Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Clocking is bad???

Ultimate Member
    Ah... I know a guy who has two large exhaust fans exiting the air out of his attic, tis a good thing,

1) attic doesn't heat up to the pt where a spark will catch things on fire
    2) systems don't burn up
    3) user doesn't burn up.. heatstroke, heat exhaustion... all that good stuff.

So ocing is not for the faint of heart nor the technically challenged legend in their own minds?!?

I think that it costs the chip makers alot of money. They make more money on faster cpu's. If/when AMD goes out of business then intel will be alone & cpu prices will rise 1000%.

Originally posted by RLT65
    If/when AMD goes out of business then intel will be alone & cpu prices will rise 1000%.
    I have a feeling that AMD will not go out of business just yet, as most extreme overclockers use Athlons, because they do not dies at highervoltages like P4's do.... and you can use multipliers..... a 3.3GHz Athlon XP would so kick performance wise a P4 4GHz chip....
    thats my opinion anyway

Ultimate Member
    <bump>

troll time vroom

oh dear...
    cV... why??? why oh why did you do that??

i noticed that most of the post was from the ultimates and the seniors, why is there any issues regarding who's the most capable? also was the original JW a cool dude? just curious. i agree with OC'ng since i myself learned it here at SYSOPT and info's really are essential for beginners like me. Getting more juice from what you paid for is not bad since i agree that computers do change fast. Even if the life of your rig is decreased due to Overclocking, by the time it depreciate/dies, it's already OBSOLETE.
    Last edited by cyber_gubat; 08-12-2003 at 09:12 AM.

Well, Yoshi says those who diss overclocking are stupid mofose who were impatiant or didn't know what they were doing, fried the CPU and whatnot, wet their pants, and blaim the comp

Re: Clocking is bad???

Originally posted by causticVapor
    I would like all entities to converge upon this thread with their ideas as to why overclocking any entity is bad. It does not have to be a system of technological orientation. It need only display some insight as to why....

clocking is bad.

If you don't clock, it don't run. Now, if you overclock it, then you are talking about stress testing other components of the system depending on how you do it. Heat is not our friend. Overclocking produces more heat.

Ultimate Member
    Time is never on your side. Time devours your soul, leaving nothing left. Time seeks to destroy you, and it always wins.

Fit as much as you can into time... and clock away!

WORD!

If overclockers made up a sizable market segment we would be trouble, but we don't. I mean if we made up a sizeable share and instead of buying 150 to 500 dollar chips and bought 75 dollar ones and made them into 500 dollar chips, then we'd be causing some serious harm to companies as they wouldn't get as much money, thus they wouldn't be as far into the black (or further into the red in AMD's case) thus have to cut back on RnD, thus we'd eventually be biting the hand that would feed us.

Other than that, unless you plan on keeping your system forever there is no harm... that's why I'm pushing 1.9 volts into my 2500 barton to keep a stable 2.2ghz, and have pushed 2.2 volts (as much as the board would let me) to get it to 2.4ghz First core run - AAUIB? IIRC

'I wanna clock! CLOCK!'

twisted sister anyone ?

For those about to clock...
    Clock is dead...
    etc...

Clocking ate my hamster

Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity must apply here. Since gravety effects time, do computers CLOCK faster on the moon than on earth?