one post. whoever it is; is definetly pushing buttons.

and how comes no one has mentioned a hampster yet?

Ooops... too late, I went and did it!

Ultimate Member
    The Legacy continues...

Hint, hint: Link --> jameswillamor

Arrggghhhh!!!!!
    Last edited by jmichna; 01-04-2003 at 10:38 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Sterling_Aug...
    I smell fresh troll dung... I see troll tracks... I hear trolls mating (now that's sight!)... looks like a troll, sounds like troll, walks like a troll...
    jmichna
    Last edited by jmichna; 01-04-2003 at 10:16 PM.

It all comes down to hampster power, with cars it's horsepower, but of course they are much heavier machines. You can run your hampsters ragged and kill them before their time or you can run them within spec and let them live long, fruitful, albeit limited lives. Wasn't this Mr. Willamor's original point? Personally, I'd rather run em hard and let them poop out young. By then I'll have new hampsters anyway.
    Last edited by AlexGee; 01-04-2003 at 10:21 PM.